Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Was at the Rialto, California store; picked up "The Grave Dancers". I saw no other '8 Films To Die For', believe me I looked. So far this batch hasn't reached the San Bernardino store (which has better DVD inventory).

Welcome to the mad house, Journeyowns.
Old 10-07-10, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pretty happy to find this for $5 dollars the other day.

It's Alive Collection
Old 10-07-10, 03:12 AM

I decided to hit up a Big Lots in Tempe, AZ today (well, yesterday) and this store had a fantastic selection of DVDs. The Halloween display was out and had a lot of Universal and WB movies. What I bought:

Dazed and Confused/Fast Times at Ridgemont High Ultimate Party Collection 2-pack (in original cases): $6
Hellboy (2-disc Special Edition): $2.50
I Know What You Did Last Summer: $2.50
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer: $2.50
Land of the Dead (Unrated Director's Cut): $2.50

The Dazed/Ridgemont set was buried in the very back of a stacked cardboard display (middle row, dead center), and there were at least five other people looking through the DVDs. I'm surprised nobody else spotted this. It was the only one, and is the best find out of all the Big Lots trips I've made lately. I had Lethal Weapon and Lethal Weapon 2 Director's Cut in my hands, in original boxes for $5, but I put them back. There was also a lone copy of Swordfish for $5, but the disc was loose inside the box, which means scratched to hell. So, no dice on that one, either.
Old 10-07-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Reality Bites is a great movie.
It's certainly worth $3. I think I paid $5 for it back in the days of yore when I used to think $5 for a DVD was a good deal. Now it's hard to surpass $3 thanks to BL. I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them (Along Came Polly, Mystery Men, and Reality Bites) separately for $3 at BL in the past, but BL has the crazy notion that putting them into multi-packs for the same price is going to make them sell better. Even little old me with no marketing degree and only a mediocre brain can tell you they won't sell better that way unless they reduce the pack's price by $1 or $2 dollars.

I'm still thankful to BL because just about every other retailer has downsized their DVD section to only the latest releases (which are always overpriced) but BL still has at least as many movies as they did when they started. I heard that Best Buy (starting in CA) is reducing their DVD sections, Walmart, Sam's Club, and Borders have already reduced theirs. I haven't been to Costco for ages (not a member but I have an old card so I can go in and look once in a while), but I don't remember them having very much either. So I basically see Fry's and Big Lots as the last 2 sources of older movies (FYE still has a lot but they are too expensive for me).

I've got to go to Big Lots again before the 20% off coupon expires on Saturday, though I doubt there will be any new DVDs since I looked last week. I'll probably buy non-DVD stuff with the coupon.
Old 10-07-10, 09:39 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkPhantom13
I was pretty happy to find this for $5 dollars the other day.

It's Alive Collection
I know this was reported a while back but never could find it so am glad to see it's still being circulated. Anyone else run by the It's Alive Collection/Trilogy recently?
Old 10-07-10, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just received an e-mail saying 100 New Halloween Horror DVDs have just arrived (no date posted, but the link says 10/10/2010 - not being sure I think I may take a trip to Big Lots this afternoon), for $3/$5 each. Many appear to already been found but I think I saw some new titles on the list.

The LIST

On a side note, I hope to find the 'It's Alive' collection for five bucks at my local store.
Old 10-07-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Anyone else run by the It's Alive Collection/Trilogy recently?
I picked it up within the last couple of weeks.
Old 10-07-10, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
It's certainly worth $3. I think I paid $5 for it back in the days of yore when I used to think $5 for a DVD was a good deal. Now it's hard to surpass $3 thanks to BL. I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them (Along Came Polly, Mystery Men, and Reality Bites) separately for $3 at BL in the past, but BL has the crazy notion that putting them into multi-packs for the same price is going to make them sell better. Even little old me with no marketing degree and only a mediocre brain can tell you they won't sell better that way unless they reduce the pack's price by $1 or $2 dollars.
The Reality Bites/Along Came Polly/Mystery Men is actually the Universal Triple Feature with all three in the same case. 6 bucks for the three movies which I didn't think was bad. All are their own disc though and look to be the same discs from the regular versions. All are WS too.
Old 10-07-10, 12:55 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got It's Alive 2/3 flipper disc for $3.00 last month.
Old 10-07-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsfan2010
...The Dazed/Ridgemont set was buried in the very back of a stacked cardboard display (middle row, dead center), and there were at least five other people looking through the DVDs. I'm surprised nobody else spotted this. It was the only one, and is the best find out of all the Big Lots trips I've made lately...
You might want to look closely at that set before you open it. The ones here were *all* FS versions and both films have been released in anamorphic WS.
Old 10-07-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Manzana
...I heard that Best Buy (starting in CA) is reducing their DVD sections, Walmart, Sam's Club, and Borders have already reduced theirs...
I went to the local BB here (Mid-South area) and it's just been downsized. I was in the store about a month ago to pick up a TVonDVD sale selection so I knew just where that particular display was located. I ran in a couple of days ago to again pick up a TVonDVD sale selection to find the display was nowhere to be found and the selection was ~50% of what it was just a few weeks ago. Very sad... However, the WM stores here have actually increased the number of TVonDVD titles they carry. It's a *small* increase but it's an increase. But the film selection is pretty much a downsized selection of discounted "catalog" type titles and mostly very new releases.

