Widescreen

Old 09-06-03, 01:48 PM

Widescreen

Just curious but why does everyone on this board love widescreen so much? Full screen seems to give a slightly bigger picture since the bottom and top are cut out of widescreen? Just curious.
Old 09-06-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, typically, the sides of the widescreen picture are cut off to create the illusion of a larger picture to create the full screen (so it looks bigger, but you're actually cutting off most of the picture to achieve that effect).
Old 09-06-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can see the difference here:

http://www.widescreen.org/examples.shtml
Old 09-06-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

See this link and scroll down to "Aspect Ratios, Widescreen, 16x9". Read away.
Old 09-06-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Its always puzzled me why people thought that these weird dvd people just started hacking off the tops and bottoms of the picture for no reason even before widescreen tvs. Was it like "AAAHHHH too much picture! Cut it down some. Ah........much better."
Old 09-06-03, 03:12 PM

I perfer widescreen myself the difference is you see more of the movie I saw the widescreen version of the movie How the West was won they had a scene where people were racing across the praire to claim some land and that scene was vast all those people in covered wagons and horses. Then they had the full screen version and it clearly showed that they cut out alot of the picture to fit it in that frame.
Old 09-06-03, 03:38 PM
Banned

On a normal tv 4:3 widescreen starts to suck under 28" tvs this is because it's showing you what a real movie looks like in the Movie theatre, you may have never noticed it before but that Movie screen is wide then your square TV set at home like most tv sets are and most Tv programming is. Newer tv sets are set at a widescreen image called 16:9 this is a wider more theatre like image. Most new TV sets are set in widescreen, so is HDTV.

when you watch a none widescreen movie it's panscan and is simply being stretched to fit the standard tv. this may seem like a great way to deal with an Widescreen image that would not fit a normal sized screen, but it isn't. the reason being is someone almost never the director is panning left to right or right to left to center the on going movement in the movie, some movies such as Lawerence of Arabia and blade runner are very wide movies and so if you pan it. your going to start to miss parts of the action that is going on in the part of the screen your not seeing. because of the limit in size of the screen.

HOw do you deal with this. asnwer widescreen, yep its hard to get use to seeing it at first on a normal tv set, because your tv set seems like it's only showing you 50% of the image. but it's not. it's showing you the full movie in a theare like image with black bars on the bottem and top.

this problem starts to go away when you buy a bigger tv or even better a HDTV, and a progressive dvd player. The black bars we all know and love disappear. the image is like filled in top to bottem. depending on how wide the image is. Goto any tv or department store and if they know what they are doing they should have a widescreen dvd playing on a HDTV setup with Progressive scan on and the image is breath taking.

I love my new widescreen tv and I could never go back to watching movies on my 28" monitor. but I did for years with laserdisc simply because widescreen is better then panscan. in some ways pan seems better because you can see more on your Older tv but what you are seeing is like watching a movie through binoculars everything is made bigger but your not seeing the fullscreen.
Old 09-06-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Strange.... the thread starter registered back in June.... so he's been lurking for a while. You'd think he would've seen enough threads w/answers to this question by now.

Or maybe his computer done blow'd up back then
Old 09-06-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's not about widescreen is better than fullscreen. It's about what the director of the film originally intended -- the original aspect ratio (OAR).

I second reading widescreen.org, or renting the Die Hard trilogy and seeing a featurette on Widescreen vs. Full Screen.

Old 09-06-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a pretty good example too. You can't post the pics from the site individually but click in the link and take a look......

Star Wars in Widescreen and Fullscreen

This is a pretty good example because everyone has seen Star Wars more on television and video than in the theater over the past 25 years or so.
Old 09-06-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jarryjayo
On a normal tv 4:3 widescreen starts to suck under 28" tvs
I watch DVDs in widescreen on a 27" 4:3 TV and a 20" 4:3 computer monitor. Until I get a widescreen set, this is fine for me. It doesn't suck, IMO.

Originally posted by jarryjayo I love my new widescreen tv and I could never go back to watching movies on my 28" monitor. but I did for years with laserdisc simply because widescreen is better then panscan. in some ways pan seems better because you can see more on your Older tv but what you are seeing is like watching a movie through binoculars everything is made bigger but your not seeing the fullscreen.
Once I grew a brain and realized the benefits of widescreen (probably ten years ago or so), I've hated pan 'n' scam. Pan 'n' scam hasn't seemed better because it fills up my screen. Pan 'n' scam sucks.

this problem starts to go away when you buy a bigger tv or even better a HDTV, and a progressive dvd player. The black bars we all know and love disappear. the image is like filled in top to bottem. depending on how wide the image is.
To clarify: if the image is 1.85:1, you'll have little black bars. If the image is 2.35:1, you'll still have black bars. Go here for an example:

http://www.widescreen.org/examples/l..._02_full.shtml

Last edited by DVDude!; 09-06-03 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-06-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I want to hear from nickmondo1 again after all these post to see what he thinks now.
Old 09-06-03, 07:50 PM
Banned

DVDude!, you miss understand what I was saying and quoted me out of context. YA PANSCAN SUCKS!!!

