Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Ready or Not" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-23, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Ready or Not (2019)

Selected by Group Vote

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

FUBO TV

DIRECTV

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2023 DISCUSSION | 2023 LISTS
Old 10-01-23, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: "Ready or Not" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

I had a couple of friends over last night, and they ended up picking this one. It wasn't my first time watching it, but it held up really well for me. I think it straddles the comedy and horror line pretty well. I really like the ending. It gives you that very real moment where you realize that the curse isn't real, only to have it be upended when they all start to explode one by one. It's a fun time.
Old 10-13-23, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

At first I didnt like Ready or Not; it seems weird but not quite outlandish enough and the tone is strange - but it's gutsy conclusion excuses some of the setup. We really really need more films where people explode.
This is definitely a film you could fast forward through. The Most Dangerous Game is an excellent film/premise but it's been done better before and here the premise is so forced with humor more annoying than funny. Samara Weaving though has a great presence with a brilliant mix of bewildered victim but never too helpless. The glorious exploding people aside one of the best parts of RoN is the contrast of murder gore and sorrowful hesitance (when is comes down to it few are gleeful) which is surprisingly unique for the genre.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-13-23 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-27-23, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

I won't just sit here and bash it for every reason, but I fucking hated this movie. I did go in with high expectations due to the rave reviews I was seeing for it and its rather high overall IMDB score. I wasn't a fan of the trailer, and I should have known better that this would not be my kind of movie.

For one, I didn't buy into the premise at all. For two, the movie is played like a farce, and I completely despise farcical movies. Never have liked them and this one was no different. This movie was definitely the biggest disappointment of the entire challenge for me. I would rather watch Linnea Quigley's Horror Workout and Terror At Tenkiller back-to-back for all eternity than have to watch this movie again. Fucking ugh. Yes, I hated this movie that much.

My rating: 1/2 a star out of *****
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (10-27-23)
Old 10-31-23, 01:44 AM

Everyone should see Ready or Not (at least it's conclusion) once; but having seen it once already I got the subset out of the way earlier so I wouldnt have to end the challenge with one so lukewarm.
Old 10-31-23, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I seem to be in the minority because I think this movie is a hoot! It balances the horror and comedy elements, and the ending is hilariously gross, with one of the best movie closing lines, "In-laws." Although it's obvious Mr. LeBail is the Devil it's never spelled out that his name is an anagram for Belial.

Also, if you think about it, the bride had a narrow escape--what if her assigned game was Parcheesi or Go Fish? She would have had an uneventful wedding night, become enslaved by Satan, and eventually get popped like a blood bubble.
Undeadcow (10-31-23)
Old 11-01-23, 10:58 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I love this movie so much! I'm surprised some of ya'll hated it. I guess the humor is right up my alley. Samara Weaving is always magnetic on screen, and she's such a hoot here when she gets her badass on. Plus, seeing a bunch of rich white people explode is simply a good time. I saw this when it first came out and loved it - gave it a 9/10. It held up really well for me.
Gobear (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I was confused the first time I watched this. Was Hide and Seek the only deadly game?

I really love this movie, and my wife was very excited to hear it was the November 1 pick. Grace is a real badass and for me, this movie was a delight and just flew by.
Old 11-01-23, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 189 Posts

I always assumed that hide and seek was the only dangerous game but don’t know if that is ever specifically said,

Im also surprised by some of the hate for this one. It’s not my favorite horror movie from the last 10 years (probably Babadook) but is my most rewatched.
WillieMLF (11-02-23)
Old 11-01-23, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I was confused the first time I watched this. Was Hide and Seek the only deadly game?

I really love this movie, and my wife was very excited to hear it was the November 1 pick. Grace is a real badass and for me, this movie was a delight and just flew by.
I think they at least imply that Hide and Seek was the only deadly game. There is a segment just before the game is picked that seems to suggest this - I think the brothers are talking and one reassures the groom chances of deadly stuff is slim.
I'll admit sometimes when a movie confuses me or I want to check a plot point I find that Wikipedia often has pretty specific details synopsis and Wikipedia also states:
"Alex reveals that his family is cursed: if the new member draws the Hide-and-Seek card, the rest of the family has to find and ritually sacrifice them before dawn or they die instead. The deadly game was last played by Helene's husband, Charles."
WillieMLF (11-02-23)