I've purchased more DVDs from BL in the past year than all other vendors combined.
Old 10-07-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by supermike07
I just received an e-mail saying 100 New Halloween Horror DVDs have just arrived (no date posted, but the link says 10/10/2010 - not being sure I think I may take a trip to Big Lots this afternoon), for $3/$5 each. Many appear to already been found but I think I saw some new titles on the list.

The LIST

On a side note, I hope to find the 'It's Alive' collection for five bucks at my local store.
I noticed that list shows "Incubus" as a "new" $3 title. If that's what you're looking for check out those 3/$3 packs as "Incubus" is one of the titles included in some of those. It was packaged 4 different ways here.
Old 10-07-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bse
I got It's Alive 2/3 flipper disc for $3.00 last month.
I was wondering -- is the 1-3 combo pack the first one on a single-sided disc and 2/3 on a flipper --- like the individual releases.
Old 10-07-10, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My store had a restock of UFC dvds and picked up 2 copies of the Liddell/Couture Trilogy 4 disc set. If anyone needs one I have it for trade in the exchange forum.
Old 10-07-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just picked up

Trackman (Ghost House Underground)
Vinyan
Trade
Old 10-07-10, 07:06 PM

According to that list, "Men In Black" is now $5. I'm glad I bought it a couple months ago for $3.
Old 10-07-10, 09:31 PM

I'm cool with finding it in fullscreen mode at this price. I was at Blockbuster earlier, and they had these same exact movies in fullscreen mode for $9.99 apiece. Three bucks apiece is much better. Even the cardboard box has a flip-open cover with info about both movies. Blockbuster didn't have that. And it seems like most movies at Big Lots are in fullscreen mode anyway.
Old 10-07-10, 10:01 PM

*sigh* I just now noticed that i accidentally grabbed the single disc version of Starship Troopers today....Ugh now i have to return it and hope that the 2-disc versions are still there. BTW today i noticed that they have a new single disc version of Men In Black 2 that IS widescreen and includes a digital copy. The only other one i've seen is the 2-disc version that was unfortunately in Fullscreen only.
Old 10-07-10, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by newginafets
Vinyan
In my opinion Vinyan is gold, $3 is a steal. Highly recommended. One of my favorite recent movies. It has surreal horror drama.
Old 10-07-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
In my opinion Vinyan is gold, $3 is a steal. Highly recommended. One of my favorite recent movies. It has surreal horror drama.
I saw that last time I was in BL, but I thought I remembered hearing only bad reviews. It's not at my local Family Video to rent, so may pick it up next time I'm out there. Thanks (maybe )
Old 10-07-10, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
I saw that last time I was in BL, but I thought I remembered hearing only bad reviews. It's not at my local Family Video to rent, so may pick it up next time I'm out there. Thanks (maybe )
Let us know what you think... DVDtalk review gives it a "highly recommended."
Old 10-08-10, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by journeyowns
The Reality Bites/Along Came Polly/Mystery Men is actually the Universal Triple Feature with all three in the same case. 6 bucks for the three movies which I didn't think was bad. All are their own disc though and look to be the same discs from the regular versions. All are WS too.
I didn't know that. I had assumed it was $9 as practically every multi-pack I've picked up at BL is $3 per movie in the pack. I guess there are some exceptions and perhaps I should start looking at the multi-packs instead of shoving them aside and wishing they were in a separate bin. Of course I (almost) always have at least 1 movie in any multi-pack which usually ruins the deal.
Old 10-08-10, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by DarkPhantom13
*sigh* I just now noticed that i accidentally grabbed the single disc version of Starship Troopers today....Ugh now i have to return it and hope that the 2-disc versions are still there. BTW today i noticed that they have a new single disc version of Men In Black 2 that IS widescreen and includes a digital copy. The only other one i've seen is the 2-disc version that was unfortunately in Fullscreen only.
I bought that MIB2 over the weekend. Digital copy expired in 2009.

On that list, I hope Gremlins, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind are WS and can find them.
Old 10-08-10, 01:52 PM
Suspended

Went to 3 Big Lots today, hoping to find Its Alive. But nothing, have 3 more stores that are close, and 2 a bit farther.

Got
MIB
Dreamcatcher
Wishmaster 4- cant watch it, still need part 3
White Noise
White Noise 2
The 6th Day

austin
Old 10-08-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticeda whole bunch of old UFC PPVs on DVD at BL for about 3 bucks so if you guys and gals are into that kind of stuff, they have it starting from UFC 46 I believe up to the UFC 60 series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.