Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Street Trash" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-29-20, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Street Trash (1987)

Selected by Trevor

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

SHUDDER

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - Hosted by Joe Bob Briggs on The Last Drive-In

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2020 DISCUSSION | 2020 LISTS

Old 09-30-20, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: "Street Trash" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

I feel a bit pained that this movie was selected and I am not sponsoring it. Also I have always loved this mondo print for this title:

It came out back when you had a few months to decide if you wanted a mondo print, still waited too long.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (10-03-20)
Old 10-02-20, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The Synapse blu-ray looks really nice. Strange mix of hobo 'slice of life' comedy and epic special effects. It makes one wonder why more movies don't go for the gusto and have fun with random body melting or other over the top neon gore... or even why Street Trash itself didn't offer more of the goods because it really stalls so much in the middle and the odd humor only takes it so far. Trim 30 minutes, melt more bodies, or go home. The junkyard hobo community is a cool slum underdog theme but it feels like it 'stopped at 68 and owes us one' rather than going all the way with the Viper gore we came for. Aimless to a fault but with some of the coolest effects ever.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-02-20 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-15-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I listened to the Writer Producer Track on this one and here is my review from the list thread:

53.) Commentary For Street Trash (1987) (Blu-Ray)*

My Thoughts: Finally upgrading my old sci-fi convention bootleg of this title (purchased before it was available on disc) and wow does it look amazing. Dare I say even beautiful, I have never seen the colors look like this before. Having seen the movie quite a few times I opted for the Writer/Producer commentary and it turned out to be a very good track. It's weird to hear someone talk so seriously about Street Trash as it has been a topic of conversation for me for years across multiple friend groups. The writer/producer in question is the same guy that did Documentary of the Dead, thankfully his pacing is greatly improved but also he has a wealth of knowledge he brings to this audio commentary, every thing from those fun behind the scenes stores to alternate casts, planned sequels, foreign releases of the film, the guy is a Street Trash Encyclopedia. Great track and excuse for watching this film again. Also thank you to Trevor for picking this for today's subset and giving me that kick to finally go legit with this title.

(4 out of 5)
Think I might just listen to the other commentary next.
Old 10-15-20, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Think I might just listen to the other commentary next.
Recommend others skip, it's just the director telegraphing what is happening on screen. Check out the bit after the closing title though.

Edit: And I just realized that today isn't Street Trash day, it's Spookies day. Guess I'll watch the Retrospective here in a few days.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-16-20 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-17-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

I love this fucking movie. I will agree it drags a bit in the middle, but the ridiculousness of it makes it worthwhile. I will say I hate the schmuck who plays the valet at the restaurant. I had to endure him twice today when I also watched Frankenhooker.
The acting is pretty horrible, but considering most of the cast haven’t done much else, it’s better than it should be.
Old 10-17-20, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I had only seen this movie once before years ago, so this was a great revisit. I had forgotten some of the little moments and was surprised I forgot all about that game of keep away. Maybe I suppressed that part. Street Trash is definitely a scuzzy movie, but it has some decent humor and very memorable effects.

The movie gets your attention right out of the gate, but like others said, it drags in the middle..And then once it gets going again, it just ends. I know some people who really hate this movie, but I like it. I was going to watch the feature-length documentary about the movie but then realized it's over 2 hours. I think I'll watch it next month.
Old 10-17-20, 07:13 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

The body melt effects in this were way cool, and I did like the ending. But the misogyny stuff and rape scenes made me want to turn it off midway through. The characters are all so unlikeable (and filthy). Not my brand of humor, I guess. I liked the lady at the dump and the smarminess of the bellhop guy.
Old 10-17-20, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

3 minutes in:

Old 10-17-20, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jholmes
The body melt effects in this were way cool, and I did like the ending. But the misogyny stuff and rape scenes made me want to turn it off midway through. The characters are all so unlikeable (and filthy). Not my brand of humor, I guess. I liked the lady at the dump and the smarminess of the bellhop guy.
It's a movie, it's trying to make you feel things. You might check to the retrospective on the disc, very high participation rate by the female cast and crew of the film.

Speaking of which, bummed they couldn't find the actress who played Wendy from the movie for the 2006 doc but I see that she later was in a 2019 retrospective called 30 Years And Still Melting. Does anyone know where you can stream/buy this?
Old 10-18-20, 04:46 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

my fourth watch. I like the interplay between the mafioso wannabe and the bellhop. The final head explosion is classic.7/10
Old 10-19-20, 07:33 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I like to think the protagonist is Torgo from Manos: The Hands of Fate.
Old 10-20-20, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by mallratcal
I like to think the protagonist is Torgo from Manos: The Hands of Fate.
I thought that too! Also PTSD Zach Galifianakis.
Old 10-20-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Man, I love Street Trash. This movie just meanders from the junkyard to the liquor store and, back to the junkyard, etc. After watching this I really felt the need to take a bath! Everyone was filthy, and I just wanted to break out a washcloth and clean the smudges on all those faces. I'm always impressed by the completely awesome melting effects, but the story is just utter nonsense. The liquor store owner just finds this box of Viper in the crawlspace and puts the bottles out for sale. My kind of guy!

We watched Frankenhooker a few days ago, so it was good to see the bellhop again, but he sure was annoying at his job.
Old 10-20-20, 09:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

0/10, would not recommend.