Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Schindler's List is anyone else NOT buying?

Community
Search
View Poll Results: Schindler's List is anyone else NOT buying?
NOT
38.07%
BUYING
59.39%
NO, 5 finger discount
2.54%
I'm buying Twikoff's List instead
0%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Schindler's List is anyone else NOT buying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-04, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jough
I'm an amateur screenwriter and was writing a holocaust comedy a few years ago before I realized that someone had already beaten me to it with an entire television series. So I shelved it.
Jerry Lewis also made a comedy about the holocaust. I believe he played a clown who entertained children in the concentration camps. It was never released and Lewis is said to have all copies of the film.
Old 01-02-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im buying,this film is on my top 10 best movies of the 90s,so I gota buy it,im just glad its coming out when it should have been out 3 years ago.
Old 01-02-04, 02:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by CaseyB
Jerry Lewis also made a comedy about the holocaust. I believe he played a clown who entertained children in the concentration camps. It was never released and Lewis is said to have all copies of the film.
The Clown Who Cried. From what I've read, it seems the film was very similar in tone to Life is Beautiful.
Old 01-02-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

The Day the Clown Cried

http://www.subcin.com/clowncried.html
Old 01-02-04, 03:54 PM

I missed most of it in the theater because I was making out.
Old 01-02-04, 06:44 PM

I found "Band of Brothers" to be very moving and "Saving Ryan's Privates" to be silly and melodramatic (especially the scenes where the war stopped for a few minutes so Tom Hanks could deliver a ridiculous speech).
Did you actually see Saving Private Ryan? I ask because I'm not sure what ridiculous speeches you are referring to. Hanks' character was a stoic who deliberately avoided monologues. And the privates joke is as dull now as it was five years ago.
Old 01-02-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sorry, but I just find a thread asking who's not buying a particular DVD kinda silly. Then again, I never really understood the ones asking who was buying a particular one either. So maybe I'm just a sourpuss. Or something.

I'll buy it though.

K
Old 01-02-04, 10:30 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll most likely buy it.
Old 01-02-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Moefuscious

Making out in Schindlers List.

I'll definitely be picking this one up. I watch this at least once every couple months on LD.
Old 01-02-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
You cant call it crap! ITs about the HOLOCAUST!!!!
Sigh...so if you don't like the film, you're automatically Anti-semetic?

Personally, I've seen it once...I don't think it's the masterpiece that it has the reputation for being.

I do, however, see why people have been clamoring for this on DVD...

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 01-03-04 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-02-04, 11:47 PM

I'll rent it because I think Fein's plays one nasty Nazi.

Then again what do I know, I am thinking about getting Season 1 of Lost In Space in a few weeks. Now that is a masterpiece!!
Old 01-03-04, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Moefuscious
You stole this joke from the Seinfeld show! Now quit trying to pretend you are a comedian. You have the plagiarizing down though!
Old 01-03-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Frank S
You stole this joke from the Seinfeld show! Now quit trying to pretend you are a comedian. You have the plagiarizing down though!

DOH! Nice catch...I'd forgotten about that episode.
Old 01-03-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This in response to posts on the first page but if anyone here wants to see a REAL movie about the holocaust, check out Shoah, Claude Lanzmann's 9 1/2 documentary. It's absolutely devastating and it does cover the Warsaw uprising in detail as well as resistence within the concentration camps and numerous other topics. I posted a review of it here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7898

It's expensive but it does take a while to watch. I marathoned it to do the review and just felt absolutely spent afterwards.
Old 01-03-04, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I completely forgot about Life is Beautiful, which of course was a holocaust comedy that offended no one.

And yes, I've seen Saving Private Ryan. Hanks gives no less than six monologues in the film. I actually admire much of the film, just not the middle hour and a half. And the last scenes of the film are a little too maudlin and sentimental.

Of course, the whole conceit of the film (sacrificing ten men to save one) is a bit silly from the outset.
Old 01-03-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course, the whole conceit of the film (sacrificing ten men to save one) is a bit silly from the outset.
Wow, jough . . . I'm surprised to here you say that. There are plenty of instances in real life everyday where a larger group of people put their lives on the line for a smaller group. Some examples that come to mind: firemen, mountain rescue, special forces, regular military . . . not to mention any of the spontaneous acts of heroism that regular people do everyday around the world.

Curious to know why it bothered you here?
Old 01-03-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
This in response to posts on the first page but if anyone here wants to see a REAL movie about the holocaust, check out Shoah, Claude Lanzmann's 9 1/2 documentary. It's absolutely devastating and it does cover the Warsaw uprising in detail as well as resistence within the concentration camps and numerous other topics. I posted a review of it here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7898

It's expensive but it does take a while to watch. I marathoned it to do the review and just felt absolutely spent afterwards.
Excellent review of Shoah, Gil. I hope you will review Schindler's List as well.
Old 01-03-04, 02:37 PM
Banned

Shoah is also one of my fav movies. And yes, it was an excellent review.
Old 01-03-04, 03:47 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by talemyn
Wow, jough . . . I'm surprised to here you say that. There are plenty of instances in real life everyday where a larger group of people put their lives on the line for a smaller group. Some examples that come to mind: firemen, mountain rescue, special forces, regular military . . . not to mention any of the spontaneous acts of heroism that regular people do everyday around the world.

Curious to know why it bothered you here?
I'm very much a believer of "Wrath of Khan" philosophy that states that the "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

It's not that I think that a larger ground putting themselves on the line for a smaller group is silly in itself - just the way they went about it in SPR. The military during WWII would likely not be so eager to bring Ryan home as to put a larger number of more experienced officers in harm's way to retrieve him (considering that Ryan was in no greater danger than anyone else, your fireman analogy isn't really apt here).
Old 01-03-04, 04:00 PM

I think most of the scenes you refer to are less monologues than dialogues, but whatever. You still own a copy, so no point in debating.
Old 01-03-04, 04:40 PM
Suspended

It was a gift. And that opening 20 minutes is just like a video game. Exciting stuff.