Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"One Cut of the Dead" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

One Cut of the Dead (2017)

Selected by rbrown498

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

SHUDDER

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2019 DISCUSSION | 2019 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-20-19 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: "One Cut of the Dead" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

Please be advised that One Cut of the Dead is NOT over when the credits roll at somewhere around 37 minutes into it. Keep watching.

That's all the spoiling that I'm going to do; I debated not even saying that much, but I had a friend who said that if I hadn't told him to keep watching, he would have thought that it was over and turned it off. I don't want that to happen to you.
Old 10-15-19, 07:22 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

micro budget Zom/Com with an intriguing setup, but really just okay. i didn't find it funny beyond just amusement at the overall premise. not a bad one time watch.
Old 10-15-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I loved this. My favorite first time watch so far. Great pick
Old 10-15-19, 09:42 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Did they just trick me into watching a heart warming family/workplace drama? Well played, One Cut of the Dead. I loved it but it was nothing like I expected with it's gore covered zombie poster and axes, etc. I wish more films played around with plot structure like this; showing the conclusion then showing the conclusion again from a different light. Some of the humor was just odd enough to work and there was constantly something going on.

I wonder if there's any 'making of' material on One Cut of the Dead; that might be delightfully meta.
Old 10-15-19, 10:43 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I wonder if there's any 'making of' material on One Cut of the Dead; that might be delightfully meta.
Spoiler:
There's a ton of "making of" stuff on the region-free two-disc Third Window UK Blu-ray, including early workshops, rehearsals, etc. Maybe the coolest extra comes from a GoPro camera that the director wore as they were shooting the "one cut" part; it's delightfully meta in that you see the actors shooting the "film," the fake crew shooting them, and the real crew shooting them, from the director's viewpoint. I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of the Blu-ray; you can find it relatively inexpensively on eBay. It gets bonus points for having an adorable menu screen on the bonus disc.

Last edited by rbrown498; 10-15-19 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-15-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

At first, I was worried that you all had flipped your lid and wondered if I was watching the same movie, but after I hit that 37 minute mark, it became a totally different movie. I ended up loving this one and it's currently my favorite first-time view as well. I'll probably end up purchasing a copy of this somewhere down the line. Great movie. It was especially welcome coming off of a headache-inducing Leprechaun sequel.
Old 10-15-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
At first, I was worried that you all had flipped your lid and wondered if I was watching the same movie, but after I hit that 37 minute mark, it became a totally different movie. I ended up loving this one and it's currently my favorite first-time view as well. I'll probably end up purchasing a copy of this somewhere down the line. Great movie. It was especially welcome coming off of a headache-inducing Leprechaun sequel.
I had the same response for my first-time view. I suspected some review conspiracy that was getting me to watch a zero budget crappy zombie movie. While you don't really want the twist spoiled, people need to know just enough to not bail on the movie in the first 30 minutes. Even if its just "Watch the whole thing ... trust me!"
Old 10-15-19, 09:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

I was slightly confused when the credits rolled so early, but I always watch all the way to the end, at least on FTVs. It was a fun watch and that import BD is tempting.
Old 10-16-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Interesting premise with the one cut and sorta behind the scenes wrapped into one movie. I was not sure at first but I enjoyed the movie by the end.
Old 10-16-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I kind of liked the first part more. The second part was just a bit too goofy and felt rushed. The first part was good and wish they expanded on the whole blood thing. Interesting twist to the genre but felt the second part dragged a bit and was too long.
Old 10-22-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Man, I really loved this movie. I hated the first act and wanted to bail about a dozen times. I'm glad I stuck with it because I was kind of blown away by the other 2 acts. This is probably my favorite FTV, and I'll definitely look into buying this one.
Old 10-28-19, 12:22 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Man, I really loved this movie. I hated the first act and wanted to bail about a dozen times. I'm glad I stuck with it because I was kind of blown away by the other 2 acts. This is probably my favorite FTV, and I'll definitely look into buying this one.
I felt the same way, the whole thing ended up being incredibly fun. This is probably going to be my FTV as well.