Indiana Jones Trilogy: COMPLETE DETAILS

Community
Search

Indiana Jones Trilogy: COMPLETE DETAILS

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm not as spoiled as most people, and not being a huge fan of the series (since I've never seen all 3), I'm out of line by asking: What exactly more do you want? I mean, if deleted scenes exist, that's one thing that's obviously missing. But each movie has its own Making-of doc (ranging from 35-50 minutes each) and some other featurettes. Also most of the trailers available. You knew there weren't going to be commentaries, as these movies were directed by Spielberg and he has never done one for any of his previous DVDs and we all know why. Just cuz Schindler's List might get a commentary is no reason to expect him to do them for this one. Just cuz Lucas had commentaries on the two Star Wars movies out on DVD, doesn't mean this would get them too. Spielberg directed these movies, not Lucas. Personally, I think the set is pretty good and am going to pick it up with no complaints. I really don't get what's "not impressive" about it. They seriously could have released all of these movies on DVD, with absolutely no extras, and still have made a buttload of money, as evidenced by the "I'd still buy it if it were barebones" comments. I mean, if there isn't the material to make this set a 6-discer (2 per movie), there just isn't. No need to spread what material there is over other discs, thereby raising the price. I'm just glad the movies are coming to DVD. That's just what I think though. Feel free to flame away.

K
Old 08-31-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I mean, if deleted scenes exist, that's one thing that's obviously missing.
According to the press release, deleted scenes will be included in the documentaries.

I'm fine with the amount of extras the set has. Of course there could have been more. There always could be more, but three hours of documentaries are enough for me.
Old 08-31-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rizor
There always could be more...
Yeah, but that leads to things like "Soundtrack spots", which are always pointless to me.

K
Old 08-31-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Cornelius1047
...and not being a huge fan of the series (since I've never seen all 3)
I really wanted to read everything you wrote...but I just couldn't get past this...
Old 08-31-03, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
I mean, if there isn't the material to make this set a 6-discer (2 per movie), there just isn't. No need to spread what material there is over other discs, thereby raising the price. I'm just glad the movies are coming to DVD. That's just what I think though. Feel free to flame away.
I've posted this several times...but I'll cut and paste again:

Raiders: (both available on one vhs/laser)
A)The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark: 50 minutes
B)Stunts special (hosted by Harrison): 50 minutes

TOD: (only shown on PBS)
A) The Making of TOD: 50 minutes (NEVER available on any format)
B) A special effects show from PBS which combined looks at Jedi and TOD. I'm sorry to say I don't have a copy of this any more but I know it had a LOT of great footage of the bridge collapsing.

LC:
Great Adventurers and Their Quests: 50 min

Those are the "released" making of specials. I also have the EPK for Last Crusade and I'm sure that there have been releases of those for all 3 as there usually is.

Trailers:
Raiders: 1 that i know of
TOD: at least 2
LC: at least 2
Could show trailers from other countries (T2 anyone?) or tv spots as well.

Bloopers/Gag Reel
One exists from the 1983/1984 era and was shown at comic conventions at the time to promote TOD but contained bloopers from both Indy movies

Interviews from recent re-releases
I can't really speak about these because I wasn't dumb enough to buy the VHS but there were apparently some new interviews on the re-release tapes for each movie.

Deleted Scenes
Check out the raider.net for a comprehensive list of each movies deleted scenes.

Harrison Ford Practical Joke
Now infamous...here's the description from IMDB. It's a true story confirmed by all involved. ""While filming the whipping scene, the crew played a practical joke on Harrison Ford. Chained to a large stone, Barbra Streisand appeared, dressed in a leather dominatrix outfit. She proceeded to whip him, saying "That's for Hanover Street (1979), the worst movie I ever saw." She continued whipping him for Star Wars (1977), and making all of that money. Carrie Fisher then threw herself in front of Ford to protect him, and Irvin Kershner chided director Steven Spielberg. "Is this how you run your movies?" This entire sequence was filmed."

Entertainment Tonight 1hr special
Fantastic special that aired in the last couple of years. Went through each movie and showed behind the scenes footage and interviews conducted then and now. Good to know Short Round is still working.

Premiere Magazine: making the tank sequence
Special from 89 which went through all the hits that summer and the Indy segment was on the tank sequence. Hosted by Mark Harmon.

