Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else hate those stupid dvd protection stickers..

Old 06-18-04, 04:45 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

omg i just got lotr rotk and i ripped part of the plastic to the dvd case i swear those things are evil!
Old 06-18-04, 05:31 PM

i don't like it when there's three of them, and one one has instructions to "pull".
Also, the first thing I do after opening a new DVD is remove, bend in half, and throw away the security device, itself; I know some evil conglomorate is tracking all of them...

-AC

edit: in an ironic twist, aren't the stickers on snappers so much easier to remove? too bad the cases themselves suck

Last edited by acostigan; 06-18-04 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-18-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
The only time they really bother me is when I get an older catalog disc and the adhesive seems to have mind-melded with the case
Old 06-18-04, 08:02 PM
Suspended

Yup, they're very annoying. It's okay if they stick that shit to the plastic part of the case, but when it's stuck to the art work I get totally PO. I requested an exchange once from amazon for damaged disc 'cause the protection shit's stuck to the insert. The nerve of these people.
Old 06-18-04, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I despise those things with every fiber that is within my being!!

- burninator
Old 06-18-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've really never had it be a problem...although I know things get screwed up sometimes. I still think that some people get in a big hurry and instead of taking their time....just start ripping it to hell.

when I've noticed a problem like this, I grab a cotton-ball....dab a little lighter fluid on it and gently rub it into the problem area. I let it sit for a minute and then try it out. usually works.
Old 06-18-04, 09:23 PM

I made a thread about this same subject a few months ago. The key is not to not follow the directions on the sticker and "pull" it off but take a knife and cut it right down the middle and peel them away easily.
Old 06-19-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I really don't mind it, because I take my time opening a new DVD to make sure I don't damage the case. However, I hate it when the paper insert is put in wrong so that the top is not covered by the plastic case. You end up with some of the ink being ripped off with the sticker.
Old 06-19-04, 01:27 PM

I wonder if the stickers really make a significant difference in reducing thefts. I also noticed that R2s and R3s don't use stickers.

I just received a shipment of a bunch of R1s and R3s recently and it was so much more convenient opening up those R3s.
Old 06-19-04, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TomOpus
The only time they really bother me is when I get an older catalog disc and the adhesive seems to have mind-melded with the case
Yep, I recently picked up Tora, Tora, Tora at the Wal-mart $9.xx rack and it's bottom sticker had done just that. I usually use a (pocket) knife to peel these stickers away. I get the corner started and them grab the flap and pull away. However this time, on both the front and back, the botton sticker had "mind melded" with the plastic cover sleeve and in the process, my pocket knife actually cut into the plastic sleeve and therefore ruining the sleeve. I eventually just had to slice down the center of the case crack and then remove each half sticker that way.

That this happened on this title is actually quite ironic because my sister has this title too and when she removed the stickers, she actually sliced through the whole sleeve and cut it off. Thus leaving her a case with no sleeve to hold the cover-art.
Old 06-19-04, 01:45 PM

Worse than the security stickers I have it when the security tag thing inside comes loose and is stick to the dvd or it is places underneith where the dvd goes. I've had both of these happen to me at least once.
Old 06-19-04, 03:03 PM

Here's a fantastic case of security tag fun (those metal bars inside the sticky label).

I believe it was Boogie Nights: 2 Disc edition, bought from Best Buy when I was visiting Boston from the UK. Clear DigiPack Trays, and the manufacturers have placed the tag UNDERNEATH the tray!!!

Madness.
Old 06-19-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by OREOSpeedwagon
I made a thread about this same subject a few months ago. The key is not to not follow the directions on the sticker and "pull" it off but take a knife and cut it right down the middle and peel them away easily.
That's the way to do it.

Also, when you're in a store, check to make sure the coverart isn't peeking out and the sticker is partially on it. This will avoid the ripping of the coverart.
Old 06-19-04, 03:11 PM
Cool New Member

The other simple solution is to take a hairdryer, set it to low heat, and point it at the sticker as you peel it off. The heat will melt the glue and let the sticker come off easily.
Old 06-19-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts
Originally posted by OREOSpeedwagon
I have found this to be the easiest solution.
Old 06-19-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
This is not as bad as trying to remove rental places stickers on the discs

Now that is a biatch.
Old 07-13-04, 02:14 PM

Now that Warner has decided to ditch the snapper case maybe the distributors of DVDs can finally get rid of the last packaging barrier to customers (security stickers). I don't mind one sticker with a mild adhesive but 3 stickers hermetically sealed with a superglue backing is damn infuriating!

Getting my brand new Lord of the Rings trilogy only to hose up the covers trying to get them open makes me want to say bad words.
Old 07-13-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is most infuriating is that the only reason for all this annoyance is to prevent shoplifters from taking the disc out of the case and bypassing the security device. Of course, like most security measures the only people it bothers is the honest people who follow rules and have to deal with it, the thieves just slash open the case with a blade and take the disc anyway!

I thiink those of us who order online and not in a store should get a DVD with NO stickers on it since there is no store to shoplift from.

Sometimes when I am prying off the third dam plastic sticker (designed, by the way not to be removed easily in ONE piece or ONE pull) I fervently wish for the designer of these to have his car crash off a bridge into water and have his only escape route through the window be sealed off with about 85 of these stickers.
Old 07-13-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Internet rule #1: For any question that begins "Does anyone else..." the answer is YES.
Corollary: For any question that begins "Am I the only one who..." the answer is NO.
Old 07-13-04, 02:45 PM

Not me. I love them. I save them all in an evergrowing "sticker" ball.
Old 07-13-04, 02:53 PM

I have experienced a problem that is exactly the opposite of this. Instead of being stuck to it, it seemed to come or rather easy and left a really bad residue on the package. It's almost as if someone had opened and stuck it back on. I know that wasn't the case cause I bought it new. Also the DVD was OOP and had probably been in the package for a couple of years.
Old 07-13-04, 04:52 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I hate it when the insert sticks up a little out of the case so that the security sticker sticks to the insert.

There is pretty much NO way to remove the sticker without ripping some of the cover insert.

Grumble.
Old 07-13-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jough
I hate it when the insert sticks up a little out of the case so that the security sticker sticks to the insert.

There is pretty much NO way to remove the sticker without ripping some of the cover insert.

Grumble.
Yeah, huge pain in the ass.
The security stickers on the side and bottom don't bother me however; they come off in one motion as they don't tear (the top one always does) and seldom leave residue. I wish the top one was like that.
Old 07-13-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just got a movie released last week and it was mind-melded, and also smelled real funny (no i don't smell all my dvds, but as i took the plastic wrapping off, it just smelled...odd)...then realized it was the security stickers..
Old 07-14-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The other day I bought a new dvd, and the the case ended up being SOooo messed up from trying to remove all three security stickers, that i threw the DVD and case away and kept the stickers. The stickers played just fine! (one even had a DTS track that wasn't advertised).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.