Is anyone disappointed that the starwars collection

Community
Search

Is anyone disappointed that the starwars collection

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappointed? No, As long as I have the 3 movies on DVD thats all I care about. The 4th disk is just a bonus not a requirement.
Old 06-21-04, 11:21 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yes! I am disappointed that the starwars collection too!

Old 06-21-04, 11:23 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really. I don't watch many extra's anyway.
Old 06-21-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 170 Posts
If people complain about the 4th disk, then please look up the definitions of "extra" and "bonus"
Old 06-21-04, 11:27 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was hoping for at least a 6 disk set. I'm sure they would of been able to find enough material to fill up the disks.
I was hoping they'd include deleted scenes as well. But afterall that, I'm glad they're finally being released, so I'm not going to complain too much.
Old 06-21-04, 11:39 AM

I'm not disappointed at all since the amount of extras I usually watch is next to none, so what is going to be included is good enough for me. Now I might be a little disappointed that they are not giving us the original films, but I'm not going to loose any sleep over that..
Old 06-21-04, 01:34 PM

we needed at least 2 disks per movie

The Documentaries:
The Making of Star Wars
Special Effects The Empire Strikes Back
Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi

all these should be included as well as deleted scenes.
Old 06-21-04, 01:36 PM
Retired

I'm sure there we'll be another release down the road with a lot more extras, for those wanting it. I'm buying this and will decide then if the new release is worth it when it comes out.
Old 06-21-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JangoJason
we needed at least 2 disks per movie

The Documentaries:
The Making of Star Wars
Special Effects The Empire Strikes Back
Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi

all these should be included as well as deleted scenes.
I'm sure that some/much of this will already be covered in the new documentary on the 4th disc, but I agree. I'd love to get these classic docus.

I'm still hoping (probably in vain) that these will be offered as "bonus" discs from various retailers.

(And you forgot "From Star Wars to Jedi - The Making of a Saga")
Old 06-21-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
If people complain about the 4th disk, then please look up the definitions of "extra" and "bonus"
ex-tra (noun): an additional benefit or feature

bo-nus (noun): anything given in addition to the customary or required amount

Your statement implies that anything beyond the basic movie(s) is a bonus and therefore we should be grateful for what we get. That's a little naive.
Old 06-21-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don't worry -- Lucas will find enough time to re-release the DVD set another five or six times before HD-DVD makes a splash in the consumer market.
Don't count on it. It took him forever to release this one.

Even back in the LD days before we had discs like LotR 4-disc sets, etc. that box was considered to be pretty much a joke.
The Definitive Collection was hardly a joke. It had all 3 films with stunning LD transfers, the best they had ever been up to that point. It had featurettes, trailers, behind the scenes photographs, and commentaries. Okay, it doesn't live up to what we have on DVD, but considering most LDs didn't have any bonus materials to speak of, it was pretty damn good. It also had a very nice hardcover book detailing Lucas' work. Plus a booklet with a listing of features and chapter stops, as well as scans from the films. Not to mention the best packaging LD had ever seen.
Old 06-21-04, 02:11 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Terrell
Don't count on it. It took him forever to release this one.
I'm sure working on the Prequels had a lot to do with that. There's no doubt there will be another release. When Episode 3 hits DVD, there will probalby be a boxed set with it, the two existing releases, and maybe a new disc of extras.

A couple years down the road we'll probably either see a new boxed set of either all 6 movies, or new boxed sets for each trilogy, with totally new extras.

Not that I"m complaining. I'll just see what's on them, and upgrade if I think they warrant it.
Old 06-21-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by eau
As long as it got no jar jar it in, I'm happy.
Prepare to be disappointed again, then.
Old 06-21-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
Can you explain please? Aside from the fact that that set includes the original films (not the SE)... what else is so great about it?

It has trailers, a couple of short featurettes, a stills section, and the worst joke of a commentary track in the history of the medium. Wow, amazing.
I think he meant "can't live up" in terms of number of discs. The Definitive Collection presented each movie in CAV format and contained 9 double-sided discs, plus a hardcover book.
Old 06-21-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

can you say THE COMPLETE STAR WARS SAGA
Old 06-21-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Terrell
The Definitive Collection was hardly a joke. It had all 3 films with stunning LD transfers, the best they had ever been up to that point. It had featurettes, trailers, behind the scenes photographs, and commentaries. Okay, it doesn't live up to what we have on DVD, but considering most LDs didn't have any bonus materials to speak of, it was pretty damn good. It also had a very nice hardcover book detailing Lucas' work. Plus a booklet with a listing of features and chapter stops, as well as scans from the films. Not to mention the best packaging LD had ever seen.
1. The transfer was very good, but also had video glitches, a few seconds of missing footage on ESB, and spelling errors in the subtitles, all of which had to be corrected in future pressings.

