Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray players - Current recommendations

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Blu-Ray players - Current recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray players - Current recommendations

I believe my Sony X700 4K Player crapped out last weekend.

Does anyone have any recommendation for other 4K Blu-Ray Players?

Preferably ones that support Dolby Vision, HDR10, etc.

Last edited by asianxcore; 03-22-22 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-22-22, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Unless you are willing to drop thousands on an older Oppo player, the choice at the higher end is the Panasonic with everything you ask. Probably the video reference player on UHD. $499

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-XYurir...caAuA3EALw_wcB
The following users liked this post:
asianxcore (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I believe my Sony X700 4K Player crapped out last weekend.

Does anyone have any recommendation for other 4K Blu-Ray Players?

Preferably ones that support Dolby Vision, HDR10, etc.
You don't want another x700?
asianxcore (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

The Reavon models are around $1000+ so far.

So far unknown as to whether the quality control is as good as Oppo. (They moved into the market vacated by Oppo).

The question is whether something made in china is a detriment in the longer term. (ie. Does it break/die shortly after the warranty expires?)
asianxcore (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
You don't want another x700?
It's been on my mind but I was annoyed that my previous one crapped out after only 2-years of use
Old 03-23-22, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's been on my mind but I was annoyed that my previous one crapped out after only 2-years of use
I understand. I wonder if that is happening consistently with this model. Because I have one.
asianxcore (03-25-22)
Old 03-23-22, 11:59 AM

(Going back further in time).

The first bluray player I purchased back in 2012, konked out after about two years or so. (An LG model).

Even before I purchased a standalone bluray player, I read through many reviews found via googling and amazon about quality control. Too many bad reviews all across the board of players dying too soon.

Since then with the introduction of 4Kbluray in 2016, I have been skeptical about the quality control of 4Kbluray players that I have not purchased one (yet). With the exception of maybe Oppo, I just assume the quality control would be just as bad as the previous generation of generic bluray players.
asianxcore (03-25-22)
Old 03-23-22, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The more I think about your x700 crapping out after two years, I'm thinking of hooking up my old blu-ray player to just play my 1080 and below so not use my 4k too much. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.
asianxcore (03-25-22)
Old 03-24-22, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
The Reavon models are around $1000+ so far.

So far unknown as to whether the quality control is as good as Oppo. (They moved into the market vacated by Oppo).

The question is whether something made in china is a detriment in the longer term. (ie. Does it break/die shortly after the warranty expires?)
Latest review of the newest Reavon player.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...player-review/
Old 03-25-22, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Latest review of the newest Reavon player.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...player-review/
I'm not disputing the technical specs. They certainly look impressive from various recent reviews and/or on the manufacturer's web site.

Currently it is unknown whether they will last many years and won't die shortly after the warranty expires. This will only be known over the next several years.
Old 03-25-22, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The more I think about your x700 crapping out after two years, I'm thinking of hooking up my old blu-ray player to just play my 1080 and below so not use my 4k too much. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.
I definitely didn't mean to instill any nervousness in you or others regarding the player

A friend of mine was over a week or so ago and I fired up my X700, like any other day/night. When it booted to the Home Screen, I noticed all the squares the Apps were in were pixelated and garbled. Initially, I thought that was very weird but didn't voice my thoughts, putting in the first 4K UHD we were watching (which played fine).

It wasn't until we tried to watch a second disc is when we found there was an issue. The player completely stopped responding to the remote (even with fresh batteries), would not boot up to the Home Screen and when it did boot up, it would go through an infinite cycle from black screen to a blurry Sony logo, turning on/off each time.

Since then I have tried the player on every other display I own and still ran into the same issue.

I ended up picking up the X700/M (I had the previous model) earlier this evening as I wanted to continue to enjoy the 4K UHDs I own that have Dolby Vision. Hoping this one works out a bit better than the previous model I owned!

Thank you to everyone for suggestions!
PhantomStranger (04-01-22)
Old 04-04-22, 03:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, nothing to brag about but I went ahead and picked up a Sony BDP-BX370 from B&H Photo. This thing is tiny. Not too much larger than just the optical drive in a desktop computer. OK, it's a bit wider but not much. Since I don't have or intend on buying anytime soon, 4K TV I settled on this. The only other thing I can add is that somehow this vendor triggered a Fraud Prevention call/message from my CC company. Apparently, folks like to buy or attempt to buy equipment from them (and probably vendors like them) with stolen credit cards or something.
Old 04-04-22, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

The current Sony players are tiny and light.

