Any DVD's with No-Music option?

Old 01-01-04, 08:31 PM

Any DVD's with No-Music option?

Way back when the first Pink Panther movie came out, the soundtrack album had a few sentences of the liner notes written by "Inspector Clouseau". He said something to the effect that the album allowed you to hear the music without seeing the film; unfortunately there was no way to see the film without hearing the music.

Well, now there's a way. There've been several movies released with music-only tracks, sometimes featuring a composer's commentary during the "dead" spots. Has any movie come out on disc with a no-music track? I'm not looking for one, just curious.
Old 01-01-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nowadays, most movies' soundtracks are split with music and effects as one mix and dialogue as another mix, so that it can be easily redubbed for foreign releases. I guess they could do an effects and dialogue mix with no music, but what would be the point?
Old 01-01-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a sound effects-only track on A Bug's Life and the Toy Story discs.
Old 01-02-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Robert Redford (Or Paul Newman?) actually did a couple of films that featured no music at all.

Other than that, I don't see any studio that would remove the music unless the director requested it as part of a DVD or something...
Old 01-02-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It would be an interesting choice for Scarface... "you want a rap soundtrack? Well, we've removed the Moroder score! Go nuts! Make it polka if you want!"
Old 01-02-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

It's fun to listen to trailers that are in discrete 5.1 with only the center channel (all others turned off)- most of them don't have any music in the center channel so all you hear are the voices.
Old 01-02-04, 07:01 PM
Banned

Criterion's disc of The Passion of Joan of Arc (a silent film) contains a film score in 5.1 and a "nothing" track that litterally contains nothing, just silence.
Old 01-03-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish more studios would issue their sit-com box sets with a "No Laugh Track" option. Fox does this for M*A*S*H and it is much appreciated. I would re-buy the Sports Night box set if they could remaster it with this feature.