At The Movies TV Special
From 89; Goes through the making of all 3 films. If nothing else, it proves there's a lot more behind the scenes footage than what was shown in the "making of" specials.

Harrison Ford: The Last Crusader
OK i'm reaching with this one but it's an MTV special with Harrison around the time the film came out that's a LOT of fun and mostly about Indy.

That's all I can think of at the moment...I'll post more if i think of it.

Any more questions?
Old 08-31-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reading that list makes me feel even worse about the extras.
Old 08-31-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, really. I mean, I just want the films, but really, I spend a whole day going over the Star Wars discs when they come out, it would have been nice to do that for this too.

Makes me glad Lucas wants to wait to do the original Star Wars trilogy DVDs right.
Old 08-31-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Paramount sucks. No DTS. boo.
Old 08-31-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

back when raiders was made, I dont think the future of dvd extras was even considered a possibility. Its easy for us to get spoiled by a film like the LotR: Fotr... that film was intended from the begining to have a TON of "making of" type material, extended additions, and all that jazz. I doubt to much "making of" material exists for the 1st movie (especially) and "making some up" now just seems to contrived for my liking. I look at new interviews or new commentary tracks in basically the same way... contrived and/or tainted by the years between when the film was made and when the new commentary was recorded. All the relevant cast interview footage from back when the films was made is prolly in the extras noted above... which seem entirely sufficient to me.

I think the only real question with this set is how good of a job ILM has done with cleaning up boo-boos from the original films. It would be nice if some of the special effects shots (snake+glass, guys falling to crocs, and nazi plane flying in tunnel all come to mind) were updated... but thats just my opinion.

j
Old 09-01-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bitch, bitch, bitch. All three movies in anamorphic widescreen and more than three hours of extras for less than $50 street price.

If I were Lucas I'd delay the release for a year just to teach everybody a lesson.
Old 09-01-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
As usual Paramount has a chance to hit a walk off homerun in game 7 of the World Series but instead they only hit a ground rule double. But still there's no way I'm not buying this, as long as the a/v is PERFECT I'll be happy but I can't help but feal like Paramount being lazy again.
I know, tell me about it. Just look at Braveheart. yuck...
Old 09-01-03, 01:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jekbrown
back when raiders was made, I dont think the future of dvd extras was even considered a possibility. Its easy for us to get spoiled by a film like the LotR: Fotr... that film was intended from the begining to have a TON of "making of" type material, extended additions, and all that jazz. I doubt to much "making of" material exists for the 1st movie (especially)

Umm....didja look above?? There's at least another hour and a half of material that's not on the disc...JUST from Raiders alone.

And what about storyboards and photos and whatknot?

Again...yeah i am complaining. I have been complaining since the extras were (not) announced. This set is going to suck extra-wise.

The most anticipated DVD's to date deserve a helluva lot better than this.

But I'll still be there a couple of weeks before street date to pick my set up.

In fact, I'd have PREFERRED them to be barebones. At least then it wouldn't have been a tease.
Old 09-01-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regarding digitalfreaknyc's long-ass post.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 09-01-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Bitch, bitch, bitch. All three movies in anamorphic widescreen and more than three hours of extras for less than $50 street price.

If I were Lucas I'd delay the release for a year just to teach everybody a lesson.
Old 09-01-03, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Umm....didja look above?? There's at least another hour and a half of material that's not on the disc...JUST from Raiders alone.
maybe its an hour of crap that doesnt deserve to be in the same box set as these films?

at any rate, the final word is that any of you yahoos who dont like the set for any reason... dont but it. Watch it on LD or on an old vhs tape u recorded off TV... no skin off my heiny. The free market dictates that you vote with your wallet. If you dont like the set, dont buy it. Simply as that.

as for myself, I'll be enjoying Raiders of the Lost Ark on the ol' home theater the 1st night after I get the set from Amazon... and I plan on enjoying it thoroughly.

j
Old 09-01-03, 03:37 AM

I'll be enjoying Raiders of the Lost Ark on the ol' home theater the 1st night after I get the set from Amazon... and I plan on enjoying it thoroughly.

j
You took the words right out of my mouth!!!
Old 09-01-03, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm satisfied with the extras. I'll just be glad to finally have the trilogy on quality dvds.
Old 09-01-03, 04:01 AM

Reaction to list posted by digitalfreaknyc:

Drool, drool, drool.
Old 09-01-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

not great, but it's really just the movies i care about. i'll still be getting it.

btw, i'm kinda glad there aren't any commentaries, it's way too painful to sit thru anything g.lucas talks about!
Old 09-01-03, 10:05 AM
Banned

maybe its an hour of crap that doesnt deserve to be in the same box set as these films?

at any rate, the final word is that any of you yahoos who dont like the set for any reason... dont but it. Watch it on LD or on an old vhs tape u recorded off TV... no skin off my heiny. The free market dictates that you vote with your wallet. If you dont like the set, dont buy it. Simply as that.

