DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DVD Finds at Charity Shops etc.

Old 10-03-16, 05:57 PM

DVD Finds at Charity Shops etc.

I didn't see a thread about this but thought it would be fun to start one for the (used - and sometimes not) dvds members have found locally at Goodwill, Salvation Army, other charity shops, etc. Of course these will all be "one of a kind" finds but it's interesting to know what others have been able to find locally at bargain prices.

I stop off at the charity shops in my town about once a week just to check the dvds and records. In the past few weeks, I've bought:

Catholic charity shop:
the first Burke's Law boxed set (4 discs) $3.00
Band of Angels (Clark Gable) $1.50
MGM When The Lion Roars 2 disc set $1.50
Agatha Christie Queen of Crime 3 disc set $1.50
Country Music All Stars (40's C&W soundies and 50's tv appearances of Gene Autry, Carolina Cotton, Burl Ives, Jim Reeves, etc; this was probably sold only online or by mail) $1.50
Beethoven Symphony No 9 & Wagner Siegfried Idyll (1965 PBS films) $1.50

Goodwill, $1.99 each:
Ivory-Merchant/Criterion's 2 disc Maurice (sealed!)
Grand Ole Opry: Love Songs (vintage tv country music clips, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, etc.)
Old 10-03-16, 08:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: DVD Finds at Charity Shops etc.

Iirc, there is a fairly recent thrift shop finds thread.
Old 10-05-16, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I've picked up a number of mail-order-only DVDs at Goodwills around here, such as Carol Burnett and the Dean Martin Variety Show (all still sealed and under $5 each.) I got really lucky and got a sealed Blu-Ray of the out of print My Bloody Valentine (original version, not the remake) for $5 also.
Old 10-08-16, 06:19 PM

I guess one could include flea markets and pawn shop type stores like Cash Converters as well as local mom and pop pawn shops. I have found the DVD movies and TV set series decreasing in price as the streaming and downloading gains a bigger share of entertainment market share. The Goodwill stores in my area are not of the discount bin type so I don't have a clue as to what DVD movies and TV set series would cost by the pound.

In regards to flea markets and cash converter type pawn shops, most DVD movie prices for previously viewed are inching down from $1.00 to $.75 and even $.50. Whereas TV series use to command at least $8.00 to $10.00 are now in the $3.00 to $5.00 range. In spite of these lower prices, the Goodwill stores in my area are oblivious to the downward trend and are trying to sell DVD movies at the $2.00 to $3.00 range with TV series sets at the $8.00 to $10.00 range.

I did come across one fellow in the local flea market who clears out storage lockers in arrears, selling DVD movies and TV series sets all for 8 for $5.00 or $.63 each. I purchased six Buffet and 2 NCIS for $.63 a set. Now that was a bargain.

Last edited by smartalec44; 10-08-16 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Iirc, there is a fairly recent thrift shop finds thread.
I looked for one but couldn't find any on the first three pages of DVD Bargains going but the headers, would be happy to post there if someone can bump it.
Old 10-09-16, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I've picked up a number of mail-order-only DVDs at Goodwills around here, such as Carol Burnett and the Dean Martin Variety Show (all still sealed and under $5 each.) I got really lucky and got a sealed Blu-Ray of the out of print My Bloody Valentine (original version, not the remake) for $5 also.
That's interesting because in the past I've also run into still-sealed Dean Martin (roast) volumes and a sealed two-disc "bonus" Carol Burnett set. I guess several people sign up for these subscriptions and don't bother watching them or cancelling the sub immediately.
Old 10-09-16, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by smartalec44 View Post
... the Goodwill stores in my area are oblivious to the downward trend and are trying to sell DVD movies at the $2.00 to $3.00 range with TV series sets at the $8.00 to $10.00 range.
It took my local Goodwill forever to lower the price of their dvds from $ 5 to $2, oblivious to the fact that most of their donated dvds were from Walmart and cost about the price new - or worse were from Dollar Tree or $1 pd junk easily found in discount stores.
Old 10-10-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've gotten lucky a couple of times and found old Warner Archive DVDs at Goodwill. Last month picked up DARK OF THE SUN. I don't know if it's this way across the country, but all the Goodwill stores here have a 50% off sale every other Saturday.

Another place to peruse is the used bookstore of your local county or city library. Sometimes people donate movies. Sometimes DVDs get pulled from library circulation & are sold $1 each at my local library's used bookstore, including Criterions. Great deal if you don't mind the security stickers attached to the disc.
Old 10-12-16, 01:53 PM

I don't do Goodwill or pawn shops very often. But I haunt several Half-Price stores regularly. One is overpriced at $3 per for the cheapies, and other is at $2 per. Finds are rare, but it's worth a look if I'm in the area. Last weekend was their huge sale at the state fairgrounds. And while I didn't blow a gasket (like lots of people, with shopping carts literally heaped with DVDs), I did OK. For $2 a pop I got:

Seinfeld S5
Rockford S2
Mad Men S4
Brooklyn Nine Nine S2
Complete Weismueller Tarzan movies
Kenneth Clarke's Civilization
+ a few movies

There was a Half Price sale last summer where I did nicely with Region 2 shows, $2 a box:

Inspector Morse complete (2 boxes)
Cracker complete
Jonathan Creek complete

Last edited by drmar35mm; 10-13-16 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These type of outlets have mostly been pushed out of the more affluent suburban areas. I have to drive out to the boonies to even find a Goodwill shop carrying DVDs and media.
Old 07-31-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up at Goodwill Sunday the complete series set of Parks & Recreation for $14.99 + tax

Yesterday at Savers, I picked up Gravity & the steelbook of Zero Dark Thirty (Both BD/DVD combo, No DC) for $2.99 apiece minus 30% senior discount.
Old 07-31-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Earlier this year, I scooped up Ballykissangel: The Complete Collection (15 discs) in flawless condition for $6 at a local charity thrift shop. That's my bargain find of the year; it's going for $70 used at Amazon.
Old 07-31-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
These type of outlets have mostly been pushed out of the more affluent suburban areas. I have to drive out to the boonies to even find a Goodwill shop carrying DVDs and media.
Even those are hard to find anything good any more. I haven't scored a good DVD at a thrift shop in months. The shops themselves hold back anything worth any money and put it on eBay and anything else gets grabbed as soon as they open the doors each morning by the scalpers.

It's almost not worth the effort to try anymore, though I still find clothes at these places.
Old 08-09-19, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When I had my internet business, my main source of used film & music was pawn shops. I haven't been in 1 in over a year, I can only imagine how low priced the chains must be by now.