Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

I thought Jackson said no more DVD releases? (LOTR related)

Community
Search

I thought Jackson said no more DVD releases? (LOTR related)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-03, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by djtoell
Why not? Directors say this all the time. Jackson wouldn't ruffle any feathers to say it. Sorry, but your rationalization doesn't hold any water.

DJ
It absolutely does. The Ridley Scotts and David Finchers can tweak with the studio and not really worry about it. PJ is probably in that club now, but up to the success of TTT, he had only one hit under his belt, FOTR, and it would be a new director's suicide to tangle with the studio.

Anyone that has seen ROTK cannot possibly say that this is PJ's definitive version of the film. Sauruman is NOT in the whole movie. There is nothing between Eowyn and Faramir until the very end. I loved ROTK, but bring on the EE! TTT EE is so so much better than the theatrical, and I would say there are things in ROTK that make less sense not having seen the EE or read the books. The same goes for TTT and FOTR EE.

Jackson is being political and perhaps it is in his nature to be respectful of the people he works with/for. Don't get uptight, noone is "attacking" PJ.
Old 12-20-03, 09:45 AM

The Mouth of Sauron was one thing I was looking forward to seeing.

Too bad it's not in the film.

You can tell, though, at many many many points throughout the film, that PJ wanted to stick some stuff in, but was forced not to.

Look at the opening of the Black Gates, for example. There's obviously some stuff missing there.

Anybody know if the Houses of Healing will be in the EE?
Old 12-20-03, 10:08 AM

Houses of Healing will be in.
Old 12-20-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
like i have said anyone would be foolish not to triple dip on these classic films. At least he is releasing them unlike Lucas and his Star Guerras!
That's an interesting way to put it...it would be foolish not to buy a film three times?
Old 12-20-03, 03:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by chipmac
Count me as one who thinks PJ prefers the EEs. He's said that the EEs are for the fans of the book and that they would want to see these scenes added and I think we can agree that he's one of the book's biggest fans.
Yeah, but at the same time, he's also the director. It's hard for him to be objective. And when you put in so much work on something in editing, trying to make it the best you can be, you start to look at the film simply from an editing standpoint. So I could see where he genuinely thinks the theatrical cuts are better.

And, for the record, I think he's right about Fellowship. The EE has some worthwhile scenes (specfically the extra stuff with Galadriel), but on the whole, the theatrical cut tells you all you need to know and the pacing is exquisite.

The funny thing is, though, is that with a lot of people now having seen the EEs in the theater, thanks to Trilogy Tuesday and the theaters than ran the EEs by themselves, I bet if you asked them how it was watching them without pausing to make tea (as PJ put it), they would tell you that they had no problem watching the EEs in the theater. And, in the case of TTT, it was better than the theatrical one.

Still, I can see where PJ might seriously prefer the theatrical cuts.
Old 12-20-03, 09:23 PM

well, i'm still waiting for the isolated score...it's coming someday!