Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Torso" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Torso (1973)

Selected by jholmes

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

TUBI

SCREAMBOX

NIGHT FLIGHT

DARK MATTER TV

ARROW PLAYER

SHUDDER/AMC+/FANDOR/SCREAMBOX VIA PRIME

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2023 DISCUSSION | 2023 LISTS
Old 10-09-23, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Torso" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

More lurid and sleazy than other films I’ve watched this challenge so far. I like the initial parallels to art which gives a sense of grander themes beyond this film building on classic works of art to tell a more base tale. The parade of red herrings here is more obvious than in most films sometimes feeling cheap or distracting. The doll imagery is a clever one the ties into the talk about art representing spirit earlier in the film and feel more universal, even a tad social commentary.

The girl trapped in the room by the killer is a nice twist and ratchets up the tension - I'm surprised more films don't savor the aura surrounding a kill like this.

The killer is a ranting man baby with a strange anger towards dolls; lamest twist ever (but maybe a necessary one given the sexual hangups of the content) but overall a great film.
The following users liked this post:
jholmes (10-17-23)
Old 10-09-23, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Been a while since I've watched this, but I was happy to revisit it. The climax with the woman stuck in the house while the killer was disposing of bodies was very effective. It was definitely the most suspenseful part of the film.
jholmes (10-17-23)
Old 10-10-23, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Been a while since I've watched this, but I was happy to revisit it. The climax with the woman stuck in the house while the killer was disposing of bodies was very effective. It was definitely the most suspenseful part of the film.
I actually got a little bored during that part. Only part that really crawled for me.

That being said, I did enjoy the film. Wasn't the greatest but it held my interest. I mean how could it not when it has to be one of the horniest horror films ever made. I wanted to check the credits to make sure I didn't stumble into a horror film made by Tinto Brass that I hadn't heard of.

I know I had seen mention of this movie, but I don't think I had ever seen it before. Not being a big Giallo fan, most of the ones I have seen all run together for me. And I am assuming this is consider Giallo since it seemed to have most of the tropes.

My rating: *** out of *****

I can imagine the rental VHS tape of this film in my local 80's rental shop was worn out in many places!
jholmes (10-17-23)
Old 10-16-23, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

That’s the second terrible bird voiceover of the night. The first one being The Amazing Mr. X. Stephannoooo! Braach! Squawkkk!
Spiderbite (10-16-23)
Old 10-17-23, 12:26 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I watched this a few years ago but enjoyed the rewatch tonight. The Italian settings are wonderful. I always enjoy a good whodunnit slasher, and the better giallos (like this one) do such a good job of setting up red herrings. Was it the Uncle? The stalker guy? The doctor? One choice I find odd is that the 3 main women are killed off camera. The protagonist the story has been following up til now, Heidi?, is killed off camera and then suddenly the final girl you follow is Jane. It's kind of like skipping the main course to not see the main character's death. But I liked the whole "the killer didn't now another girl was there" angle.
Old 10-23-23, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

I watched this last night. Not sure why the English title is "Torso" though, when the Italian title actually translates to "The Bodies Bear Traces of Carnal Violence". I mean I get that that title probably wouldn't have flown, but I really don't know where the English title came from. I didn't notice and abundance of torsos in the film, lol.

Anyway, fun little flick, beautiful setting, and very beautiful women. I was surprised that we actually got a lesbian scene. I agree that it was very weird that the 3 main girls were killed off camera. Like, WTF? lol.