Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Do you throw away the slip covers?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 07-03-03, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do, it just wastes time when all you want to do is watch the movie. Also, some of them fit really tight. Ones I threw away are First Blood,Usual Suspects,Thelma and louise,Harry Potter,One flew over the cukoo's nest,True Romance and Unforgiven. What about you?
Old 07-03-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I personally don't. I see them as part of the collection that my dvd's have become. Yes, they are mainly for watching from a practical sense, but to me it would be like throwing away the packaging and keeping the disc in a plastic bag.
Old 07-03-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No
Old 07-03-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love having the slip covers. The Usual Suspects slip cover is much better than the actual cover art, and I love the Bull Durham slip cover, too.
Old 07-03-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, if I don't like the slipcover (see The Royal Tenebaums) I keep it in a box, stored away, just in case I ever need to sell or trade my DVDs (hey, if push comes to shove, a man has to eat). Usually though, I just keep em' on the cases... Slipcovered DVDs have their own storage space since I organize my DVDs by case type.

Tossing the slipcovers from the WB two discs SEs? That's crazy talk. Someday you'll own quite a few of those and wish that you had em'... Also, FWIW, you should have given that Usual Suspects slipcase to someone you know or offered it here... It was a limited run and is no longer available.
Old 07-03-03, 12:27 PM

It depends on the slip-cover. If its like the Usual Suspects and enhances the cover underneath then yes. If its like Stargate (just a copy of whats underneath) then no. Or if its like Reservoir Dogs and doesn't look as good as the keepcase underneath then no.
Old 07-03-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, I don't toss them. I do find they get in the way though, so most of them (at least those that house a keepcase) are in the closet, stored inside the boxes the Criterion Hitchcock and Kurosawa sets came in.

Last edited by Ginwen; 07-04-03 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-03-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 176 Likes on 131 Posts
I keep the slip covers on, with the exception of The Royal Tenenbaums. For me, it helps to protect the case and I think some of them are pretty cool.
Old 07-03-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Hell no
Old 07-03-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do you throw away the slip covers?

Originally posted by bleak_one
I do, it just wastes time when all you want to do is watch the movie.
If you don't have time to slide the keepcase out of the slipcover, how do you have time to watch a movie?
Old 07-03-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 358 Likes on 255 Posts
I don't throw them away. I usually just keep them on a shelf by themselves.

However, sometimes the slipcover looks better than the actual cover art so I keep them on Thelma and Louise slip cover art is great the cover art underneath sucks so I keep the slipcase on. etc...
Old 07-03-03, 02:05 PM

speaking of the Usual Suspects...does anyone know where i can score a copy with the slipcase? all the places i've checked have the new version without the slipcase. any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-03-03, 02:42 PM

A travesty! I'd never denigrate my collection so savagely. I love slipcases personally, and I keep everything that comes with the dvd, many times even the title sticker. I'm starting to throw away the ads that come with some of them, unless it is a Criterion catalogue, but never something as beautiful as a slipcase! The packaging is part of the fun for me, and judging by the response from people I'm not alone.

But by all means, if you think they suck get rid of them. I agree though, if you would like to dispose of them, trade forum! You could even just offer to ship them to anyone who's willing to give you a couple bucks to cover it. People without the Usual Suspects cover are probably shed tears soon after clicking on this thread.

Interesting topic though, I didn't realize so many tossed their slipcases.
Old 07-03-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I keep them all. The only slip cover I don't have is the one for Close Encounters (2 disk). I had to throw it away after my kid got a hold of it somehow and tore it up.

For The Royal Tenenbaums, I just turn the keepcase around in the slip cover so the keepcase spine faces out. That way I have both cases, but I only see the spine with the nice artwork.
Old 07-03-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll remove them if it's a movie my kid will watch so he doesn't destroy them (The Ultimate Toy Box, Beauty and the Beast, Disney tins, etc). But I save them in a safe location. For my movies, I've leave them. I don't mind taking 20 seconds to get to the disc when I'm planning to spend 2 hours watching it.
Old 07-03-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Absolutely not. If you can't wait the extra 3 seconds it takes to slip it out of the slipcover, or it is just too complicated for you, perhaps you shouldn't be watching DVDs and get back to running the country, W.

K
Old 07-03-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago

Tossing the slipcovers from the WB two discs SEs? That's crazy talk.
it's just all psychobabble to me....
Old 07-03-03, 03:37 PM

Re: Re: Do you throw away the slip covers?

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
If you don't have time to slide the keepcase out of the slipcover, how do you have time to watch a movie?
I leave the slipcovers on, but it does take away precious time I could be using to find information in this forum.

On a quasi-related note, does anyone know when the Indy trilogy is being released? I don't have time to do a search.
Old 07-03-03, 04:54 PM

I remove all of the slipcovers/boxes if there is a slim-case, or an amaray inside the slipcover. Example, I leave the slipcover on for Who Framed Roger Rabbit, because IMO it looks better on the shelf and doesn't damage the case as much. For Thelma and Louise SE, i took the slipcover off and but it in a giant box with all the other boxes/slipcovers. Hope that made sense.
Old 07-03-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I keep whatever comes with the disc originally
Old 07-03-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another no vote.

Of the 8760 hours in a year, I may watch the movie 2 or 3 times. The other 8754 it sits happily in it's original case.
Old 07-03-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fumanstan
Hell no
Agreed, HELL NO. That's like buying a car and scraping the paint off. What do you need the paint for? Nothing. Might as well get rid of it then.

Nah.
Old 07-03-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WestEndRiot
speaking of the Usual Suspects...does anyone know where i can score a copy with the slipcase? all the places i've checked have the new version without the slipcase. any help would be appreciated.
Yeah, in bleak_one's trash!
Old 07-03-03, 09:10 PM
mwj

No Way!
Old 07-03-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also never throw away anything that originally comes with the DVD.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.