Meaning of Life replacement disc?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-03, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone received their Meaning of Life replacement disc? I know it's only really several days since mid-November, but it'd be good to hear it when someone does just so I know it's coming. Thanks.
Old 11-23-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually just got back from a weekend trip and found it in my mailbox. I guess it came yesterday. It has a V2 around the edge like the Back to the Future replacements as well.

I only sent the mailer in this last Monday, 11/17, since I wanted to wait until after "mid-november" and my package has an 11/20 postmark date. That's some quick service!

Last edited by pinata242; 11-23-03 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-24-03, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the flagging problem fixed? (Someone at HTF posted that it wasn't on the copy he got.)
Old 11-24-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't know. I don't have component inputs on my TV to utilize progressive scan. That was the problem with the original disc as I understand it. I only got the replacement because I obviously plan an upgrade in the future and didn't want to miss the opportunity now.

If you know another way I can test the flagging issue, I'd be more than happy to let you know what I find.
Old 11-24-03, 12:29 PM

I just got my disc, and on my machine (Apex AD-1500) the problem is exactly the same. Now, I know it's a low-end player, but I've never had this kind of problem or anything even close with any of my other hundreds of discs, so this is really beginning to bug me. I called a Universal number I found by searching (1-818-733-0226), but there was no answer. And I let it ring probably more times than the beginning of Once Upon a Time in America.

Here are my questions, if anyone has any ideas - what might the problem be? Is it with my player and not the disc, and if so, is it something I might be able do adjust in my player settings? Is it possible that some of the "corrected" discs might still be faulty while others are indeed corrected? What the ****?!
Old 11-24-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mookyman,
If you have a friend with another type of player, why don't you try it on a different machine.

Also, pinata242 mentioned that the new version was marked V2 around the outside.
Does this marking seem like it would be on all new versions, in case I want to try to find a newer one in a retail store?
Old 11-24-03, 01:51 PM

Just checked my mail and I got mine as well...I hope it's not still screwed up like a previous poster mentioned, but mine DOES have a "V2" after the "made in the USA" so I have my fingers crossed!
Old 11-24-03, 04:47 PM

I got mine today, and nope, it's not fixed.

I'm not very pleased at the moment at all. I ran mine through my JVC XV-N50 Progressive Scan DVD player, and the results were mostly the same. A wee weeeee bit better, but still very bad.

I then put it in my Playstation2, and the results were even worse.

I am thinking of trying it in my Sony DVD player, which is not hooked up at the moment, but I'm getting a gut feeling it will not work in that one either.

My disc does have the "V2" after the "Made in the U.S.A.", I regret to report.

This was my first ever DVD recall, and things were going so smoothly, untill today. What are the chances of them recalling the second version(V2) of the disc? I'm thinking little to none, but I'll keep my hopes up for now.
Old 11-24-03, 04:59 PM

Meaning of Life Replacement Disc

I recieved my replacement disc (one) today (11/24) - and much to my dismay, it is still horribly "jaggy". Unbelievable. This occurs on my Pro-Scan JVC DVD player AND my XBOX, and it is the same problem as before. I have a 1,000+ DVD collection and do not have this issue on ANY of them. I can't believe it - I have already emailed a complaint to Universal Studios but I'm starting to believe they are uncapable of fixing this!
Old 11-24-03, 05:43 PM
colossus

Re: Meaning of Life Replacement Disc

Originally posted by sdon1969
I recieved my replacement disc (one) today (11/24) - and much to my dismay, it is still horribly "jaggy". Unbelievable. This occurs on my Pro-Scan JVC DVD player AND my XBOX, and it is the same problem as before. I have a 1,000+ DVD collection and do not have this issue on ANY of them. I can't believe it - I have already emailed a complaint to Universal Studios but I'm starting to believe they are uncapable of fixing this!
Denon DVD-2900 in mode 1, progressive out, onto a Sony 53" RPTV set for anamorphic squeeze.

It's still there though not as bad. Which really isn't saying much.

Idiots.

