Search this Thread

Old 09-08-03, 01:45 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
!

http://members.aol.com/savetele/savetele.html
Old 09-08-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what did you expect from an AOL page?
Old 09-08-03, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That page has got to be a joke. Or perhaps the ramblings of a complete lunatic. I mean, hell, the numbers don't lie.

K
Old 09-08-03, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey nickmondo1, do the world, this forum and me a favor.....do a search for threads like this. Most of the time it's a joke posted by someone who likes to get a rise out of the crowd. Many of us who have been here for a few years have seen it over and over again.

I'm all for helping the new people and I don't try to talk down to people but this topic just has a reputation of going south very fast. I do my best to help out new members but I felt this was just a troll feeding. Seems I may be wrong.

If you really feel the need to go off on me again my e-mail is in my profile....feel free to use it. I'd hate to get banned for having a fight in a forum. Not sure you'd want that for yourself either. I do hope that you learned what you needed to know but I sure hope you also stayed FAR away from the page lined above. If I'm going to bad mouth or talk down to anyone it would be the moron who felt that info was funny or correct and wanted to share it with others.
Old 11-27-03, 01:24 PM
Banned

Hey! If you need proof, TRY and watch Last Action Hero as I am on TNT (We Know Drama) right now. It is the pan and scan version and it make sone litterally dizy to try and watch it. This film is one of the best examples as to why P&S is bad, mmmkay?
Old 11-27-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DVDude!
I watch DVDs in widescreen on a 27" 4:3 TV and a 20" 4:3 computer monitor. Until I get a widescreen set, this is fine for me. It doesn't suck, IMO.

Once I grew a brain and realized the benefits of widescreen (probably ten years ago or so), I've hated pan 'n' scam. Pan 'n' scam hasn't seemed better because it fills up my screen. Pan 'n' scam sucks.

To clarify: if the image is 1.85:1, you'll have little black bars. If the image is 2.35:1, you'll still have black bars. Go here for an example:

http://www.widescreen.org/examples/l..._02_full.shtml
sorry, I never bought this argument. I just watched x2 widescreen on my brothers 20 inch tv sitting on a bed about 7 feet from the tv and could see the picture fine.
Old 11-27-03, 03:39 PM

The other day when I was at Best Buy browsing I overheard some old lady asking a female salesperson if she should buy widescreen or fullscreen.

The CSR not only explained to the old lady the differences between wide and full, but also why widescreen is better. She even explained to the lady what anamorphic was.

I was totally floored when I overheard this.
Old 11-27-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: !

Originally posted by Sosai X
http://members.aol.com/savetele/savetele.html
"While no part of the original movie image is cut or blocked by lettershlocking/widescreen, the black bars do block a portion of the television screen. This is wrong, and prevents anyone from watching or enjoying the film.. 99.999999999999% of the viewing public recognizes this for the atrocity it is. Yet the advocates of this want to take away your right to watch and enjoy movies on video, broadcast tv and cable, by pushing this lettershlocking on us. They can and must be stopped. They will be. The twenty-first century will be a totally lettershlock-free time! FREEDOM!
It's about time someone stood up to you LetterSCHLOCKING fiends! Ruining other people's enjoyment of movies just so you can squash the picture down to look like it's a theater screen. How do you sleep at night? How?
Old 11-28-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
Hey! If you need proof, TRY and watch Last Action Hero as I am on TNT (We Know Drama) right now. It is the pan and scan version and it make sone litterally dizy to try and watch it. This film is one of the best examples as to why P&S is bad, mmmkay?
also an example of why this movie is bad
Old 11-28-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by cruzness
also an example of why this movie is bad

That's actually not a bad film at all. Total Film picked it (and
Blade Runner, Citizen Kane, Brazil, Fight Club, and Once Upon A Time In America, among others) as a "Flop that rocked" - a film that did poorly with initial criticism and/or poor box office, but has become understood and appreciated in time. As TF mildly puts it, "History will reprieve it".
Old 11-28-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is my favorite passage by far from the "Lettershlocking" manifesto...

