Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Dagon" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-29-20, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Dagon (2001)

Selected by mallratcal

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

TUBI

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - Commentary by director Stuart Gordon & writer Dennis Paoli

ALYXSTARR LINK - Commentary by director Stuart Gordon & actor Ezra Godden

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2020 DISCUSSION | 2020 LISTS

Old 10-18-20, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Dagon" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

Dagon is awesome and hits a lot of the right notes for me. I love the unusual fish god ploy of Dagon, and while it's not subtle the atmosphere and moodiness reigns supreme countering some of the more cartoonish elements. It's sly how the film opens and ends with the same scene; moving from dream to reality beyond reality as the hero becomes who he always was (it's the jorney not the destination). My favorite part is the Dagon pit where he rescues the girlfriend only for her to be horribly maimed as she is pulled back under.

The 'good natured' Xenophobia of not being sure what's naturally foreign or what's unusual because of fish-god evil works well. I understand it was a Spanish co-production so I'm not sure what is intentional or not (if it was set in modern day Maine I don't think it would have been as effective). The outcast Ezequiel character perfectly straddles the good natured and the strange in a human sympathetic way while still seeming a bit sinister. The strange existential crisis of Dagon is a rich theme that I'm still not sure what to make of.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-18-20 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-18-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I'm not sure where I saw or read something that always kept me away from this movie, but I liked it. The mood was great throughout. The one moment where I felt the budget sort of betrayed it was the brief reveal of Dagon himself, but it was still a good moment.

One of my criticisms is a minor nitpick, but I had a hard time understanding some of the speakers, especially Ezequiel. While the ending was a good full circle moment, it also struck me that he got over the deaths of his girlfriend and friends, learning he was a child of Dagon, and his massive self-inflicted burns rather quickly.

I actually noticed those marks on his torso at the beginning of the movie. I remember thinking it was a bit odd but didn't think much of it. I didn't think it was a big plot point!
Old 10-18-20, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
...struck me that he got over the deaths of his girlfriend and friends, learning he was a child of Dagon, and his massive self-inflicted burns rather quickly.
I always chalked this up to him being seduced into Dagon - the increasingly feverish fanatacism that slow burns and overtakes him from the early 'hell no' fear to the eventual 'well maybe' we see as he seems to pine for mermaid girl sweeping over him at last. The underwater intro with his interest in the city of gold seems like a hint to me and a smart inversion of what we see during the film (he is excited then sees the teeth and gets afraid when in the movie is is afraid then perhaps excited).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-18-20 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-18-20, 08:54 PM

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

This isn’t at the top of the Gordon films, but it’s decent enough. Not sure why it took me this long to watch it.
Old 10-18-20, 10:38 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm very "meh" on the movie.

The HD version looks really good though.
Old 10-18-20, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Despite the title, Dagon is sourced from The Shadow Over Innsmouth, about a secretive New England village whose inhabitants are hybrids of humans and the Deep Ones. At the short story's climax, the narrator discovers the he is also a fishmonster descendant. Dagon is a pretty faithful adaptation of Lovecraft's story with some beautiful visuals. The name of the village in the film, Imboca, literally "in mouth," is an obvious reference to Innsmouth. I also caught the lead actor's Miskatonic University sweatshirt.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-18-20 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

After watching Re-Animator in the morning and really enjoying it, I thought, "what the hell," I'll give Dagon a chance too. It may not have been as good as Re-Animator, but it was still pretty good. I could see myself watching it again via some nicer media than Tubi (although it didn't look too bad there). Hopefully it will be on Arrow Video eventually.
Old 10-19-20, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by pacaway
...Hopefully it will be on Arrow Video eventually.
Lionsgate recently released a blu-ray of Dagon through their Vestron Video line - I ordered it because enjoy Dagon and wanted to see it in high def. The picture quality was good, but perhaps made some of the tentacles look more rubbery than I remember and showed off some of the shortfalls. There are some decent supplements (2 commentaries, several interviews) I hope to pick through after the challenge. It's frustrating because everyone is selling Dagon for $25+ but recent Vestron titles have been much cheaper.
Old 10-19-20, 09:32 AM

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

I wonder how this would have turned out if Gordon made this in the late 80’s. I think it would have been cool to see Combs and Crampton in the lead roles. I’m willing to wager the “monster” would have looked better in latex/foam than the horrible cgi we got.
Old 10-19-20, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I wonder how this would have turned out if Gordon made this in the late 80’s. I think it would have been cool to see Combs and Crampton in the lead roles. I’m willing to wager the “monster” would have looked better in latex/foam than the horrible cgi we got.
That guy could have passed for Combs....
Old 10-19-20, 01:23 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

An unpopular opinion, but this is my favorite Stuart Gordon. It has more of a plot to it and I'm always a sucker for the "small village with dark secrets" trope. The first part, where you don't know what's going on with the village, is stronger than the reveal IMHO, but that's often the case. The unknown is spookier. I got the Vestron video a few years ago and this is my second time watching it. Good, crisp visuals.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (10-19-20)
Old 10-19-20, 02:11 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

This movie has grown on me with multiple viewings. I think it is a very good Lovecraft adaptation well directed by Stuart Gordon.

7/10
Old 10-20-20, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Never heard of this movie, and this is the only Vestron blu that I don't own. I really liked this one from start to finish, and it flew by because was having some fun with it. I felt the story and build up good enough to overlook the terrible CGI.
Old 10-20-20, 09:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

First time viewing, but won’t be the last. Really enjoyed it, and will be watching for a good price on that blu.