Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What was your single BEST and WORST DVD Purchase?

Old 01-16-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hello!

This thread, as stated, is a way for us to list (and explain if you like) your best (and most proud of) and worst (least proud of) picks.

For me, it would have to be

Best: Twilight Zone Gold Edition (49 Disc Set).

Worst: My Big Fat Greek Life: The Entire Series

Bar none, this is the worst DVD I own. Why I still own it, I have no idea.

But that is just me!

--LVM

P.S. Okay, I am fully admitting that I copied this topic from another site, but I found it really compelling and is a great way to see the simmilarites (and dissimilarities) between collectors like all of us here. So Sue me. :-)
Old 01-16-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

best: LOTR:EE's all of em

worst: orange county...everyone thought it was hilarious...i thought it was awful (and i really like jack black).
Old 01-16-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must admit, I own Orange County as well. I actually "kind of" liked it, mainly for the cameos of random stars and the performance of Catherine O'Hara (note that I did not say any of the kids).

But I totally see where you're coming from.
Old 01-16-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best or favorite: Band of Brothers

Worst : MIB 2 I got this film when I first got my DVD player last March and paid $21.99 for this POS as a blind buy.

Last edited by island007; 01-16-04 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-16-04, 04:49 PM

Best: Beatles Anthology. Started watching it at 9:00am and finished it at around 8:00pm or so. One of my better days.

Worst: Requiem for a Dream. Bought it in a two pack with Pi for 15.99 at Best Buy, and I have no desire to ever watch it again. Because of my dislike for the movie, and the "un-rewatchability" of the movie.

Worst gift DVD: Austin Powers in Goldmember. Saw in theaters, hated it. Hate the Infinifilm DVDs for having to rewatch the movie to see the extras, and I think I only watch the Britney Spears music video extra, never the movie.
Old 01-16-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Best... Indiana Jones

Worst... Gosford Park
Old 01-16-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best - Alien Quad
Worst - Mad City...ugh...
Old 01-16-04, 04:57 PM

For me, best would be a tie between two films that expanded our children's cinematic horizons, so to speak:
-Duck Soup....because my 11 year old daughter found out that four wacky guys in a 70 year old movie could make her laugh harder than Adam Sandler ever will.
-North By Northwest....because my 14 (then 13) year old was able to recognize and appreciate a perfectly crafted thriller, and we we on the edge of our seat together for two hours.

Best as far as price: This Is Spinal Tap Criterion Collection used in mint condition at Game World for $14.99.

Worst: Armageddon
Old 01-16-04, 05:16 PM

Best - Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas : CC

Worst - Probably Gosford Park. I bought it on a blind buy and it really isn't a movie I can get into. I may watch it again to give it another chance but I will probably end up turning it off after 30 mins again.

Other bad purchases would be stuff like American Pie , Hollow Man and stuff I bought when I was younger. I still watch them occasionaly though for a "fun" type movie I guess.
Old 01-16-04, 05:46 PM
Retired

Best- LOTR EE.

Worst- The original release of Se7en. Was one of the first discs I picked up, didn't even know what a flipper was.
Old 01-16-04, 05:47 PM

Best- Amadeus [Director's Cut]
Worst- Naqoyqatsi <--- Nothing like the first 2, too many shitty digital effects.
Old 01-16-04, 05:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Hard to say best as I have so many that I have yet to see and therefore judge like Alien Quad and Indy set and just got The Killer: Criterion and have seen the movie awhile ago, but yet to experience this version..but I guess that would be my prized possession, so..

Best: The Killer: Criterion Collection

Worst: Last House on The Left (Wes Craven)
....I watched this and actually threw it in the garbage, never to be seen again. I kinda regret, just because I did literally throw money away and would have liked to have just to be in the collection, but it just perturbed me at how awful it was.
Old 01-16-04, 05:58 PM

Best: Trigun boxset (bought it for $16 @ suncoast) ties w/
Scarface giftset (absolutely my favorite movie)

worse: showgirls (POS movie, bad acting and even worse story line)
Old 01-16-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Best:

Fassbinder's BRD Trilogy from Criterion - perfection.

Worst:

The Apu Trilogy from Columbia - it's a travesty how these films were treated for thier dvd releases - they took forever, there are no extras, they weren't remastered, they look and sound horrible and they retail for a premium price of $30 each - WTF?

Last edited by slop101; 01-16-04 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-16-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gosford Park listed as "Worst" twice . . . hmmmm . . . I was considering this on a blind buy, too.

fumanstan . . . Nakai . . . would you two care to extrapolate a little more as to what make it you "Worst"?
Old 01-16-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best: The Scarface giftset - when it was originally released, I drove all over jersey to find it.

Worst: The Island of the Dead - Got it as a blindbuy from the $5.99 section at Target, well, what a horrible movie. Probably Malcolm McDowell's worst.
Old 01-16-04, 06:11 PM

I can't decide for my best.

My worst is definitely STIGMATA. ugh!
Old 01-16-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best: Alien Quad

Worst: Original Kevin Costner Robin Hood.....damn flippers...
Old 01-16-04, 06:38 PM

My Best: Gosford Park
My Worst: Pi
Old 01-16-04, 06:43 PM

Best: The Godfather Collection, neatly swooped up for free with a gift certificate from my job Even though the set could have been put together a little bit better, it's still the centerpiece of my collection.

Worst: Indiana Jones trilogy. I'd never seen these movies, so I bought the set blind. Since I'm a big Spielberg fan, and these films are so well regarded, I figured they must be great, but I thought all three movies were pretty mediocre. I own plenty of DVDs of worse movies, but I didn't pay $50 for any of those.
Old 01-16-04, 07:26 PM

Best: Family Guy Box #1
Worst: Legend of the Red Dragon (some blind buy Jet Li, Dubbed movie) Traded it in to BBV and still felt happy.
Old 01-16-04, 07:32 PM

The Apu Trilogy from Columbia
Sorry to hear it was a worst. I so wanted to pick this up during the DDD sale, but couldn't find it on the site. Now it sounds like that was a good thing I didn't find it.

Sad really... these films never did get much respect in the west.
Old 01-16-04, 07:38 PM

Gosford Park listed as "Worst" twice . . . hmmmm . . . I was considering this on a blind buy, too.

fumanstan . . . Nakai . . . would you two care to extrapolate a little more as to what make it you "Worst"?

Well like I said it was a blind buy and I didn't know a whole lot of what it was about. I read some reviews and it seemed like a good mystery movie and it got some Oscar hype so I figured I would buy it.

It's just really not a movie I can sit down and enjoy. The pace is slow and I don't enjoy the old 1930s rich people at a mansion setting. It has been a while since I watched it so maybe I'll put it in soon and see if my opinion is changed.

Not a bad movie or anything just not something I would watch in the first place so was kind of a waste for me.
Old 01-16-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best: Getting Trainspotting from Canada

Worst: Getting The Rage: Carrie 2 because the girl in the movie went to my college--I haven't been able to get 10 minutes into the movie.

P.S. I liked Gosford Park, which was a surprise to me (I just went because my wife and my mom picked it, and I was trying to be cooperative.

Last edited by Ginwen; 01-16-04 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-16-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Gosford Park

I rented this one, as I had a feeling I would not like it, and sure enough, it pur me to sleep within an hour. They should sell it in the pharmacy isle as a sedative.

I relate it to the English Payment, a film the Academy loved, and everyone else hated (for the most part).

Alien Quad and Indy were close seconds for me. The Quad is such a well put together set that is is hard to compare to.

--LVM

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.