For more information, email [email protected]. Email from lettershlockers is no longer answered, as of April 27, 1999. We have no interest in debating them, and, as they have nothing legitimate to say, there is no point in dignifying their ludicrous arguments by responding to them. Hey lettershlockers--go away--we will no longer spend even one second responding to you. We're going to organize the majority and totally put an end to lettershlocking, the vilest evil of all time. FREEDOM!
I guess the email he was receiving wasn't too favorable.
Old 11-28-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a) the OAR on most film is some kind of widescreen.. I dont like half the movie being chopped off and the rest repackaged like in fool-screen / pan-suck versions of films. I know the editors who do pan/suck try their best, but really, we're talking about ART here... would you chop 6" of either side of a rembrandt just so it'd fit a frame you own?

b) human beings have eyes that are oriented side-by-side, so naturally a screen that is significantly wider than tall is more enveloping than an almost-square one.

c) human beings are generally oriented vertically (ie standing, sitting, walking, running etc) so a widescreen allows you to be relatively close to the characters and yet show a significant amount of information on either side of said characters. This is great when you want to have "epic" vistas or scenes where you want the person talking and the person listening close up and yet still in the frame at the same time.

j
Old 11-28-03, 05:37 PM
Banned

LAH is the best paradoy on the formulaic action-cop movie. Period. IMHO.
Old 12-02-03, 04:38 PM
Cool New Member

I have read the stories from forum members about trying to educate people about WS versus FS. They all had a common theme to them. The forum member is standing there and overhears a conversation involving people looking for a FS version of a movie. I mean I have read that scenario twenty times if I have read it twice.

Anyway, today, at CC it happened to me. I am standing there and a couple had a clerk running around, looking for FS Pirates of the Caribbean while they slide the DVD cases out of their paper jackets looking for a FS. They were beside themselves. I mean this was a really big deal for them. I had never really thought about how die-hard some people are, how passionate, for FS. They were buying two, one for themselves, one as a gift and I could tell that if they couldn’t find FS, they weren’t buying.

That is something to consider when you think about the studios and their strategy of how many WS/FS to put out. Make fun of me if you wish but I found this remarkable. If Jack Sparrow wasn’t filling their screen well by gawd he wasn’t invited into their living room.
Old 12-02-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Okheresthedeal
If Jack Sparrow wasn’t filling their screen well by gawd he wasn’t invited into their living room.

Great line . . . welcome to DVDTalk!
Old 12-02-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First of all, let me just say: I LOVE OAR. (Um, at least I love what we've chosen to accept as the reasonable definition of OAR. What I really love is when the entire picture originally shown in movie theaters is what is reproduced on my screen. This is what people usually seem to mean when they say "OAR." That is to say, a tiny little box in the center of the screen, 37 pixels by 20 pixels, is technically the correct aspect ratio for a movie projected with a 1.85:1 aspect ratio, even if it cuts off an incredibly large amount of the sides and top, but that's not what I want. I want the original projected picture. But OPP doesn't have the same ring as OAR, so I guess I'm OK with OAR. But in all actuality, I'm down with OPP.)

However, I believe that this is simply my personal preference. I think it is unfair to judge others for preferring Pan and Scan. Pan and Scan, like letterboxing, is simply one solution to the problem of fitting a rectangle inside a square.

Last edited by evenswr; 12-02-03 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 05:09 PM
Banned

Well yeah I think people should be able to have full screen if they want, and if they are dumb enough to buy an inferior product, but I wish it should cost more money for the fuul frame since there is what seems to be a laborious process of full framing an widescreen movie. Just as long as everything is released in OAR and I can buy it then fine. Oh and CLEARLY mark on the package or put a big old sticker on the wrap saying so so it is very clear.

I also hate when they call it "Standard." If anything OAR is standard, Full Frame should be labeled as "less movie" version or edited version or something it is anything but standard.

OAR=
P&S= :
Old 12-02-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

thats good that pirates didn't get full screen. we shouldn't have to force to choose for every single title.
Old 12-02-03, 07:40 PM

I used to like full screen better. But now that I see the difference with wide screen I will never go back to full. Thanks to the people on the board for the convincing.
Old 12-03-03, 04:03 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Libby
I used to like full screen better. But now that I see the difference with wide screen I will never go back to full. Thanks to the people on the board for the convincing.
welcome to the Light Side! seriously, its good to have another convert. you'll never go back to p&s.