Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DVD Finds at Charity Shops etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: DVD Finds at Charity Shops etc.

Picked up Criterion's This is Spinal Tap! for $3 yesterday at Goodwill. I doubt I'll come across a greater find than that!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mondo Kane:
DiggityDawg (09-13-20), milo bloom (09-12-20)
Old 09-13-20, 12:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clintfunhome
I've been hitting up the thrift stores a few times each week in the last month. The best find I got so far is Carnivale Season 2, but it was $9. Not sure if that was a good deal or not but it was something I've been looking for. I did get Beauty and the Beast and Tangled on bluray for $.49 each today though.

The prices around here are: Salvation Army = $.49, Goodwill - $1.49, and AmVets - $1.99. Its a bit frustrating finding something you want and its scratched up or missing. So I always spend a lot of time going through each case to make sure they're in good quality. Its worth it though.
Yea, at thrift unless they are still sealed by chance gotta check if scratch any at time or got right cds ,etc. i may try go monday if all goes right but it not gotta do if gotta deal with line to get in cause pandemic. i just gotta get to place before open and hope not a long line any lol. so hope most are at job any so not gotta wait in line too long to see what possible at time and every keeps decent space so not gotta worry get sic any at time. if any and none i real want since have so much can check 99 cent store see what got to score at time to not waste time walk so far and walk home empty any.
Old 09-20-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Picked up an impeccable copy of Image release of Jean Anouilh's 'Antigone' at the local Goodwill store for $2.99 - disc is like brand new.

At another store just a mile away, picked up a sealed 10 disc set of Fox's 'Cinema Pride Collection' also for $2.99
Old 09-20-20, 10:45 PM

Yea, where i go i can score some like new movies still sealed that donated by stores or places try get rid of any stock of media by chance. have scored some shows or seasons of any for 1.99 and one i almost got was sold before i can go back and snag cause wanted other stuff and some reason thought it might not sell but was wrong cause other collectors or resellers by chance. so have learned anytime gotta snag stuff cause if not get at time then no promise it gonna be there next trip u try score it any.
Old 09-22-20, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by cabler30
Yea, where i go i can score some like new movies still sealed that donated by stores or places try get rid of any stock of media by chance. have scored some shows or seasons of any for 1.99 and one i almost got was sold before i can go back and snag cause wanted other stuff and some reason thought it might not sell but was wrong cause other collectors or resellers by chance. so have learned anytime gotta snag stuff cause if not get at time then no promise it gonna be there next trip u try score it any.
I've learned if you initially pass on an interesting item, it will always be gone the next time you visit.
Old 09-24-20, 10:10 PM

Yea, recent trip scored copy cartoon mulan 2cd set and peter pan 2 cd set and the godfather gift pack or collection with 4 dvds of movies and extras can enjoy. cause last trip skip some and went and they was gone so i make a stack and try decide what i want most any. all got was not sealed but checkd and cds was watchable. but yep, sometimes u leave any maybes and next go back may be sold anytime. i try score sealed stuff but other times some used or not sealed are still worth a grab if not ruined any at time. so i think anytime i can find sealed or not ruined dvds any still a non wasted trip. i just gotta go early or gotta wait inline cause virus crap. by chance been early 2 times and learned line forms sometime after it opens.
Old 10-06-20, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Been awhile since I've been to Savers & since it's 30% off for seniors today I decided to check the store out.

No BD's this time, but here is my DVD haul:

The Molly Maguires
Disney's The Muppet Christmas Carol - still had the rewards code inside.
Summer Magic - Another Disney title & this one was still sealed.
Il Divo - wrapping was off, but the sticker on top wasn't; pulled out the DVD & it was in mint condition
The Avengers '62 box set - contains 14 episodes of the series 2nd season that were made in 1962 w/ Honor Blackman & Patrick Macnee.
Old 10-06-20, 04:34 PM

Yea, i try go random times if can do anytime but gotta save and wait since pandemic have to go early or deal with lines hassles lol. since they know they get a lot traffic they try limit how many inside which include workers anytime. i like the limit so then media not so crowded anytime now. have scored alot god stuff but got so much i can wait till find reason to go again later.
Old 11-23-20, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asianxcore
The best thing I've found at the various Thift Shops in the town I moved to was a sealed copy of Pinocchio (1940) on Blu-Ray.

I believe I paid $3 for it.
You had great luck - I rarely see a Disney 2-disc set that has both discs in it in the charity shops.
Old 11-23-20, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I think it got overlooked in the Last DVD Bought thread, but I recently found the Star Wars Trilogy set that includes the original theatrical versions for only $3 at a Savers store. I almost had a heart attack when I slid the case out and saw what it was.
The following users liked this post:
DiggityDawg (11-23-20)
Old 11-26-20, 11:41 PM

Cool to score the original movie set before it got changed by lucas at time. have not been to place i go to cauuse know limits now and place get a lot traffic so idk can wait try go early anytime but sunday cause closed for everyone. cause place has it in area by shoes and that area always busy it seems so u try find with limited space sometimes so it ruins fun of try score good stuff sometimes. but have scored some good i think may have sold to resellers or others by chance. have to wait to check dollar tree and then branch off since can score some good at thrift if go right time i guess.