DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   I thought Jackson said no more DVD releases? (LOTR related) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/334276-i-thought-jackson-said-no-more-dvd-releases-lotr-related.html)

Arnie Grape 12-07-03 01:13 PM

I thought Jackson said... (LOTR related)

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montr...4-6EED7735C2D2

An article from the Montreal Gazette has an interview with Ngila Dickson who did costumes for LOTR. Here is the surprising part she says:

And then she drops a teaser - "and I'm already hearing rumours about next year." Pressed, she will say only it's for a "vast, gigantic" future DVD release of the entire trilogy.

This is quite the surprise. I thought I recalled Peter Jackson saying that after the EE's there would be nothing else released.

What are everyones thoughts?

Arnie Grape 12-07-03 01:14 PM

btw, this was posted at www. theonering.net, a reputable source.

sicklerice 12-07-03 01:27 PM

Let them release an even bigger cut. I personally found the TTT:EE a bit overdone. Of course the logical step would be to release a huge complete TRILOGY box with some kind of insane extra that's not available on the EEs.

As long as they release a ROTK:EE that goes nicely with my other two I will be happy.

Neitzl 12-07-03 01:48 PM

I'm not really too bothered about this. I'd buy anything that deals with LOTR, so I guess I'm a fanboy of these movies. What I would like is if all three are presented as one long film. No opening credits for parts II and III, no titles saying FOTR, TTT, or ROTK. I dunno, I'll buy a new gift set.

QuiGonJosh 12-07-03 02:13 PM

I would love to...and so would Jackson for them to cut the entire thing together in chronological order has one big 12 hour film. That would be a helluva thing!

B.S.Preston,ESQ 12-07-03 02:16 PM

i will heppily triple dip on these pups. :) :drool: I want soooooo much lOTr.

TomOpus 12-07-03 02:17 PM

I don't know what she would be saying about next year since 2004 is pretty much both RotK releases.

duz 12-07-03 02:20 PM

Seems to me shes just refering to a boxset.

Jericho 12-07-03 02:25 PM

Yeah, may just be a set with the three movies included. I can't imagine there being that much new material worthy of a re-buy anyways. I wouldn't get too worked up about it

DeanoBKN 12-07-03 02:57 PM

I'll easily triple dip on the films if they release them as one long 12 hour movie. If it's just more extras though, i'll pass. I got MORE then I need with the EE's

Ephemeral_Life 12-07-03 03:24 PM

It's not unlikely that there'll be a boxset of all three EEs, maybe with a bonus disc of retrospective interviews a year or two after the hype has died down. Who knows...

scroll2b 12-07-03 03:47 PM

exactly, it sounds just like a boxset to me.... all the EE in one set

Pants 12-07-03 03:49 PM

I thought I recalled Peter Jackson saying that after the EE's there would be nothing else released.
No that was me.

I said "I'll buy the EE's and that's it." :)

Class316 12-07-03 03:57 PM

Or just wait for the HD versions (you KNOW that one is coming)

rushmore223 12-07-03 04:10 PM

Whats he gonna do, go and film the stuff he left out? ugh.. does this mean Tom Bombadil? Maybe he is more like Lucas than we thought.

lisadoris 12-07-03 04:20 PM

I'm quite pleased with the EE so another release would have to be pretty damn spectacular for me to fork over more $$$.

Hobgoblin 12-07-03 05:03 PM

Originally posted by rushmore223
Whats he gonna do, go and film the stuff he left out? ugh.. does this mean Tom Bombadil? Maybe he is more like Lucas than we thought.
That would be great if he did that. I also wish he would film the scouring of the shire as a straight to video release.

sicklerice 12-07-03 05:09 PM

There is one interesting possibility:

What if ROTK:EE is only available in a gigantic LOTR Trilogy:EE Package?

I'll throw back my head and cackle with insane glee, if they do that!

Groucho 12-07-03 05:12 PM

Listen to the Fellowship commentary: Jackson mentions a possible future release. The change he specifically talks about is changing the Fellowship Gollum to match the new character model used in the second two films.

Arnie Grape 12-07-03 05:46 PM

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm a big LOTR fan and a release of a combination of all 3 movies (as some of you have mentioned) would be cool. I just don't want something to happen like sicklerice mentioned.

speedy1961 12-07-03 05:50 PM

He's also indicating that he'd like to direct The Hobbit:

Peter Jackson Wants THE HOBBIT
Posted on Tuesday, December 02 @ 08:54:12 EST by Ajax (804 reads)

LORD OF THE RINGS director Peter Jackson says he definitely wants to direct THE HOBBIT, but it's in New Line's court.

Sci Fi Wire had the details:

Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson told the Australian news.com.au Web site that he is now interested in helming a movie version of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. Jackson said that Rings studio New Line Cinema had yet to speak to him about The Hobbit and added there were some difficulties related to the rights for the book.

But, Jackson said, "certainly if they want to talk to me about it, I'd be keen. It would be wonderful to complete the set of films." The Hobbit, which Tolkien published in 1937 before starting on The Lord of the Rings, is a children's story about Bilbo Baggins' first encounter with Gandalf, Gollum and the One Ring.

Lord of the Rings executive producer Mark Ordesky confirmed to the site that "there could be a movie about The Hobbit. Enough said." Before that, however, Jackson will have to complete work on his upcoming remake of the classic SF movie King Kong.

Sorry for the slightly off topic post but it IS Jackson / Tolkien / Lord of the Rings related.

fumanstan 12-07-03 07:33 PM

Ah yes, the ol' DVDtalk stigma where if its LOTR or Star Wars, exceptions to rules like double dipping and director's vision are ok :) Anyway, considering how worked up people get about double dipping for 15 dollars, you would think ~75 bucks for all 3 extended editions or ~150-200 for the gift sets would make people a little more picky about a double dip :)

Dammit 12-07-03 08:30 PM

The EE's will suit me just fine (until HD-DVD of course :) ).

madcougar 12-07-03 08:31 PM

No skin off my back. I rented the first two, and will rent the third when it comes out on DVD.

Drexl 12-07-03 08:47 PM

Let's wait and see what happens before replacing the "s" in "Jackson" with a "$."