Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Columbia House Sale Offer Codes, Part IV

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Just discovered that you can apparently delete any/all CC information you have ever used. I had 5 "messages" which all concerned expired virtual cards. When I went to check this out I discovered that you can see all CC previously used. I deleted all the expired ones. Interestingly a few of these on my account are the same CC# as the current one but with different expiration dates. I always use a virtual CC and will extend the date occasionally as need arises. It seems that there is an entry for each time the original date expired even though I had edited the card to indicate a new expiration. It also appears that you can delete the current/only card on file as well. I may try this after my latest order gets charged/shipped to see (unless someone beats me to it and posts results).

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-03-08 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-03-08, 07:01 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgive me for living in the stone age,but what is a virtual credit card?
Old 06-03-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^It's a "temporary" credit card number that is tied to your primary/fixed card number. It can be setup to be used only once or on a recurring basis. If setup on a recurring basis it can only be used at the merchant where it was first used and then only for the amount and/or time limit set. This helps protect your "real" CC # in the event the information gets stolen from a site as the virtual card is worthless if stolen. It can also help protect against overcharges.

For example: I want to make a purchase of $25 at CH using a code. I log into my CC account and setup a virtual CC for $50 (because of the way CH typically hits a card) and give it an expiration date 2 months out (the minimum allowed). Now if CH screws up the order and attempts to charge more than I've setup it will be declined. This gives me a chance to either "fix" the card, "fix" the order w/CH, or just cancel it altogether if the hassle seems too great. If I wish, I can log back into my CC account before the virtual card expires and add $$$ or time to keep it alive for further purchases.

I've attempted to use "one time" numbers at CH but they usually "hit" your card with a temporary charge to check the validity of the card (sometimes this amount is as much as the order total which is why I put double the amount on a limited use card). This "temporary" charge effectively kills the one-time use card as it got its' one "use" when the "temp" charge hit.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-03-08 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rider555
Forgive me for living in the stone age,but what is a virtual credit card?
Some credit card companies will allow the customer to create a temporary card number to be used for a specific purchase. The customer can select a dollar and time limit for which the card number is valid.

When using temporary card numbers with Columbia House, one must remember that CH will usually use a temporary charge to test the card so it is best to make the dollar limit at least twice the anticipated charge.

Some CH customers here will use a temporary card number to limit any unexpected charges that CH might add on. However, if CH did add on an additional charge, for a Director's Selection for example, one must still fix the problem or the account will become delinquent. So a virtual card number may give some leverage but isn't a panacea for preventing CH billing errors.
Old 06-03-08, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thejester
Well, that's kink. Guess I'll have some re-tooling to do? If I can.

I still only see the old site.

try logging in and playing around - adding things to the cart and such - thats what finally got it changed over for me...

and yes... it appears this new system is going to be very different - hopefully you can adapt the tool.
Old 06-04-08, 09:52 AM

I just got both codes 801888 and 805798 to work successfully on the new site. The codes must be entered after you go into your shopping cart. Bottom right hand corner. Enter code and click (update) before clicking (checkout)
Old 06-04-08, 10:01 AM

Has anyone else had a pre-order disappear during the switch to the new site? During the B1G4 sale, I used a pre-order of Dirty Harry Blu-ray as one of my B1. When I check my order history on the new site, Dirty Harry isn't there and it just has the G4 DVDs and the cost of shipping.
Old 06-04-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used a b1g4 code to pre-order Batman Begins Bluray. It's still there on the new site but all the freebies are gone. So it's just a B1Gjackshitexceptwhatyapaidfor deal. I sent off an email asking them to cancel the order and am waiting to hear back.

Edited to add:

The Contact Us page isn't working right for me so the email didn't go thru. I called em and canceled it with no problems.

