DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Black Friday 2021

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Black Friday 2021

Best Buy

Their Black Friday ad is finally up. Media sale begins on Sunday 22nd, 2021 - appears to be week long; first come first served.

And probably the worst of the big box stores this year, just a tiny blurb.

Quote...

4k UHD and Blu-Ray for $7.99 each. Choose from 90 titles.
That's it. No DVDs listed or shown.

There could be some unlisted in store titles. They typically have cardboard shelves with DVDs; movies and TV shows. But then again, so did Target in past years.
Old 11-16-21, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,983 Likes on 2,034 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnIan
One of the main avenues for merchants is the Port Of Los Angeles. Because of our insane governor; the only transport trucks, big rigs allowed are hybrid vehicles - to enter and leave California.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ns/8456582002/

Fact check: California trucking regulations aren't to blame for cargo backlog

The claim: A cargo backlog in California is due in part to a statewide 'truck ban'

"The NEWS says the California port situation is caused by a driver shortage," reads a Facebook post published Oct. 13. "Not so fast: It is in part caused by a California Truck Ban which says all trucks must be 2011 or newer and a law called AB 5 which prohibits Owner Operators."

The post racked up more than 13,000 shares within one day. Similar versions of the claim have also accumulated tens of thousands of interactions on Facebook, according to CrowdTangle, a social media insights tool.

But experts say trucking regulations aren't to blame for the cargo backlog.

"To attribute the problems of today to this mandate is not accurate," Miguel Jaller Martelo, co-director of the Sustainable Freight Research Program at the University of California-Davis, said in an email. "I would concentrate more on low wages, and new shipping trends that resulted from shifts in demand and consumption patterns during COVID."
[...]
About 96% of trucks serving California's major ports are already compliant with the rule, according to Karen Caesar, an information officer for the California Air Resources Board.
[...]
At the port of Los Angeles, for example, all trucks with access to the port in August had 2007 or newer engines. Caesar also noted the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach have had additional, stricter requirements for older trucks for years.

"These rules are not new," Matt Schrap, CEO of the Harbor Trucking Association, which represents carriers at West Coast ports, told USA TODAY. "The only thing that's close to new is the DMV registration ban, but that only includes vehicles that are not currently in compliance with the rule, which does not include any of the trucks that are in operation at the ports of L.A. and Long Beach."
[...]
In September 2020, Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, announced a ban on new gas-powered cars by 2035. The executive order would require new cars and light trucks to be zero-emission by that year, although some medium- and heavy-duty trucks would have an extra decade to comply with the mandate.

Old 11-17-21, 03:43 AM

It's not a driver shortage.
The following users liked this post:
berigan (11-28-21)
Old 11-17-21, 07:18 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 259 Posts

I picked up Supernatural: The 15th and Final Season, and Fear the Walking Dead: Seasons 1-3 box set for $9.96 ea. @ Walmart this year.

Forgot, I got A Quiet Place: Part II from Amazon, who was price-matching Walmart @ $7.96...

That's it. There weren't many interesting (to me) movies out in 2021. WW 1984 and Godzilla vs. King Kong were possibilities but I didn't like the $9.96/$9.99 price tag. In the past they'd be 7.96 (which I would be more inclined to pay), why the hike?

Some BF this turned out to be...
Old 11-17-21, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 971 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Cabler30 it has less to to with the pandemic as it does with trucks.

No.

One of the main avenues for merchants is the Port Of Los Angeles. Because of our insane governor; the only transport trucks, big rigs allowed are hybrid vehicles - to enter and leave California. Why not just mod the existing trucks?

They made it clear this is just the start - they're pushing for 100% electric trucks or no big rigs can operate in the state. So why even mod their fleet? It will become null and even more money has to be spent to make it up to CA code. This is why so little merchandise is arriving at stores and prices going up. Supplies are getting harder to come by.

The next level of insanity - they want all the cargo ships parked off the coast (waiting for available trucks to unload) to LEAVE. If they don't have hybrid vehicles on the ready, don't bother coming to California. Not joking. God wish I was joking.

This is why we have a supply shortages and rising inflation. There are not enough hybrid vehicles to unload onto. Things will only get worse. They think they're doing us all a favor by going Green, but solar and wind are not long term viable; windless days and cloudy weather will give us black outs for days and day. Dark days are coming for us in CA...