OK as someone who has never even SEEN all 3 Indy movies, i'm really perplexed as to why you're stating your opinion in the first place and would regard your responses as borderline threadcrapping.

An hour of crap? Why don't you FIRST rent the movies you've never seen and then watch the making of documentaries that you'd probably be able to rent at your local video store afterwards. THEN come and post in this thread.

The people that are bitching (myself included) are doing so because it has taken a long time for this trilogy to be released and we all know what COULD be done with this set. Hell, i thought it would be a guarantee that these specials would be included since they were available on the other formats and were so well-known to anyone who is an Indy fan.

Paramount just dropped the ball on this one. Plain and simple.

AGAIN, DOESN'T MEAN I'M NOT BUYING THEM. THEY COULD BE BAREBONES AND I'D BUY THEM. It's just really disappointing when you think about how well this set COULD HAVE been done. And it's also upsetting to think that Paramount rarely double-dips and if they do, it takes years between discs. Just disappointing, that's all. Can't ya see that?
Old 09-01-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This set is going to suck extra-wise.
I'm sure the extras will be good, quality material. What will suck is knowing there's a good number of documentaries they didn't include.

Just a thought, but with the new documentaries on there, there's bound to be some material overlapping had they included the original documentaries, so if they were to, it may have been a good idea to cut them down. I think one of the reasons why they aren't being included them is because studios or producers feel it's special to produce all new documentaries instead of including older ones. Maybe just so they could print "All new feature-length documentary with....." on the back of the set.
Old 09-01-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
OK as someone who has never even SEEN all 3 Indy movies, i'm really perplexed as to why you're stating your opinion in the first place

umm... i saw all 3 indy movies in the theater... on vhs... and on lbx LD as well. Not sure where this "have never even seen" stuff is coming from....I doubt many here have seen the films much more than I have.

An hour of crap? Why don't you FIRST rent the movies you've never seen and then watch the making of documentaries that you'd probably be able to rent at your local video store afterwards. THEN come and post in this thread.
we are all theorizing here... not one of us has the set in-hand. Why can everyone else talk about what the quality of the extras might be, but I can't? Hello Captain Doublestandard.

Paramount just dropped the ball on this one. Plain and simple.
as someone that has been wait a long time for a really good release of these movies, I find it hard to worry about extras tooooo much. Everyone has their own interests when it comes to dvds. For me its about 99% the film, and 1% for the extras. No amount or quality of extras would make up for a crap transfer of a film, for instance. Wouldnt matter if it was 100 hours of high quality extras... the quality of the film overall still trumps it. This is, of course, just my opinion.

Just disappointing, that's all. Can't ya see that?
I can see that... I can even see why... some people just love extras. I was just stating my perspective on the release, just as you were stating yours. Assuming the transfer is super-nice.. this is the dvd set of the year for me. If everyone else thinks it sucks... well...thats fine.

j
Old 09-01-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
umm... i saw all 3 indy movies in the theater... on vhs... and on lbx LD as well. Not sure where this "have never even seen" stuff is coming from....I doubt many here have seen the films much more than I have.
I think he confused you with Cornelius1047.
Old 09-01-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well why put all the extras they can on this release when, in a few years they can put out individual disks of the movies with the other extras in that release? This way, they get all of you to buy the movies again.
Old 09-01-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not thrilled that there's not a lot of extras but half of the time I don't watch the extras anyways, so I will go by my "required" checklist.

[x] Complete/unedited
[x] OAR/Anamorphic Widescreen if applicable
[?] Original soundtrack (unsure, don't think movis were in 5.1 originally)
[x] 5.1 remix if it exists

Alright, it's sold -- I do like it when movies have 2.0 because 5.1 mixes sound weird if you don't have a 5.1 TV.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.