Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray players - Current recommendations

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Blu-Ray players - Current recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 732 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray players - Current recommendations

Originally Posted by rocket1312
The big difference with the ub-820 besides Dolby Vision (which isn't nothing) is superior tone mapping via the hdr optimizer. It also has better build quality, a front display with runtime, etc and a better overall video processor. Your mileage may vary with some of that other stuff, but if hdr is important, then the 820 is absolutely worth the money.

The one negative thing I will say about it (and I'm sure this applies to both models) is the lack of a subtitle button on the remote. There's approximately 73 buttons on the darn remote, but they couldn't bother to put a subtitle button on it. Instead, if you want to toggle subs, you need to do multiple button presses via an onscreen menu. Mind boggling.
Thanks for the info. I would almost need to see them both side-by-side with the same UHD film playing, on my set to make a fair comparison. And, of course some films make better use of HDR than others, with their optimized encodes.

Lack of subtitle button? Wow, that's very major omission. Wonder if there's a universal remote which does have such a button, which will work on either of these Panasonic standalones.

Looks like spending $500+ on a standalone player is nothing these days. UHD players certainly aren't ubiquitous, or available for $30 or $40 like Blu-ray standalones were. A pity.

Ebay prices on the UB420 have suddenly doubled within the last month. Back in June, one could find UB420s on Ebay for $69 to $90. Now, the cheapest options are about $169 to $200, which seems insane, considering the player has been as cheap as $128 in the past on Amazon and at Best Buy.
Old 10-27-22, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Re: the Subtitle button on the remote for the Panasonic UB820, go seek out on Ebay (for around $15 or less) a replacement remote control for the Panasonic DPUB9000, and you'll regain the Subtitle button for a remote that will work with the UB820.
The following users liked this post:
DVD Polizei (11-05-22)
Old 10-28-22, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 992 Likes on 700 Posts

Wow, great tip! Will definitely pick one up.