Old 11-24-03, 05:45 PM
colossus

Originally posted by darkside
The flagging issue could be seen on any TV, not just progressive scan. I just got the replacement disc and the issues are fixed. The picture looks great and you can pause the disc without seeing any jumpy lines.
What player do you have?

DVD-2900 is cadence-based (thus more-or-less immune to flagging) and it's still there. They obviously didn't remaster the transfer.

Old 11-24-03, 07:26 PM

Got mine today and I don't think it's fixed. While I don't have a progressive sacan capable TV, I've noticed that 2 out of every 5 frames are still jittery when in slow mo or pause. Plays fine at normal speed as it did before. I've tried it on my Sony DVP-S530D and my new Panasonic DMR-E80 with the same results.
Old 11-24-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I stand corrected. I took a quick look at the disc and didn't notice anything at first, but its definitely not fixed. It might be a little less noticable at normal speed though. I think I noticed it more on the old disc.

All the original problems are there when pausing or using slo motion. I have no idea what Universal did, but they didn't correct the problem at all.

Last edited by darkside; 11-24-03 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-24-03, 09:30 PM

Well I just emailed Universal to complain and pointed them to this forum for more proof. I suggest we all flood them with email and phone messages as a protest.
Old 11-24-03, 09:58 PM

Im sure there will be a few things brought out by the studio worth getting in the future, but ANYTHING from Universal that I might be on the fence about (The Hulk is a prime example) I won't buy it. The damned company just flat out quit trying....

And to think this studio brought some of the very best DVDs in the old days (12 Monkeys, Apollo 13)...
Old 11-24-03, 10:01 PM
Cool New Member

WORSE!

On my Apex AD-1500 it looks like the problem is about 10x worse than the original disk!!!

How can this be? This is a FIX? Can a MAJOR studio screw up sooooo badly?
Old 11-25-03, 12:47 AM

Just tried my replacement in my Liteon LVD-2001 and it's still the exact same problem. I'm wondering what exactly Universal did to "fix" the problem, aside from stamping the DVD with a V2 label and claiming everything is now okay. Morons.
Old 11-25-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, should i hold off on requesting a replacement disc (is it too late?), since the general consensus is that the replacement isn't anywhere near an improvement?
Old 11-25-03, 10:09 AM

Got a very short response to my email to Universal.

"We are researching your issue"
Old 11-25-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: WORSE!

Originally posted by bobletteross
How can this be? This is a FIX? Can a MAJOR studio screw up sooooo badly?
Yes, if the studio is Universal.
Old 11-25-03, 02:00 PM

"we are researching the issue"

Im sure they are. Just like they did by blaming the initial release on an absolutely rediculous reason like Progressive Scan players (I personally got the same results on THREE different non-PS players) I wonder if they will even acknowledge any problem with "V2" (yes those are sarcastic quotation marks)

...and if the DO, I wonder what their excuse will be. Is it my TV this time, Universal? Maybe it's because my floors are carpeted and not hardwood....ect.
Old 11-25-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In case any of you lost the email address, here is where to send your complaint to Universal about this fiasco:

universalstudios&[email protected]
Old 11-28-03, 12:25 PM

Has anyone gotten a relpy back yet?
Old 11-28-03, 03:03 PM

Well what do ya' know!! Disregard my last post. I just got a letter in the mail today. It says...

"Pleas disregard the replacement version 2 for "Montey Python's the Meaning of Life" you recently received. a new updated version will be sent to you shortly.

For further information plese email or call toll-free:

(lists the e-mail that RevCarl gave us above)

888-304-0608

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Video
Consumer Relations Department

Lets hope it works this time.
Old 12-04-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by raiders757
Well what do ya' know!! Disregard my last post. I just got a letter in the mail today. It says...

"Pleas disregard the replacement version 2 for "Montey Python's the Meaning of Life" you recently received. a new updated version will be sent to you shortly.

For further information plese email or call toll-free:

(lists the e-mail that RevCarl gave us above)

888-304-0608

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Video
Consumer Relations Department

Lets hope it works this time.
I tried that phone number and got a "We're sorry your call can not be completed as dialed..." message. Is there a working number I can call? Are they supposed to be issuing a V3 replacement disc any time soon?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.