Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Alone in the Dark" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Alone in the Dark (1982)

Selected by WillieMLF

Additional Posters:

IMDB ENTRY

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2023 DISCUSSION | 2023 LISTS
Old 10-10-23, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: "Alone in the Dark" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Oh man, unfortunately I was thinking about the 2005 Uwe Boll movie of the same name for the Frightfest theme. Sadly, the 1982 one is a much better movie.
Old 10-13-23, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

I didn't care for this and thought it was a pretty dull affair despite all the recognizable faces and names. There are really only a couple of interesting scenes, and the plot never held my interest.

The home invasion stuff at the end seems realistic on how normal people would deal with the situation but by that time, I just didn't care and wanted the move to end.

This is NOT a movie so bad it is good. It is just bland.

My rating: *1/2 out of *****
Old 10-14-23, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

It took me a while to realize how tongue in cheek they were being, but the amusingly random introdiction should have been a giveaway (if the laughing brutal end wasnt). It feels like a sly straight on lampoon of horror that is not good but also not bad even though it is perhaps trying to be bad. The 'escaped mental patients' premise is irksome (lazy explaination that ultimately makes no sense, stigmatized illness) and about as vanilla as it gets but maybe intentionally so and the nuclear power subplot feels dated. Vanilla is a good description for the film in general. Its surprising how little screen time some of the big names get (which is maybe part of the sly comedy - that the killer gets top billing and least screen time). Having more than one 'slasher' was a good idea, under utilized here but since to better effect in more popular films, and the home invasion segment was good. The ending was brilliant where he just sort of gives up or not.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-14-23 at 02:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 04:18 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Really beginning to think Donald Pleasence isn't a very good psychiatrist.
The following 6 users liked this post by mallratcal:
Gobear (10-21-23), Kurt D (10-14-23), Obi-Wanma (10-20-23), Spiderbite (10-14-23), Undeadcow (10-14-23), WillieMLF (10-14-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-14-23, 09:08 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Martin Landau and Jack Palance are excellent as patients in a Psych hospital that break out and reek havoc. Donald Pleaseance as the doctor didnt have enough to do in my opinion.
7/10
Old 10-14-23, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Oh man, unfortunately I was thinking about the 2005 Uwe Boll movie of the same name for the Frightfest theme. Sadly, the 1982 one is a much better movie.
You know, I saw you post somewhere else that you had selected the Uwe Boll film, so I actually started it for 10 minutes before checking back and realizing the 1982 one was the film actually slotted. I promptly turned it off.

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Martin Landau and Jack Palance are excellent as patients in a Psych hospital that break out and reek havoc. Donald Pleaseance as the doctor didnt have enough to do in my opinion.
7/10
I'm more of this opinion. I liked this one. It was fun to see Palance and Landau chewing up the scenery.
Old 10-15-23, 12:24 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I liked the insane asylum setting and the ideas. Pleasance is solid as the doctor who believes all his inmates are good at heart and simply misunderstood. Of course, he is SO wrong. Great character actors with Landau and Palance. However, the whole last part devolves into a jump scare slasher, which I didn't love. 2/5 stars for me.
Old 10-15-23, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
I liked the insane asylum setting and the ideas. Pleasance is solid as the doctor who believes all his inmates are good at heart and simply misunderstood. Of course, he is SO wrong. Great character actors with Landau and Palance. However, the whole last part devolves into a jump scare slasher, which I didn't love. 2/5 stars for me.
Pleasance is like Christopher Lee. He immediately elevates even the shittiest of films.
The following users liked this post:
jholmes (10-15-23)
Old 10-20-23, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

I watched this last night with my daughter. I thought the opening was interesting and even funny, but when it devolved into a generic slasher, I kind of lost interest.