Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-29-20, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

Selected by alyxstarr

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

HBOMAX

CRITERION CHANNEL

KANOPY

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - Commentary by film historian David Kalat

ALYXSTARR LINK - Alternate (chamber) score by Cornelius Schwehr

ALYXSTARR LINK - Alternate (contemporary) score by Rainer Viertblock

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2020 DISCUSSION | 2020 LISTS

Old 10-16-20, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

The movie that introduced me to the terms somnambulism and somnambulist. Happy 100! "Er ist Caligari.. Caligari... Caligari!"
Old 10-16-20, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Any suggestions for the classic versus contemporary score?
Old 10-16-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
The movie that introduced me to the terms somnambulism and somnambulist. Happy 100! "Er ist Caligari.. Caligari... Caligari!"
I had to look that word up myself.
Old 10-16-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Caligari is a fascinating film that I wish I could experience more in it's time - watching it now I think it looks cool and antique and fascinating that everyone involved might be dead so what life they must have lived (not the least of which is preserved as a snapshot here). It's unquestionably artistic with a far out interesting story and surreal set design with a seemingly timeless cool sleepwalking hook... the framing device element of 'what is real' is excellent but I feel like there's a lot of commentary I cannot 'get.' I guess the value of 'art' is being able to project whatever meaning you relate to on it - but that's why Caligari we perceive today may not be the Caligari that was filmed. I do not think the film makers intended Caligari to mimic and represent Trump; which is beyond bizarre and prophetic.

I listened to this with the commentary by film historian David Kalat [big thanks to Alyxstarr for providing detailed bonuses like that] - it's a good listen with a lot of back story and analysis of the film, there's a bit much debating which dead person gets credit for which artistic choices but... the beginning and end are especially strong (the last 20 minutes of commentary are interesting passionate dissection of the ending).
The following 2 users liked this post by Undeadcow:
jholmes (10-16-20), Trevor (10-16-20)
Old 10-16-20, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I love this film. Way back in college, I took a film class, which introduced me to silent films, and this was one of the film's that made the biggest impression on me. I've used it as a gateway film into silent movies for friends. Very effective.

I also listened to the audio commentary and would definitely recommend it. I can't recall the guy's name on the Blu-ray I have, but I'm assuming he's the same one already mentioned. It provides a lot of good historical information.
Old 10-16-20, 11:39 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I've watched a number of silent horror films in my quest to get through the They Shoot Zombies list. They aren't my jam particularly. I have a hard time staying focused when there's no dialog. But I appreciate the gothic visual style on filmis like Der Golem and Faust. This one was also quite stunning visually, and I liked the unusual story of the guy who can bring a "somnambalist" to do his bidding. The ending twist was cool too.