DD - Up to 64% off Sony Box Sets

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DD - Up to 64% off Sony Box Sets

Old 04-25-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DD - Up to 64% off Sony Box Sets

Originally Posted by carnage6 View Post
No I'm afraid you are the one who is wrong since several posters claimed to have ordered AFTER I tried multiple times to place my order and still got the sale prices. So your argument makes no sense.

Oh and about the "bait & switch" thing. Here is a definition I looked up so YOU will understand it.
"In retail sales, a bait and switch is a form of fraud in which the party putting forth the fraud lures in customers by advertising a product or service at an unprofitably low price, then reveals to potential customers that the advertised good is not available but that a substitute is. This use of this term has extended to similar situations outside of the marketing sense."

PG
Even with the loose definition of "bait and switch" it doesn't apply here because the prices were good and items available for many days.
I'm not saying you don't have a complaint. I'm just saying this isn't it.

I was one of those that waited until the last minute. And I got lucky. I noticed some of the prices had gone up but the 2 items I wanted were still at the sale prices.
Old 04-26-10, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I'm afraid you are the one who is wrong since several posters claimed to have ordered AFTER I tried multiple times to place my order and still got the sale prices. So your argument makes no sense.

Oh and about the "bait & switch" thing. Here is a definition I looked up so YOU will understand it.
"In retail sales, a bait and switch is a form of fraud in which the party putting forth the fraud lures in customers by advertising a product or service at an unprofitably low price, then reveals to potential customers that the advertised good is not available but that a substitute is. This use of this term has extended to similar situations outside of the marketing sense."

PG
You need to try editing your post some more. You still have loads of wrong words in there. (expect no help from me in finding them, but some are words you've omitted) After you're through playing word games here you might try something constructive and pick up the phone and call DD's Customer Service during their business hours. Be sure to mention "bait & switch for the most favorable results to your complaint.
Old 04-26-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks to the OP and others for pointing out the complete Shield collection. Ordered that and received it about a week after ordering it even though it said not in stock when I ordered it. So, not too bad. I received the revised one. So, no scratched discs I already had all the individual sets minus the last season, but I'm selling them off on Amazon and already sold one of the seasons for almost $30
Old 04-26-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
Just tried to order the Herzog/Kinski box. Their "$10 offer page" you see before the confirmation isn't compatible with Firefox with No Script, so I can never tell if the order went through or not...
Sure it is... I use it all the time with DD (Adblock Plus too). When checking out I give DeepDiscount a "Temporary" permission via NoScript and click on the "No Thanks" line/button in the upper right on the offer page (does *anyone* actually take them up on that junk?) and then on the link which appears on the next page (I don't wait to see if the return resolver works, I just click). Back to confirmation I go... I then Revoke the Temporary permission given DD and am back to quicker browsing until I want to order, update my Wishlist (which is *still* a cumbersome piece of programming crap), or look at one of the "Featured Studio Stores" (AFAIK you can't get to those without enabling JAVA for DD).
Old 04-26-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
My order is "partially filled", but Odyssey 5 was cancelled. I never cancelled it.
I got mine OK. I hope you get yours! (Out of context, it sounds like I want you to get your comeuppance.)

Except for the fact that, you know, people who didn't wait until the last day actually got their stuff at the sale prices. I'm looking at half my order sitting on my dining table right now. Sometimes reality is more valuable than theory. Are you on the team responsible for shutting down air travel in Europe last week?
Oh and about the "bait & switch" thing. Here is a definition I looked up and I still don't understand it.
"In retail sales, a bait and switch is a form of fraud in which the party putting forth the fraud lures in customers by advertising a product or service at an unprofitably low price, then reveals to potential customers that the advertised good is not available but that a substitute is. "
Fixed and emphasized for clarity.
So what exactly constitues the "switch" part of your alleged "bait-and-switch" experience? Did they try to sell you "Designing Women: The Complete Series" instead of "The Shield: The Complete Series?"

Or maybe you were pointing to this:
This use of this term has extended to similar situations outside of the marketing sense.
If that's the case, your point is even more asinine. I honestly hope you weren't.
Old 04-26-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

My part one of Forever Knight had a Best Buy sticker under the shrink wrapping. Seems to be returned or used merchandise.
Old 04-26-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

I ordered Odyssey 5 together with two other non-sale items. Those two arrived, Odyssey 5 didn't. Waited a bit, then just checked the order status.

