Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Reccomend a Projector and Screen

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-17-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Optima HD70, but am open to any HD PJ in the $900-$1300 range. Also a screen, preferably electric, at least 90".
Old 02-17-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Mits HD1000U projector people for $850 shipped no tax.

Screen thats a little different depends on the room being used in. The HD70 was my choice as well till I did some research, still a good choice though. Mits just slightly better quality.
Old 02-18-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's going to be in a finished basement rec room.
Old 02-18-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
Yes, I'd agree. The HD70 and the 1000U are the two "hot" PJ right now. I went with the HD70. Why? I didn't think I could make the increased lens offset of the Mit work in my set up (8 ft ceilings, 2 rows of seating).

The HD70 is a new pj while the Mit is older and had it price reduced.

One review I read suggested a grey screen for the HD70, but I think I'm going to stick to white.

This is a good, honest review....which after reading made me feel comfortable in my choice.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/Manu...HD70/index.asp
Old 02-18-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

SD, can you try to explain "lens offset" to me in simple terms?
Old 02-18-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The image from a pj does not go straight out from the pj. If you set the pj on a table the image is actually higher then the pj, you have seen this in a business setting I'm sure. The amount "higher" the image projects is the lens offset.

However, I mount my pj upside down on the ceiling. So, the image is LOWER then the ceiling. The Mit has a 35% lens offset while the HD70 has a 28 to 32% offset depending on who you ask. I was afraid with my two rows of seating and not very high riser on the rear row, the Mit would cast an image to low for the rear row to see. So went with the HD70.

If you are setting on a table or only have one row of seats, this is likely not an issue for you.
Old 02-18-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The HD70 is a new pj while the Mit is older and had it price reduced"

Thats actually why its a better projector, it has a glass lens while the HD70's is plastic hence not as sharp/detailed pic, however it is slight but the mits is more detailed because of it. The HD70 was made with cheaper parts to lower its MSRP to $999, while the mits was better made higher quality parts but with a higher price. Which has since dropped in price only because of the HD70 to compete.

I think we pointed out the two actual differences better optics in mits , more forgiving throw on the hd70. But most people dont have theater seating so...picture quality it is.

Oh I'll mention one more thing, the color is off on the mits. Most wanna just pretend or ignore it is'nt . But it is simple as that, I can only really tell if I have my 24inch dell montior on at same time but the mits IS off, greens are to yellow and reds shift toward maroon if you ask me. And it as of now can't be corrected.
Old 02-18-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If the color is off on the Mits, isn't that a real issue that would push a buyer towards the HD70?
Old 02-18-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdtv00
"The HD70 is a new pj while the Mit is older and had it price reduced"

Thats actually why its a better projector, it has a glass lens while the HD70's is plastic hence not as sharp/detailed pic, however it is slight but the mits is more detailed because of it. The HD70 was made with cheaper parts to lower its MSRP to $999, while the mits was better made higher quality parts but with a higher price. Which has since dropped in price only because of the HD70 to compete.

I think we pointed out the two actual differences better optics in mits , more forgiving throw on the hd70. But most people dont have theater seating so...picture quality it is.

Oh I'll mention one more thing, the color is off on the mits. Most wanna just pretend or ignore it is'nt . But it is simple as that, I can only really tell if I have my 24inch dell montior on at same time but the mits IS off, greens are to yellow and reds shift toward maroon if you ask me. And it as of now can't be corrected.
1st I was not insulting the Mit by saying it was "older". However, I do not necessarily agree the mit has "better parts". Since the Mit is older it's parts automatically cost most. Prices have come down. You saying the HD70 has cheaper parts to keep it's price down is like saying a new computer today is made with cheaper parts to keep it price down compared to past years. Remember, these are mainly computer type parts and parts that have come down drastically in price in recent year. The HD70 is a solid, well made, unit. We will continue to see PJ coming out in this price range.

2nd, IMHO, you cannot pick out individual parts of a PJ (or any display for that matter) and make a universal statement about that PJ. You mention "glass lens". The old Infocus 5000 has a glass lens, 720p and can be had in this same price range. Yet it totally sucks! It is a terrible PJ. (No offense to those that have one) When it was on Woot for very cheap, people were still not buying it. A display works by how it interact with all the parts.

3rd. Every PJ and display has it pro's and con's. Yes even that infocus 5000 might work well for some as it is so damm bright! There is no one display that is "better" for everyone, in every situation, for what you want to watch.

4th. the sharpness issue is a touchy one. I had the opportunity to pick up the mit before I picked up my HD70. And since I built the riser in my theater, I could have added to it. Yea, would have been work, but could have done it. The Mit is almost to sharp. I don't think it is a lens issue. At time the image looked very harsh and "digital". I totally agree it was unbelievably sharp. But again, I got the feeling there was some processing involved and every now and again felt harsh and digital. The HD70 is not as sharp. But it is not a sever difference. It is very, close. But the HD70 felt more natural to me and slightly warm. Remember these are just my personal preferences observations. You (or anyone) may feel different.
Old 02-18-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
If the color is off on the Mits, isn't that a real issue that would push a buyer towards the HD70?
You got to understand these two PJ's are very good pj's. But they are budget models. They are not perfect. They both have some "issues" as would be expected from the lowest offering from each company.

Again, these are both very good (tho not excellent) pj's are an excellent price. To get an "excellent" picture your going to have to spend more money.

