Community
Search

Traffic CC - OOP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Traffic CC - OOP?

I checked the Criterion website and there's nothing...

however...

check this out on the Guzzlefish listing...

It says that the Criterion is OOP.

Jeez.
Old 08-18-03, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And we all know Guzzlefish is always right.
Old 08-18-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=281395

K
Old 08-18-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Just got mine from North American DVD.
Old 08-18-03, 08:50 PM
Banned

You can still find Traffic at your local Best Buy. But some US based e-tailer seems to have it out of stock.

DDD= No Listing
Overstock= No Listing
DVD Empire= Currently Unavailable

Still available at Amazon, DigitalEyes, and DVD Planet.
Old 08-18-03, 09:30 PM

Always check Criterion's website. If any of their stuff does go out of print, I imagine they'd be the first to know.
Old 08-19-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Criterion disc was released around the same time that Universal acquired USA Films. So this may have something to do with it.
Old 08-19-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon has it listed twice. The most obvious one is not in stock, the other is in stock. It looks like maybe there is a new version with a different security device and UPC. Possibly same DVD, different barcode.

Here are the two versions at amazon.

Obvious one - Out of stock
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000063TNH/

Other one - In Stock
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007ELF2/
Old 08-19-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember there being a thread about Night of the Living Dead ME (Elite) going out of print several months ago, which seemed to spark a few people rushing out to get it. I'm guessing these kinds of rumors sometimes pan out, but often don't.

Either way, now is as good a time as any to get Traffic if it's a DVD you've been considering...
Old 08-19-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just happened to find a used copy over the weekend, so I picked it up for half the price of new. Sorry, had to brag.

I did see a couple of new copies recently. One at Borders, and one at a local retailer. They're around if you just look for them. I've also noticed the recent lack of these online.
Old 08-19-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wish I could have gotten it half price, but just found a copy used for just less than $30 after tax. Im okay with that.
Old 08-19-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I work at Best Buy, so I broke down and bought our last one. I checked our warehouse and we don't have any on order and our warehouse has none...
Old 08-19-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm...the rumor mill keeps turning (as I run out to snag my copy).
Old 08-19-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,072 Posts
You know it's threads like this that make me wonder if the studios have people planting rumors like this to boost sales or clear out old stock.
Old 08-20-03, 09:50 AM

[sarcasm on]

Ok, thanks a lot guys..

[sarcasm off]

This thread just forced me to spend the most I ever did on one DVD $39.99! I went to 5 different stores before I found one..

--mike
Old 08-20-03, 09:59 AM

I have the original release of Traffic, is the Criterion release really worth the effort of running to different stores to try to get it before it is completely gone?
Old 08-20-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DeeKay
I have the original release of Traffic, is the Criterion release really worth the effort of running to different stores to try to get it before it is completely gone?
Not to me, although many others will disagree.

After seeing the original British miniseries "Traffik", upon which the movie was based, the U.S. version really disappointed me. The video quality of the British series isn't very good, and it's formatted 4x3 for TV (OAR), but the content was far superior, in my opinion.
I own about 120 other Criterion discs, but Traffic isn't one of them. I have the regular release from a CH membership, and that's good enough for me in case I ever want to see that version again.
Old 08-20-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was lucky enough to get this for father's day last year from my little girl. She actually picked it out herself because she saw the criterion sig on the disc(she told me she noticed them on a lot of my other discs). I had actually never saw it but i enjoyed quite bit and the extras are excellent on it.
But i haven't seen it at any of the stores near me now that someone brought this up.
Old 08-20-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by dvd2001
Not to me, although many others will disagree.

After seeing the original British miniseries "Traffik", upon which the movie was based, the U.S. version really disappointed me. The video quality of the British series isn't very good, and it's formatted 4x3 for TV (OAR), but the content was far superior, in my opinion.
I own about 120 other Criterion discs, but Traffic isn't one of them. I have the regular release from a CH membership, and that's good enough for me in case I ever want to see that version again.
I'm not sure why you would expect the film version to be the same content as the miniseries. I think the mini was 8 parts, and dealt a lot with the farmers in Afghanistan. The daughters story was different too. The wife had a greater story in the mini too. And her husband played a different role. I agree the miniseries was better, a lot better, but that doesn't diminish my enjoyment of Traffic.
Soderbergh did an incredible job with the material, as well as the visual look. He condensed a large amount of information into a fully rounded, compact film. The acting was great on everybody's part too.
I know people will say "well, that's your opinion", and it is, but to compare the two just isn't fair.
Old 08-20-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neitzl,
We don't really disagree. I didn't expect the film version to be the same as the miniseries (it was 6 parts). It was just that after seeing "Traffik", and then "Traffic", I realized that the British series was simply much more involving, interesting, and realistic.
I did also enjoy the Soderbergh version as a movie, and admire his directorial efforts in general.
In my comment, I was really just trying to say that for me, the regular version of Traffic would suffice, and I didn't need the Criterion.
Old 08-20-03, 01:19 PM
Banned

Well it seems a little odd that this would be going out of print without anyone knowing anything. Although I did notice a film was out of print that wasn't immediately listed on Criterion's website think it might of been Dead Ringers? Usually the OOP Criterions don't fade away like Traffic seems to be this is just kinda odd.
Old 08-20-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It contains the original subtitles (not player generated ones) and the transfer is, overall, slightly better from what I have heard from a very reliable source and true videophile.
Old 08-20-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It also fleshes out many characters (namely Zeta-Jones) - it has over 25 deleted scenes among other things. A must for fans of the movie.
Old 08-20-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Best Buy I work at has 2 copies, but even when my discount goes into effect (assuming they still have both), it'll cost me $27. I saw a used copy at an FYE near my house for $20 and I have about $40 in credit there, but I'm not sure if I'll go that route. Was kinda hoping to pick a box set up. We shall see, I guess. I do want this though.

K
Old 08-20-03, 05:51 PM

Did anyone ask Jim Mulvaney?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.