Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Star Wars DVD change?

Star Wars DVD change?

Old 07-28-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JONA99

"How is that possible?" Not knowing he has a son, Vader asks the first question that any surprised father-to-be asks.

1) Opening crawl states that Darth Vader is searching everywhere for young Skywalker.

2) Vader line before he arrives at Hoth "The rebels are there and im sure Skywalker is with them."

3) Vader knows Luke's name.

So, the "How is that possible?" line is utter crap unless he is lying right at the face of his master.

Last edited by Lara Means; 07-28-04 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-28-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"How is that possible?" Not knowing he has a son, Vader asks the first question that any surprised father-to-be asks.
The opening crawl and first scene of the film has Vader sending out thousands of probe droids throughout the galaxy, because he is "obsessed" with finding young Skywalker. He *does* know that he has a son at the time this line is uttered.
Old 07-28-04, 06:03 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Lara Means
1) Opening crawl states that Darth Vader is searching everywhere for young Skywalker

2) Vader line before he arrives at Hoth "The rebels are there and im sure Skywalker is with them."

3) Vader knows Luke's name.

So, the "How is that possible?" line is utter crap unless he is lying right at the face of his master.
I thought I'd read somewhere, perhaps even on this very thread, that the Skywalker reference in the opening crawl, and Vader's "I'm sure Skywalker is with them" line, have been removed.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I bet that's the case.
Old 07-28-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
But, do you disagree with ckolchak's central point? That is, ckolchak is pointing out the problems that these "additional lines" create for the film. Do you think he's wrong?
Well, the problems are a by-product of the over-analysis of the additional lines which I was talking about and don't really want to do, so I wouldn't say he's wrong, but why watch a movie if you're just going to nitpick each and every bit in it? Just like his and Terrell's debate on the "planet" in the Yavin IV fleet take off scene. Was it really that big of a deal? Does one really watch Star Wars and look for "shots" and how good they are? Because I sure as heck don't. I want a nice space adventure to get lost in. Maybe if it was a Fincher or Sodergergh film, then I'd really be on the look out for the cinematography but for these films, it's not something I'm thinking about going in.
Old 07-28-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess you just look at this film differently than I do then... I personally think that the original trilogy (especially ESB) is as important -- hell, more so -- than anything by Fincher, et al. I think that ESB is easily one of the greatest films of the 1980s.

And for Lucas to go out of his way to insert a line that makes absolutely no freaking sense in a scene that didn't need the change to begin with... well, I think that is certainly worthy of both comment and a bit of analysis.
Old 07-28-04, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just watched the laserdisk version of Star Wars for the first time in years. And the one thought that comes to mind after it all is:

All these changes are just so damn unnecessary.

The original version looks great. There wasn't one thing I thought needed changing. Yes, the speeder shadow looks better in the new version, but only when you compare them side by side. When you watch the original alone, it's fine.

The majority of these "fixes" may not hurt anything, but there simply was no need for them. The original film wasn't flawed.
Old 07-28-04, 07:43 PM
Banned

I thought I'd read somewhere, perhaps even on this very thread, that the Skywalker reference in the opening crawl, and Vader's "I'm sure Skywalker is with them" line, have been removed.
Oh my God. How can any SW fan in his right mind be ok with this? Seriously?? How can you possibly defend this?
Old 07-28-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh my God. How can any SW fan in his right mind be ok with this? Seriously?? How can you possibly defend this?
I can defend it easily. Because those two references are still in the Empire Strikes Back. They have not been removed.

You're going to have a brain hemorrhage if you don't calm down Rivero. You're going nuts over stuff that hasn't even been changed.

The original film wasn't flawed.
Let's not get crazy here. There are a number of flawed, bad looking shots in the original films. Doesn't hurt to fix them.

- Vader's and Ben's lightsaber during the duel in ANH looked like sticks

- The Rancor sequence in ROTJ had awful matte lines and looked pasted on

- There were tons of matte lines in all 3 films

- Some of the taun-taun shots were dodgy

and on and on and on. I could keep on going, but you get the point. You can argue that they were a product of their time. But you can't argue there weren't any flawed or dodgy looking shots in the originals.
Old 07-28-04, 09:50 PM

I can't wait to see these new films! It will be like getting 3 brand new movies!
Old 07-28-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Terrell
There are a number of flawed, bad looking shots in the original films. Doesn't hurt to fix them.

- Vader's and Ben's lightsaber during the duel in ANH looked like sticks

- The Rancor sequence in ROTJ had awful matte lines and looked pasted on

- There were tons of matte lines in all 3 films

- Some of the taun-taun shots were dodgy

If Lucas only made these kinda changes then nobody would give a shit and there would be no bitching.

