Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Strangler vs Strangler" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-23, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Strangler vs Strangler (1984)

Selected by Chad

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2023 DISCUSSION | 2023 LISTS
Old 10-09-23, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: "Strangler vs Strangler" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Well, this was a funny little movie. It wasn't really what I expected. From the title, I was expecting more of a serial killer battle in the vein of the old Spy vs. Spy cartoons. What we got was a lot odder than that. I liked the satirical tone, but I think the second strangler pushed things a little too goofy, and then things went increasingly absurd at the end. In a genre that can sometimes get a lot of clones, this movie was at least different and stood out.
Old 10-17-23, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The sly comedy of one killer trying to avoid detection, a singer publicly reveling in the killing, and a police inspector oblivious to it all. "In this city hundreds of women are wearing pants... who will be the next victim?" I also enjoyed the goofy weird tone of Strangler Vs Strangler. It handled a dark plot with much lightheartedness even in the grimmer moments, the inept police officer was an amusing comedic relief and so far it's the only film I've seen this month with a carnation subplot. The silly premise of a metropolis as needing a criminal element such as an epic killer seemed to pulse through the film like with the celebrity rock start glorifying the strangler status - in some ways this film almost seemed like it was more about a culture, context, or city than one person; a relic of the 80s. "If we catch that criminal we can get into the history of the world..." One killer looked distractingly like a dimestore Peter Lorre but nicely unassuming. Hold on to your ears. Better than Freddy Vs Jason.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-17-23 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-23-23, 11:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't find anywhere to watch this in Canada or download
Old 10-24-23, 12:06 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Oddity from Eastern Europe about competing stranglers in Belgrade. Dark humor mixed with character study of an unhinged killer who has mommy issues.

I had trouble getting into this film. Maybe Im just getting burn out since I am now at 93 watches for the month with this film. I think it was an okay watch. I need to give it a rewatch sometime.
6/10
Old 10-24-23, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I find Mel Brooks and his form of parody drastically unfunny, and this is what I imagine it would be like if he ever made a horror movie. Sorry Young Frankenstein does not count as a horror movie. And also, YF is not funny. It is childish humor which was great for me when I was 7 years old but as a 50-year-old, I find his work intolerable now.

This movie was slightly comical at first but became more and more tedious as the viewing went on. There were a few funny lines by the narrator, but this movie did not tickle my fancy for either comedy or horror. I had to wake myself up several times.

Thank you alyxstar for the link!

My rating: *1/2 out of *****
Old 10-24-23, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Poor carnations. This dude is channeling Joy Division
Old 10-25-23, 10:56 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

This was an unusual pick so cudos to Chad for expanding our horizons, as usual!

It was an enjoyable watch. I like the sense of humor. It reminded me of Little Shop of Horrors a bit. Both stranglers were sympathetic characters and the narration added a lot. 3/5 stars for me.
Old 10-25-23, 10:59 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Voorheeshulk
I can't find anywhere to watch this in Canada or download
We've got a video shop here in Seattle, Scarecrow Video, and they have every oddity you can image. When I can't find something, I rent from them. I was able to several of the subset films that were hard to find. They rent by mail, so they probably will mail anywhere.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (10-25-23)