Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Schindler's List is anyone else NOT buying?

Community
Search
View Poll Results: Schindler's List is anyone else NOT buying?
NOT
38.07%
BUYING
59.39%
NO, 5 finger discount
2.54%
I'm buying Twikoff's List instead
0%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Schindler's List is anyone else NOT buying?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll get it at Best Buy the 1st week cause the price will be good, and I'll watch it once. Then, it'll collect dust on my shelf for a long time.

Last edited by Hammer99; 12-31-03 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-31-03, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Hammer99
I'll get it at Best Buy the 1st week cause the price will be good, and I'll watch it once. Then, it'll collect dust on my shelf for a long time.
Yeah, That's probably going to end up what I'm going to do (well other than buying it at BB specifically).

Same thing happened when I bought the Pianist. Bought it, watched it once, enjoyed it, saw for 10 dollars used and mint at BBV a couple months later, and currently sitting lonely on my shelf.
Old 12-31-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
I won't be getting this because I only like to get movies that I enjoy watching. I just can't forsee a situation where I'll say to myself, "Woohoo, I'm in the mood for Schindler's List!!" Unless maybe my collection is stolen and I feel like sticking my head in the... yikes I better not go there. Oh man that's terrible, I feel like I should shower or something.. DOH! Ok I'm leaving.
Old 12-31-03, 06:52 PM

I'll definitely pick this one up.

BTW, are there any good movies about the German anti-Nazi resistance movement during the 3rd Reich era?
Old 12-31-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will buy it, and I will add it to my collection so my children can learn from it and help prevent history from repeating itself.
Old 12-31-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I won't be buying it.
Old 12-31-03, 09:44 PM
Banned

I've never seen it so I'm buying it.
Old 12-31-03, 10:56 PM

the film is not depressing - the subject matter is but the overall message is one of faith and hope in the human spirit. the film is without question a masterpiece of cinema and from a pure technical outlook the film is amazing - the cinematoraphy, editing, lighting, set design, music and authenticity of the period is unmatched.

buy it keep it show it to everybody you know.
Old 12-31-03, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not buying it and have never seen it - It might be a great movie just not my type of movie ( a tear-cherker from start to finish).
Old 12-31-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by bboisvert

... Schindler's List is a very good (but not "great" or "masterpiece") film about an important subject.
agree 100% with the statement!!!!

An important film, good film, BUT not the cinematic masterpiece many claim it to be. Just because the film deals with the Holocaust and its aftermath does not make it a masterpiece.

I can not understand how someone could enjoy this film (as it has been indicated already)...maybe moved, sure, I would agree with that. Furthermore I have been increasingly disappointed with the fact that every film that looks into the horror of the Holocaust has been tagged as a masterpiece (at least this seems to be and it has been the trend with the Academy...they pay a significant amount of attention to those sort of films...often neglecting other). It is a good film...that's all!!

With this said, I thought that Liam Neeson gave a pretty good performance.
I am not buying it!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-01-04 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-01-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll rent it. It's a movie one can only watch a few times in a lifetime.
Old 01-01-04, 12:15 AM
dgc

Just finished watching "The Grey Zone". Talk about a one time viewing. Wow!!! Difficult to watch and very moving.

I may in fact only watch it a few times but it is an important film to me so I will be purchasing SL.
Old 01-01-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sticking to the subject of 'holocaust dramas' I would easily recommend The Pianist over this...and I am Jewish. Polanski's treatment of the subject feels much more truthful, objective and emotionally affecting to me, though I do admire Spielberg's film for the most part.
Old 01-01-04, 03:27 AM
Suspended

I already have it..

I bought the bootleg more than a year ago. No need to buy the official version, as they have the same features: The movie, DD 5.1 and a DTS track.
Old 01-01-04, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: I already have it..

Originally posted by Sosai X
I bought the bootleg more than a year ago. No need to buy the official version, as they have the same features: The movie, DD 5.1 and a DTS track.
Its amazing that we have a "Post of the Year" so early into the year.
Old 01-01-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that it's very overrated. I mean 9th on the AFI Top 100 list? But you can't call it crap either, and I would be interested to hear Canadian Bacon expand upon his statement too, rather than face a ban.

And I won't be buying, just not a lot of rewatchability. But if there are some compelling suppliments and it retails on the cheap(which rumor has it will since Speilberg doesn't want to appear to be lining his pockets on the Holocaust), I'll definately be willing to consider.
Old 01-01-04, 04:38 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ephemeral_Life
BTW, are there any good movies about the German anti-Nazi resistance movement during the 3rd Reich era?
Why? There was resistance?!

Anyway, I have no plans to buy it. The rewatchability factor again. Too depressing.

But yes CB, explain how it's 'crap'.

Last edited by TCG; 01-01-04 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-01-04, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
But if there are some compelling suppliments and it retails on the cheap(which rumor has it will since Speilberg doesn't want to appear to be lining his pockets on the Holocaust), I'll definately be willing to consider.
The retail price will have nothing to do with Spielberg not wanting to look like he's profiting from the Holocaust. The price of the VHS and Laserdisc of "Schindler's List" were in line with other tapes and Laserdiscs when they were released, and the DVD will follow that pattern.

From the beginning Spielberg did not keep any of the money he made from "Schindler's List." He used his profits to establish the Righteous Persons Foundation and the Survivors of the Shoah Visual History Foundation.
Old 01-01-04, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Hammer99
Sounds like me. I have way too many discs I spent good money on and now don't watch. I've been paying attention to the "rewatchability" factor a lot more lately, and will probably be passing on this one.

-AC
Old 01-01-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Nope. Just not a movie I would pop in to watch multiple times. I've seen it probably 3 times. And I think I have the VHS lying around here somewhere if I'm dying to watch it.
Old 01-01-04, 11:26 AM
dgc

Originally posted by TCG
Why? There was resistance?!
Yes, more of a uprising in the concentration camps... Checkout the film "The Grey Zone".
Old 01-01-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There was plenty of resistance, that's why they established Dachau. Resistance soon became very dangerous...so anti-Nazis kept their mouths shut. The concentration camps were initially set up for anti-Nazis, and became extermination camps later. In 1944 a group of Army officers tried to kill Hitler with a bomb, remember?
Old 01-01-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was well done.

I don't know if I'll buy the DVD because of the same reason stated by a few others. I've seen the movie once and don't know if I'll ever be in the mood to watch it again.

This movie reminds me of the book "All Quite On the Western Front." I had to read it for school years ago and I remember really liking it. But I've never been able to re-read it as it was depressing as all hell.
Old 01-01-04, 04:38 PM
Banned

Schindler's List is big on realism but highly melodramatic. As long as the people are aware that the film is historical fiction (among other things, the movie created a lot of composite character) of one of the worst tragedies, I would recommed as a rental.

The best Holocaust movie that I've seen is definitely the Pianist. That should be a blind buy.
Old 01-01-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's juvenile posts like this from people like Candian Bacon who give you guys in Canada a bad name!

This is a obviously 3-year-old's attempt at trolling... or another show of anti-semetic ignorance that is pervacive on the Internet!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.