Last edited by Lara Means; 07-28-04 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-28-04, 10:44 PM
Suspended

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Anyone (terrell?) notice those DVD pics show more on the sides? (around 20% more in all) I compared them to my WS VHS.
Old 07-28-04, 11:04 PM

Anyone (terrell?) notice those DVD pics show more on the sides? (around 20% more in all) I compared them to my WS VHS.
Hmm, I haven't noticed Artman. They look like they're framed correctly to me, but I haven't compared them.

Here are two comparison pics!

Hmmm..........
Old 07-28-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No difference.
Old 07-28-04, 11:18 PM
Suspended

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Hmm, I haven't noticed Artman. They look like they're framed correctly to me, but I haven't compared them.

Hmmm..........
I think that's a shot from the laserdisc, which i've never seen. So maybe we've been getting shafted on VHS the whole time?

I've also noticed a bit more image on top as well. I don't have a VHS pic handy so, I guess I can't prove it...
Old 07-29-04, 05:58 AM

http://photobucket.com/albums/v296/tk007/OT_DVD_Caps/
Old 07-29-04, 07:31 AM
Banned

Jabba looks like a golden nutsack in that close-up pic.
Old 07-29-04, 07:41 AM
Banned

Let's not get crazy here. There are a number of flawed, bad looking shots in the original films. Doesn't hurt to fix them.
Yes, so by that rationale you'd probably be ok with an updated version of 2001: A Space Odyssey with all new digital effects and a better-looking StarChild. Maybe Ray Harryhausen can ok an update of the effects in the films he worked on. They could replace the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts and the Cyclops in Sinbad with brand-new CGI versions. Lang's Metropolis? Needs SERIOUS fixing, a complete overhaul.
Old 07-29-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

So what is the problem with the fixing of the lightsabers though? What exactly has been done to that, that is makign people upset?
Old 07-29-04, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
Yes, so by that rationale you'd probably be ok with an updated version of 2001: A Space Odyssey with all new digital effects and a better-looking StarChild. Maybe Ray Harryhausen can ok an update of the effects in the films he worked on. They could replace the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts and the Cyclops in Sinbad with brand-new CGI versions. Lang's Metropolis? Needs SERIOUS fixing, a complete overhaul.
Exactly!

Why are there so many apologists for Lucas?
Old 07-29-04, 08:07 AM

GOOD CHRIST! Here we go again WITH THE SAME ARGUMENT FOR THE 10 MILLIONTH F'N TIME!

God damn it give it a rest! None of us think all the changes are good, but bitching endlessly about them won't do anyone any good.

This thread is not called: "Star Wars DVDs: Artistic Merit?" This thread is to share info on the new scenes in the DVDs. Not to talk about the fundamentals of making said changes. If you disagree with any change to any movie for any reason, WHY GET INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION ABOUT CHANGES TO A MOVIE?????? OH YEAH! To piss off those discussing it. Troll.

As far as the diologue change, it does seem to create problems rather than solve them. I think the underlying theme that Lucas doesn't get across really well is that Vader is conspiring behind the Emperor's back. Perhaps this scene the Emperor is basically measuring Vader's reply, trying to see what his reaction will be to the revelation. Plus it can be argued that Vader assumes that Obi-Wan was aiding the force-adept that destroyed the Death Star. Heck maybe "Skywalker" is the "Smith" of the Star Wars universe

Last edited by Qui Gon Jim; 07-29-04 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts
The problem is this. I think we all know that Lucas is full of crap about"original visions" and so forth. We accept it, because we have no way of proving what he originally wanted to do with these movies. Thats fine. If he is going to keep making changes, why can't he change things back that don't work? There is no way in the world that he can't see how stupid some of these changes are. Personally, I think he either has some serious issues about what the OT did to his life or he is going senile. I just pray that he doesnt decide to do episodes 7-9, because then he could really destroy the OT.
Old 07-29-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
How about the whole freakin' plot of ESB is now moot? During the entire movie Vader is pursuing the Millenium Falcon in order to use Luke's friends as bait and set a trap for him. How can he do this if he doesn't know he has a son???
Old 07-29-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally posted by rennervision
How about the whole freakin' plot of ESB is now moot? During the entire movie Vader is pursuing the Millenium Falcon in order to use Luke's friends as bait and set a trap for him. How can he do this if he doesn't know he has a son???
We didn't know he had a son either till the very end, yet the movie made perfect sense to us all along up to that point anyway.

Luke = the guy who blew up his Death Star. That's enough motivation itself to hunt him and use his friends as bait.
Old 07-29-04, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Look, you are not buying the god damned movies - so why the F do you gotta keep crapping all over the place. GO AWAY!

Christ, some people.
Old 07-29-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never knew that you can only discuss DVDs only if you intend to buy them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.