And when we pick on this projector not being as sharp or the colors are off or the black levels are not as good or whatever, we are really almost nit picking. Yes, the mit is reporting has having "off colors". But it is still so good you won't see the difference unless you have something to compare it to. It is doubtful your or your friends would walk in your room and say "look at those terrible colors". No one will notice.

The same as with my HD70. Most report and (and I tend to agree) that besides being slightly less sharp that it could also use some help at deeper blacks. Many folks are using a grey screen with the HD70 to help with the black levels. I'm sticking with white, as I think the grey hurts the whites more then helps the blacks. But again, that is just my opinion. And again, this black level issue is not going to jump out at you. It is subtle.

I have noticed that the HD70 and I'm sure the Mit as well, is so good, I can see quality differences in the DVD players I use! I have been using a pretty cheap DVDp player with built in tivo for years and thought it was fine. For x-mas my son got a PS3. It is amazing how much better the PS3 is (with 480p DVDs) then my old player. All that to say, you would not want to go to cheaply with a DVD player as these PJ will expose it's faults.
Old 02-18-07, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also a screen, preferably electric, at least 90".
A good quality tensioned electric screen is going to run you more than the PJ's cost

Since you are putting this in a basement, consider a Carada Criterion fixed screen. You won't be disappointed.
Old 02-18-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd spend between $75-$150 and build a DIY screen.
Old 02-18-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
You got to understand these two PJ's are very good pj's. But they are budget models. They are not perfect. They both have some "issues" as would be expected from the lowest offering from each company.

Again, these are both very good (tho not excellent) pj's are an excellent price. To get an "excellent" picture your going to have to spend more money.
Alright, would you please let me know what PJs in a slightly higher price range are worth spending the extra $$$?
Old 02-18-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What kind of cash are you willing to spend on a screen and what type of image are you looking for?

Send an email requesting screen samples to Dalite, Carada, Stewart*ect ...

*Stewart screens are expensive but the Studiotek 130 is the standard for a white screen if you are willing to pay for it.

I recently bought a pull down Model B High Power from Dalite and love it. As my projector bulb ages the screen makes a big difference.
Old 02-18-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd probably pay up to about $400 for the screen.
Old 02-18-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would just move up in the line of these same brands for one. The HD73 is getting rave reviews for one. If you want to check out a LCD models, the Panny AX1000U and Sanyo PLV-Z5 are pretty hot and offers versital placement with its lens shift. The Infocus IN76 is a fan favorite.

There are many others....but his should get you started.
Old 02-19-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well when i said parts i really meant lens, the glass lens is what gives it the edge on detail. Im not sure about the hd70's blacks but the mits blacks really suprise me, compared to the X1 I had. The blacks are loads better on my mits than my 24 inch dell , course being lcd no shock there really.

As for steps up the hd72 or 73 maybe the mits hd3000. Like was said they are pretty damn cheap projectors at this point, but they are way above quality if you go back just 2 or 3 years. For $850 the mits is an insane deal, hell some people won the lottery they even were given the free bulb at that price....can you imagine....
Old 02-19-07, 08:17 PM
Suspended

I'd go with the HD1000U.
Old 02-19-07, 09:13 PM

A 90 inch fixed Carada screen would be my choice. Another above poster is correct in that a good quality electric screen could often cost more than BOTH the projectors and screens people have been mentioning in this thread. A high quality, fixed screen would give you great bang for the buck, but you may have to use that wall for some reason.
Old 02-19-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by johnglad
A 90 inch fixed Carada screen would be my choice. Another above poster is correct in that a good quality electric screen could often cost more than BOTH the projectors and screens people have been mentioning in this thread. A high quality, fixed screen would give you great bang for the buck, but you may have to use that wall for some reason.
A fixed screen is out of the question.
Old 02-19-07, 10:19 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I'd probably pay up to about $400 for the screen.
Then you better get a projector that can use a high power screen because that's the only way you're going to minimize the appearance of waves and have a pull-down screen for that price.
Old 02-19-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
Then you better get a projector that can use a high power screen because that's the only way you're going to minimize the appearance of waves and have a pull-down screen for that price.
I've seen several electric screens well below that price range. Tensioned screens as well.
Old 02-19-07, 10:29 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I'd sure like to see links to those!

The only tensioned electric ones I found acceptable started at just under $2K. I think tensioned pull-downs started around $900 or so.

We're talking real tensioning here, not just a pole to add rigidity.
Old 02-19-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A fixed screen is out of the question.
Why?
Old 02-19-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdtv00
well when i said parts i really meant lens, the glass lens is what gives it the edge on detail. Im not sure about the hd70's blacks but the mits blacks really suprise me, compared to the X1 I had. The blacks are loads better on my mits than my 24 inch dell , course being lcd no shock there really.
I had a X1 prior to my HD70 as well. I'm happy with the blacks, but they could be a little more rich. Some reviews suggest using a grey screen to help with this on the HD70, but some simple testing and I really didn't like grey. Think I will stick with white.

I should be home for all of March and April, so think I will build a new screen. Currently have a cloth 94" screen, but I'm going to try a different material and maybe go with 100" to 104", depending on how low that gets.

I want to use my old X1 and old screen for a simple outdoor set up. Think that would be fun, tho where I live not a lot of time to enjoy that!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.