2. Again, I don't think you can even count those "commentaries" as an extra. They were made up of audio segments from the other supplements on the disc! And there was only about 30 minutes of content spread out over 6 hours... with no guide to know where the comments were. (The enclosed guide to the commentaries had incorrect timecodes for everything and was useless.)

3. The hardcover book had already been out on the market for almost a year when the set was released. A bunch of people (including me) already owned it.

4. Chapter stop booklet? Are we seriously considering that a feature? (That's almost like Disney's "full color artwork on disc".)

5. I'm not comparing it to "what we have on DVD". If you go back to alt.video.laserdisc postings when it came out, a lot of people were pretty disappointed with the extras. The movies themselves were great, but paying $250 for the set? Many people were disappointed. Especially when compared to some of the other sets that were coming out at the time (The Abyss, T2, Tron, etc.) The set was behind the curve even by 1993 standards.

And, although I may not be comparing it to DVD, the person I was responding to *was*. "[The new DVD set] could never live up to the Definitive Collection laserdisc set". That statement makes no sense to me. There was nothing all that special about it, save for the fact that it was (at the time) the best presentation of the films. But as a benchmark, it can be surpassed today without even breathing hard.
Old 06-21-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z
I think he meant "can't live up" in terms of number of discs. The Definitive Collection presented each movie in CAV format and contained 9 double-sided discs, plus a hardcover book.
Ah, that makes a bit more sense if he was taking about # of discs instead of actual content/supplements.

I don't think anyone here would advocate increasing the number of discs, but forcing a side break every 20-25 minutes.
Old 06-21-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Wish they were 2-disc each like the prequel trilogy is, for consistency's sake, but really, I'm not disappointed too much. We're finally getting these movies on DVD.
Old 06-21-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally posted by Wannabe
ex-tra (noun): an additional benefit or feature

bo-nus (noun): anything given in addition to the customary or required amount

Your statement implies that anything beyond the basic movie(s) is a bonus and therefore we should be grateful for what we get. That's a little naive.
That's exactly what I'm saying. They're called bonuses, not requirements.
Old 06-21-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Is anyone disappointed that the starwars collection

Originally posted by zidane349
is only 4 disks?
Really hard to be disappointed over something I do not have
Old 06-21-04, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert
Can you explain please? Aside from the fact that that set includes the original films (not the SE)... what else is so great about it?

It has trailers, a couple of short featurettes, a stills section, and the worst joke of a commentary track in the history of the medium. Wow, amazing.

Even back in the LD days before we had discs like LotR 4-disc sets, etc. that box was considered to be pretty much a joke.
Yeah... and the DVD transfer takes exactly 4 discs. Just like the official release, except that the films are the ORIGINALS.
Old 06-21-04, 10:47 PM

Re: Is anyone disappointed that the starwars collection

Originally posted by zidane349
is only 4 disks?
Nope not at all. Tons of extras out there to be put on a mega-box set, and hopefully by then Lucas will include the Original Trilogy.

In the meantime I'll wait, there is absolutely nothing on this set that makes me want to buy it.
Old 06-22-04, 12:01 AM

Ive waited this long, i can wait some more. Im going to sit back, and let all you guys make this thing a blockbuster seller. Of course though they will print waaaay more than they can sell. Ill swoop in 6-8 months from now and this thing will be $20 (ala BTTF). Or even better yet, maybe they will come out with the set that we all wanted to begin with, and all you silly early adopters will have to double dip. RESIST PEOPLE, RESIST!
Old 06-22-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by eau
As long as it got no jar jar it in, I'm happy.
Originally posted by Josh Z
Prepare to be disappointed again, then.

Lucas has lost his mind. 'Empire' is now officially ruined.
Old 06-22-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, the set seems fine to me.

The only thing I am disappointed with is how much complaining people will do toward anything Lucas does.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.