Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Reccomend a Projector and Screen

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Reccomend a Projector and Screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Off topic but similar no less, how is the picture quality of the 1000U in a non-light controlled room? I live in a moderately sized house but don't have a room to dedicate 24x7 to be a theatre, but am interested in having one for nights and the like there of, is the thing completely useless when sunlight is an issue?
Light control is an issue for any display. I'd argue that you have more options by going with a PJ (you can get different color screens, etc).

You say having a pj for nights, are you thinking of a temp set up? What room?
Old 06-26-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Light control is an issue for any display. I'd argue that you have more options by going with a PJ (you can get different color screens, etc).

You say having a pj for nights, are you thinking of a temp set up? What room?
I suppose it would be a temp setup in a side den-style room.

After reading about that particular projector, grey matte seems to be the way to go in terms of screens, any idea what kind of fabric is used for em? Or if its a special blend? Would having a secondary white matte be good for daytime? I don't know what I'm really rambling about, but any info would be great... hehe.
Old 06-26-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
I suppose it would be a temp setup in a side den-style room.

After reading about that particular projector, grey matte seems to be the way to go in terms of screens, any idea what kind of fabric is used for em? Or if its a special blend? Would having a secondary white matte be good for daytime? I don't know what I'm really rambling about, but any info would be great... hehe.
You got to narrow it down more. Are you going to set this up permanent? Can you go with a fixed screen?

If you can go with a fixed screen, they are reasonably priced and can get grey or white. Can you measure and handle a drill? Build your own. There is an entire thread over at AVS using various paints, fabrics and I'm considering going with Wilsonart laminate counter top material.
Old 06-26-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I've been looking around AVSForum, this will be my weekend project.
Old 06-28-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I got my projector today, all I can express is . I'm projecting up against an old wall that isn't smooth in the least at about 74" and am amazed at how beautiful a picture this thing (HD1000U) has. I was half-expecting it to be disappointing after how hyped I was, but good god is it nice, especially considering the price ($850). Even the SD stuff is looking good (but nowhere near the jaw-droping amazingness of HD).

Decided to go with BOC, Vinyl-side out. Bought the material, now I just need to make a mount. My main concern is I move in about 20 days and don't really want to butcher the wall here.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-28-07 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well I got my projector today, all I can express is . I'm projecting up against an old wall that isn't smooth in the least at about 74" and am amazed at how beautiful a picture this thing (HD1000U) has. I was half-expecting it to be disappointing after how hyped I was, but good god is it nice, especially considering the price ($850). Even the SD stuff is looking good (but nowhere near the jaw-droping amazingness of HD).

Decided to go with BOC, Vinyl-side out. Bought the material, now I just need to make a mount. My main concern is I move in about 20 days and don't really want to butcher the wall here.
Welcome to the 1000u club. I watched V for Vendetta last night and was blown away. Amazing PJ.