Last edited by Kicker_of_Elves; 06-04-08 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-04-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^

Thanks for the heads-up. As of right now, my freebies are still showing up with my Batman Begins BD pre-order. However, this account is still on the old site. I'll keep a close eye on this situation.
Old 06-04-08, 12:23 PM

I got the new site and i have the same problem. I also checked my closed accounts and they are all active now with the new site ??? Whats up with that ?
Old 06-04-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LKRUNNELS
I just got both codes 801888 and 805798 to work successfully on the new site. The codes must be entered after you go into your shopping cart. Bottom right hand corner. Enter code and click (update) before clicking (checkout)
I got "The code you entered is not valid" for both.
Old 06-04-08, 01:23 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by LKRUNNELS
Just tried, and it says "Promotion code xxxxxx is not valid!"
Old 06-04-08, 02:00 PM

That sucks. I forgot to mention that I already received my G4 and paid the shipping. I'd be pissed if I hadn't, but as it stands now, I got 4 DVDs for $7.50.

Originally Posted by kicker_of_elves
I used a b1g4 code to pre-order Batman Begins Bluray. It's still there on the new site but all the freebies are gone. So it's just a B1Gjackshitexceptwhatyapaidfor deal. I sent off an email asking them to cancel the order and am waiting to hear back.
Old 06-04-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My account still shows the old way. My closed account is now "re-opened" in the new format.

I think my 'old way' is due to the fact that I have 2 more pre-orders coming up from older orders. Maybe it'll switch after those have shipped?
Old 06-04-08, 03:28 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by thejester
My account still shows the old way. My closed account is now "re-opened" in the new format.

I think my 'old way' is due to the fact that I have 2 more pre-orders coming up from older orders. Maybe it'll switch after those have shipped?
I have a pre-order scheduled to ship on July 8th and I made the order before I got the new site... so you'll probably get the site sooner or later. (Before your pre-order ships)
Old 06-04-08, 03:40 PM

i've had about 4 closed accounts re-opened. you think they'll close again automatically or i'll have to call in and close them again?
Old 06-04-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, same here. I don't see the new site on my current open accounts yet, but I just tried to log into the last account I closed (and I made sure it was closed when I called weeks/months ago) it's working once again, and it's showing the new site.

Weird.
Old 06-04-08, 07:44 PM

Today is the first time the new site has worked for me.

I had also pre-ordered the Batman Begins deluxe set in the B1G4 deal and for me, it appears like everything transfered over to the new site correctly.
Old 06-04-08, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by y0girlg0tskillz
Just tried, and it says "Promotion code xxxxxx is not valid!"
NEITHER are working for me now 8:11pm Central
Old 06-04-08, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by vcuram
Has anyone else had a pre-order disappear during the switch to the new site? During the B1G4 sale, I used a pre-order of Dirty Harry Blu-ray as one of my B1. When I check my order history on the new site, Dirty Harry isn't there and it just has the G4 DVDs and the cost of shipping.

same - i'll take that error in my favor
Old 06-04-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My MIA order showed up this evening and is correct. It's not been there the past 2 days. Those who have stuff "missing" might be on the lookout.

And... Is it just me or is the "Deal of the Day" missing?
Old 06-05-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grenachi
Today is the first time the new site has worked for me.

I had also pre-ordered the Batman Begins deluxe set in the B1G4 deal and for me, it appears like everything transfered over to the new site correctly.
Only two of my three "B2G1 Blu-ray + 2 free DVD" orders went through. The other is lost not showing up on the site.
Old 06-05-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kicker_of_elves

Edited to add:

The Contact Us page isn't working right for me so the email didn't go thru. I called em and canceled it with no problems.
Same thing happened to me but with a worse Blu-ray disc being the only thing showing up still as part of the order. I say "worse" because it is 10,000 B.C., which I ordered to trade on High Def Digest after I watched it once. Bascially was ordering to get all the freebie stuff. I will be returning it now instead.
Old 06-05-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^

Thanks for the heads-up. As of right now, my freebies are still showing up with my Batman Begins BD pre-order. However, this account is still on the old site. I'll keep a close eye on this situation.
Well, my order has now transferred to the new site and surprise, surprise, the freebies are now missing from my order history. I just sent them an email telling them that I still expect to receive the complete order when it ships next month. I included a copy of the confirmation email that they sent me when I first placed the order as proof of the freebies. I'll post their response once I receive it.
Old 06-05-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Count me as another that has a missing order in my history after the transition to the new site.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.