Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Survivor? (USE A QUESTION MARK IF YOU'RE ASKING A QUESTION)

Survivor? (USE A QUESTION MARK IF YOU'RE ASKING A QUESTION)

Old 12-18-03, 04:53 AM

Survivor

Anyone know if they are going to ever release these all on DVD? I know they have highlight DVD's now.. but I want the actual episodes... need to relive the memories!
Old 12-18-03, 05:53 AM

I also would like to know, missed out on a few season's of Survivor already.
Old 12-18-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't know, but I have a question for those interested in this. If they were available on DVD would you rent them or buy? If buy, why?
Old 12-18-03, 07:32 AM

The question is why not buy them?
Old 12-18-03, 08:33 AM

Give me season sets of this and the Amazing Race and I'd pick them up in a second!
Old 12-18-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I don't know, but I have a question for those interested in this. If they were available on DVD would you rent them or buy? If buy, why?
Same reason you buy any movie or TV set. I love Survivor. If you dont "get it" it is tough to explain.
Old 12-18-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
Same reason you buy any movie or TV set. I love Survivor. If you dont "get it" it is tough to explain.
I'm sorry if my question came off negatively or as being too vauge. I guess my question, or remark perhaps, is that I never thought of a show like Surivior as being rewatchable (not because of the instrinsic quality of the subject matter, but rather because of the format of the show -- long build up to a big conclusion), and I was looking for some insight into what other people take from it or experience it on successive viewings. I can see how (1) that question could be asked of any show or film, and (2) it can be difficult to answer.

I retract the question.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 12-18-03 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-18-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that while I think Survivor is one of the best shows of all time, I don't see much rewatchable value with it.

HOWEVER, I have many friends that want to collect the full sets of this series, so there is certainly a market for it.

I think there's hope since CBS's Big Brother 3 has been released on a full-season DVD.
Old 12-18-03, 11:10 AM

I'd love to see this set as well. I haven't watched a full season since the first one since it's up against a show I have to watch each week, but I love the shows I've been able to catch.

I don't think of Survivor as a game show so I think it would certainly be rewatchable. The gorgeous background with the "storyline" make it an easy choice for me.

A few years ago (during the 2nd season) I met Mark Burnett and asked him about a complete season on DVD and he didn't seem too high on it. Hope he changed his mind since then. I can't understand why CBS would give us one of the worst seasons of Big Brother (many would argue all the seasons of that show are awful) and not Survivor or Amazing Race.
Old 12-18-03, 02:17 PM

I'm sorry if my question came off negatively or as being too vauge. I guess my question, or remark perhaps, is that I never thought of a show like Surivior as being rewatchable (not because of the instrinsic quality of the subject matter, but rather because of the format of the show -- long build up to a big conclusion), and I was looking for some insight into what other people take from it or experience it on successive viewings. I can see how (1) that question could be asked of any show or film, and (2) it can be difficult to answer.

I retract the question.
I see what your saying now... well, I can see where your coming from but it's different with Survivor... the show is an epic, you can get very attached to the characters & don't wanna let go & get dissapointed when it's all said & done. That is why I would love to watch them again even tho I already know the outcome of most.

I'm heavily attached to Elizabeth from the second series... she was such a sweetie! I would have given anything to be in Roger's place in that series.
Old 12-18-03, 03:34 PM

I retract the question.
And I am sorry if my reply came off that way. I think they are rewatchable, unlike a regular game show. I would like to see things that I missed the first time. Also, no episodes except the first season have been repeated, so if you missed an episode, you were basically screwed.
Old 12-18-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm content just watching the highlights from each season, such as the fights and plot twists. I don't need to re-live every moment, especially when I already know the outcome of each challenge. However, CBS stopped releasing the Best of "Survivor" DVDs after season 2. I hope they release more of these instead of full season box sets for those of us who want to save a few bucks.
Old 12-18-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would buy every season of Survivor on the release date, if not sooner. Very re-watchable.

Also, I believe this thread should have a question mark at the end of the title. In fact, I recommend this title:

"Survivor...Season Box Sets Ever?"

...as, of course, we've already been given some disappointing "best moments" discs...
Old 12-18-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by evenswr
...as, of course, we've already been given some disappointing "best moments" discs...
I was happy with them. Perhaps CBS could make everyone happy by releasing more "best of" DVDs along with whole season sets like Warner Bros. did for "Friends."
Old 12-18-03, 05:48 PM

We demand Richard Hatch Uncensored!
Old 12-19-03, 06:59 AM

As with any TV show, give us all or give us nothing. Let viewers choose the moments they want to see again. Those Friends discs were a HUGE mistake, and have since been remedied.
Old 12-19-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
As with any TV show, give us all or give us nothing. Let viewers choose the moments they want to see again.
Yes, but your way means every buyer has to pay $40-$50 (whatever) for a season box set even if he or she is only interested in key moments. If you don't like the cheap "best of" DVDs, don't buy them. Wait for the season box set instead.
Old 12-20-03, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Joe Schmoe
Yes, but your way means every buyer has to pay $40-$50 (whatever) for a season box set even if he or she is only interested in key moments.

Sounds suspiciously like the argument for pan and scan. "I'm just interested in the key moments of the film, I don't need to see every little piece of the screen."

If you don't like the cheap "best of" DVDs, don't buy them. Wait for the season box set instead.
How long am I supposed to wait? They haven't even released a "Best of" DVD for season 3 yet, and we're almost on season 8!
Old 12-20-03, 05:58 AM

Yes, but your way means every buyer has to pay $40-$50 (whatever) for a season box set even if he or she is only interested in key moments. If you don't like the cheap "best of" DVDs, don't buy them. Wait for the season box set instead.
Yes but who is to decide what the "best" moments are. This is highly subjective.

Why should I be happy that a studio is putting their resources behind "best of" while making me wait for the whole package. Survivor is like any other show. TV on DVD should be uncut and assembled in season formats released in entirity. I say this about any show there is
Old 12-20-03, 06:05 AM

I'm all for uncensored versions lol .. especially for the Amazon series.

A few years ago (during the 2nd season) I met Mark Burnett and asked him about a complete season on DVD and he didn't seem too high on it. Hope he changed his mind since then.
Well.. DVD's have grown a lot over the last couple of years... I'm sure he has noticed this.. I bet a LOT of those 25 million that watch it want the full set DVD's.
Old 12-21-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds suspiciously like the argument for pan and scan.
Nope. I hate pan & scan, but that's a movie issue; "Survivor" is a game show. Big difference, at least IMHO. You want to re-live every moment of "Survivor"? Great. Buy the box sets if they're ever made. And if they ever release more "best of" DVDs, I'll buy those.
Old 12-21-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope. I hate pan & scan, but that's a movie issue.
Joe, why do you hate pan & scan?
Old 12-22-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Joe, why do you hate pan & scan?
Because it doesn't fit my 16X9 TV screen.
Old 12-22-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because it doesn't fit my 16X9 TV screen.
So you must hate this disc:

Old 12-22-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gjamesm
Give me season sets of this and the Amazing Race and I'd pick them up in a second!
I remember seeing both Big Brother and an Amazing Race at BB sometime early this year or last.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.