They seem more like Fisher Price toys than A/V equipment.
rduncan (04-06-22)
Old 08-07-22, 02:21 PM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I have a dumb question that I can’t seem to find an answer to by googling. I have a Sony x700 UHD player. I’m sick of this thing getting hung up during almost every UHD disc I play. I currently don’t have an atmos setup, but I will in the next year.
When looking at new players, does the player have to support atmos or does the receiver handle all the decoding?
Old 08-14-22, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The receiver does all the decoding, the Atmos data is already in the audio. That said, a big issue is that many discs default to outputting as PCM in order to deliver the secondary audio (including menu sound effects), even though not many discs even have these sounds. You have to remember to turn this off and make sure it's outputting Dolby TrueHD, if it's outputting PCM the Atmos data will not go through. Ditto for DTS:X.
Old 08-15-22, 02:58 PM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Great. Thanks.
Old 09-09-22, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I'm looking for a good newer model Blu-ray player for a bedroom. My current player is a Samsung unit that's about 5 years old. I think the power supply might be going out. After I turn it off, I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to power on.

The surge protector that it's plugged into is about 15 years old or older. I have order a new one to see if it's the problem. Paying $25 for a good new surge protector is better than dropping around $100 for a new player.

Another option is I would buy a new high end player to replace my living room Blu-ray player and put my living room unit in my bedroom.
Old 09-10-22, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I found tons of Blu-ray players at Goodwill and Savers for $7-$10 if you don't mind second hand. I just bought the Sony Bdp-6200 at Goodwill for $7.99. Upconverts to 4k and has SBM (super bit mapping) only found in higher end players.
Old 09-10-22, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does it do the same thing when it's plugged in without the surge protector?
Old 09-10-22, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does it do the same thing when it's plugged in without the surge protector?
I just plugged it in to the outlet directly and it will power on, but when I turn it off it won't power on again unless I unplug it and plug it back in. I guess I'm going to have to get a new player soon. I needed a new surge protector anyways.
Old 09-10-22, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rduncan
Well, nothing to brag about but I went ahead and picked up a Sony BDP-BX370 from B&H Photo. This thing is tiny.
How are you liking the Sony BDP-BX370? I'm thinking about getting one.
Old 09-10-22, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I wouldn't mind owning a 4K player that actually works. I have a Sony x700 and the only thing it plays correctly is SACD.
Old 09-10-22, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My x700 has been solid. The only problem would be if I accidentally got a fingerprint on the disc surface. Quick wipe with a microcloth and all's fine.
Old 09-11-22, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Considering getting a Panasonic UB-420 4k player before they're out of production. Seems to be one of the only reasonably-priced UHD standalone players still made. A good price on one of these is about $100 to $120. Any comments from owners of this unit will be welcomed. I know it's HDR only, but I don't need or want Dolby Vision. The UB-820 is about 3x as expensive, what does it get you over the UB-420 except Dolby Vision? Not much, if anything.
Old 09-12-22, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Considering getting a Panasonic UB-420 4k player before they're out of production. Seems to be one of the only reasonably-priced UHD standalone players still made. A good price on one of these is about $100 to $120. Any comments from owners of this unit will be welcomed. I know it's HDR only, but I don't need or want Dolby Vision. The UB-820 is about 3x as expensive, what does it get you over the UB-420 except Dolby Vision? Not much, if anything.
The big difference with the ub-820 besides Dolby Vision (which isn't nothing) is superior tone mapping via the hdr optimizer. It also has better build quality, a front display with runtime, etc and a better overall video processor. Your mileage may vary with some of that other stuff, but if hdr is important, then the 820 is absolutely worth the money.

The one negative thing I will say about it (and I'm sure this applies to both models) is the lack of a subtitle button on the remote. There's approximately 73 buttons on the darn remote, but they couldn't bother to put a subtitle button on it. Instead, if you want to toggle subs, you need to do multiple button presses via an onscreen menu. Mind boggling.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.