And the rest of the nation because of their irrational pursuits, child-like daydreams. This is why Black Friday sucks, not because of the pandemic. I've seen so many people not wearing their mask proper - they're going through the motions. Under their jaw or under their noses. What's the point? The answer is politicians wanting to be edgy.
This is almost so preposterous as to beggar belief... If it is true, Calif. is truly the nanny state to lead them all, and we're really, really fucked. And I'm one that actually supports EVs, But not in this black-and-white manner. There needs to be a gradual transition, as well as a "grandfathered" period, in order for inflation not to go nuts, supply to diminish, and demand to skyrocket for goods.
Old 11-18-21, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
This is almost so preposterous as to beggar belief... If it is true, Calif. is truly the nanny state to lead them all, and we're really, really fucked. And I'm one that actually supports EVs, But not in this black-and-white manner. There needs to be a gradual transition, as well as a "grandfathered" period, in order for inflation not to go nuts, supply to diminish, and demand to skyrocket for goods.

Read post #27 before going on a tirade.
Old 11-19-21, 03:30 AM

If it is true, Calif. is truly the nanny state
It is the state that made it not much of a crime to knowingly infect people with HIV; Senate Bill (SB) 239, signed into law by the last governor in 2017.

- - -

Back on topic...

What I would like to see is help.

As we edge towards this years Black Friday. Can people who are regular customers to Target and Big Lots comment on what they're seeing.

Have the stores put out TV shows and recent movies for discount? Last year Target had ten dollar television series seasons. And Big Lots had a cardboard shelf with the same.

Have both stores dropped this completely. Fellow DVDTalkers, we need your help.
Old 11-21-21, 10:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen videos on youtube that walmart put out media for black friday already by chance instead of waiting to do the day or nite before cause i guessing they wont be open thursday and but friday for sales if not already started the sales for year. i dont plan go for media cause same hassles like last year as charge too much to try gain more cause past lockdowns or lack of sales any. can check other places or just skip media for now since have so much already
Old 11-22-21, 05:13 AM

Dollar Tree

There will be a large BF media display (DVDs and BDs), scheduled for November 26th. As to be expected some stores will have them out earlier. Call your local store before you travel, 'did you get any new DVDs, movies recently?'

Some of those titles are out of print release. The snag - these are now priced at $1.25, not a big deal. But need to be pointed out. As in - much of the store is now a dollar and twenty-five cents.

Special thanks to Cardsfan111 for this information.

Sale ends 11/27.

- - -

i guessing they wont be open thursday and but friday for sales if not already started the sales for year.
Nope. They'll be open. The media was first come, first served. I went back the big store where I got most of the DVDs; nearly all gone. They did not restock, nor plan to.

i dont plan go for media cause same hassles like last year
It's done. Gone. You missed your shot, the only day to get them was on the 12th. Many folks like myself went bought titles. And...

I did write that preview sale was available to members; the rest of us would get to buy on the 12th.

or just skip media for now since have so much already
No such thing.
Old 11-23-21, 08:01 AM

Called my local Dollar Tree about their BF DVD sale. Was told I was misinformed, not real.

Then called another store. Yup, they have the shipment, can't put out until the 26th. So there. Will be going there this Friday.
Old 11-24-21, 11:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, some stores get and some stores dont for any reason but some do stock them sooner then labeled so it 50/50 chance stores get any and stock before or on date posted to stock any.
Old 11-25-21, 03:56 AM

Was at my local store, now yesterday evening; needed chives and swabs.

Before I got to ask - was told they had received four boxes of movies. But won't put them out until Friday since they still had Thanksgiving merchandise to sell tomorrow, now today.

A 180.

Now I have two stores to visit on Friday.
Old 11-25-21, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

I've heard this Dollar tree wave is similar to prior recent waves - mostly DVDs and a smattering of BDs. I never did ever come across any CDs which some had reported a couple months back.
Old 11-26-21, 06:39 AM

I've heard this Dollar tree wave is similar to prior recent waves - mostly DVDs and a smattering of BDs.
I need more cases. Before those say you can cases from other outlets.

These are studio cases, not those discount cases where the inserts doesn't even fit inside. I don't use them period.
Old 11-27-21, 04:18 AM

Only one store near me had them out...

The second store was too busy to put them out. I will try again later (now) today.
Old 11-28-21, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there were a ton of dvds and blu's at the Dollar Tree I hit in Fayetteville GA, to the point my legs and knees said no mas. Most I've ever seen. of course, my happiest purchase , Wild River, is ruined, as I bought a bottle of Comet surface cleaner, and it leaked...somehow it got though the plastic and ruined it :/
Old 11-28-21, 04:40 AM

Too bad about "Wild River", did not see this at my stores. Would've bought it if it were on DVD that and "Sharpe".

- - -

Both stores had their movies and TV shows all for $1.00 still. Not the new price. Got a good number of cases on the second store.