My order is "partially filled", but Odyssey 5 was cancelled. I never cancelled it. They did. Now I get to call them Monday to find out why. At least the order still shows the $10.xx sale price, so it wasn't a mis-price. Sigh.
Just had an interesting conversation with a CSR and I thought I'd share what I learned.

When I ordered Odyssey 5, it was OOS at the time. Apparently, PayPal only waits 3 days for an order to be filled, then it de-authorizes the payment amount. When DD got the title back in stock, they couldn't bill it, so the remaining item was cancelled. Yes, they sent me an email - I never read it. My fault.

The good news is that DD honored the original $10.xx sale price and billed it to my CC. It is enroute to me now.

I was unaware of the PayPal/OOS/Cancellation scenario until now. Maybe it's posted in a million other threads here, but it never popped up on MY radar until today. In the event that there's at least one other person out there who didn't know it - don't use PayPal if an item is OOS at DD and you really want it at the current price.
Old 04-26-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

How is 10pm EST the last minute? If they advertise it goes to the 19th that includes ALL of the 19th. If not, then put that info in the damn ad. Plus the page for the ad was still showing the sale prices. It changed back to normal price when you try to check out. Can anybody say bait & switch???
OK, don't wait until the last 2 hours!

BTW- bait and switch refers to the practice of advertising a product they know they don't have. But since there are pages of posts from people who got the sale price and the products advertised, you're SOL.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 04-26-10 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-26-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just had an interesting conversation with a CSR and I thought I'd share what I learned.

When I ordered Odyssey 5, it was OOS at the time. Apparently, PayPal only waits 3 days for an order to be filled, then it de-authorizes the payment amount. - don't use PayPal if an item is OOS at DD and you really want it at the current price.
Thanks for the info. This weekend I placed on order for an OOS item using Paypal. And I definitely want the sale price so I canceled that order and placed a new one with my CC.
Old 04-26-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts

^^^Yes, someone posted this in another thread somewhere... but it never hurts to repeat 'cause everyone doesn't read every DD thread.

Another possible "gotcha" is when using a "virtual CC" w/DD. I always use these online and set them up for specific vendors. I'd used one a couple of years ago and failed to extend the expiration date. I wasn't worried as there was about a month left and mistakenly thought by extending the expiration date it'd mess up the order (it apparently does not). The item was BO to the point the card expired. Item was automatically cancelled rather than DD *asking* if I wanted to use another card (like *every other* online vendor) or cancel. Mine did not have a happy ending. I contacted CS to explain the situation and they said in effect "tough" as the "sale had expired". Yeah, I was a bit irritated, but I learned to keep a more open expiration date when buying from DD.^
Old 04-26-10, 04:16 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Classic Films View Post
My part one of Forever Knight had a Best Buy sticker under the shrink wrapping. Seems to be returned or used merchandise.
It shouldn't be used; it's just return stock. It's pretty common - retailers return overordered items back to distributors, who send them out to discounters without cleaning up the old price tags.
Old 04-26-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mr Articulate View Post
Got the Norman Lear set and it too is cardboard sleeves... some discs have the rubber cement like glue, which I will try to clean off.
You might want to call Sony at 1-877-766-9496. They may replace them like they did The Shield & Dawson's Creek sets. I would not accept sets like that.
Old 04-26-10, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
I got mine OK. I hope you get yours! (Out of context, it sounds like I want you to get your comeuppance.)

Except for the fact that, you know, people who didn't wait until the last day actually got their stuff at the sale prices. I'm looking at half my order sitting on my dining table right now. Sometimes reality is more valuable than theory. Are you on the team responsible for shutting down air travel in Europe last week?Fixed and emphasized for clarity.
So what exactly constitues the "switch" part of your alleged "bait-and-switch" experience? Did they try to sell you "Designing Women: The Complete Series" instead of "The Shield: The Complete Series?"

Or maybe you were pointing to this:If that's the case, your point is even more asinine. I honestly hope you weren't.
I like how you try to use asinine to make yourself sound smart. I've made my point and if you can't see it then you are the one who is asinine. I'm done with this thread as it is obviously become an attempt to start a flame war. Mods should shut it down now seeing as the sale isn't valid anymore. If you want to continue this "mature discussion" you can PM me. Otherwise please spare everybody here your "wisdom".
Old 04-26-10, 11:08 PM

The mind boggles. Don't lower yourself, Cheato. It's too easy.