But that wasn't what I was even talking about. god
Old 09-06-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I want to hear from nickmondo1 again after all these post to see what he thinks now.
I think he posted just to get us all riled up.

Iíve never believed that people truly thought foolscreen was the TRUE picture, and that the widescreen was the modified version. Unless itís an older film with an AOR of 4:3.

Recently a friend of mine new to home movies on DVD bought LOTR: TTT in foolscreen because he has been telling himself (deep down inside he knew he was wrong, but just kept telling himself he was right to feel better) that itís not modified and has parts removed. Once he played it, he stopped it after 5 minutes and told me it looks different than what he saw (about 20 times) in the theaters. Then saw my widescreen version, and asked why my version looks like it did in the theater and his didnít.
Old 09-06-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDude!, you miss understand what I was saying and quoted me out of context. YA PANSCAN SUCKS!!!

But that wasn't what I was even talking about. god
Sorry. It seems as if you were saying that you sort of prefer pan 'n' scam on a smaller set. My mistake.
Old 09-06-03, 11:54 PM

Thank you all and you have finnaly convinced me. Before i just said widescreen was better to my friends because all you said it and you guys are all smart and cool(aka dvd geeks) And too that dude who said ive been registerd here since june, Ive acctuly been reading this board for a few years but was lazy to sign up. You all are smart and rep the hatchet for life.
Old 09-06-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmmm.....I thought nickmondo1 might just be a troll but you are all actually treating him as a person who knows nothing about DVDs of film for that matter. I'm impressed by the kindness and patience.
Old 09-07-03, 12:03 AM

ok ok so now your saying i know nothing about dvds? thats very dicklike since i just asked one question about widescreen since i failed math and all i dont know about ratios. I probly know more about dvds then you newb. See now you got me acting like a troll when i just asked 1 question you gotta be a dick about it. So sorry to everyone on here who loved this thread and put there heart into that a***** hole almost ruined it
Old 09-07-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

signed up in june, warned in september.

I don't think anyone was acting like you were stupid or anything. Just the typical concern that folks who bring up this subject are usually just bringing it up to create a sort of forum drama. No need to fight back or create more of an issue here.
Old 09-07-03, 02:14 AM

FINNALY A NICE MAN
Old 09-07-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wait, I am totally confused now.

nickmondo1, you may know more about DVDs than a lot of ppl, but you're lashing out at the wrong person. MasterofDVD wasn't saying you know nothing about DVDs. He was just saying that we were being informative and helpful as if you didn't know about the benefits of widescreen and not just ripping you a new one, a la "Idiot newbie" or whatnot.

Anyway, I likes my movies in full screen, butchered and nauseating. Did we really need a fourth Ghostbuster anyway?

K
Old 09-07-03, 02:57 AM
Banned

The only thing that throws a wrench into this is when you start talking about open matte.

A lot of movies are shown in full screen by simply removing the matte and showing more picture on the top and bottom, making the picture 1.33:1.

In this case, we are not losing any picture on the left and right, but we are seeing more image than we should on the top and bottom and it is NOT as the director intended. This can be a bad thing. For example, the fullscreen version of PeeWee's Big Adventure ruins a couple of sight gags by showing too much of the bottom image, and at the end of Dogma, the fullscreen (open matte) version shows 'dead people' moving out of the way of the camera operator.

A lot of people prefer the open matte versions to get more image, but I prefer the director's version.
Old 09-07-03, 03:38 PM
Cool New Member

go with widescreen. i think you'll be better off without that crappy
fullscreen.
Old 09-08-03, 01:09 AM
Banned

Tazwolff

that happens all the time in a Video stores, get a job in one for fun sometime and odds are you will be ask to refund someones money for selling them a vhs widescreen movie that is in widescreen. because that person doesn't understand that they are seeing the full movie but complain that there little tv isn't showing the full movie and that the tape isn't working properly. Ugg

A lot of people still don't get it and will never really understand it. reminds me of the other day when I was walking around a electronics store and a man and his wife, where looking at a widescreen HDTV and you could just tell he was trying to talk his wife into buying this set and she asked him. why is it so wide, you could see the look on his face as he tryed to start to fill her in on the subject, a losing war forsure. I mean some people just don't get it and never will.
Old 09-08-03, 01:13 AM
Banned

people still don't understand about Widescreen movies. it's nothing to get upset about. it happens. we should support those people and try to help our fellow man.

look at hdtv many people don't understand about that or even know what it means. yet in the states it's going to be standard in 2006. but because so many people don't yet understand or know what it even means to them and there basic cable, this dream of having a full HDTV network may not really happen tell 2010 according to industry experts. to sell a product or service, first you need a customer who understands it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.