DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Warner Archive sales

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Warner Archive sales

Placed one order:

Urgh! A Music War (replacement for the copy I loaned out a year ago)
Marlowe
Hollywood Party
Don't Be Afraid of the dark
Northwest Passage.

I ordered Dark of the Sun the week it was released. It's one of my faves.
Old 11-27-11, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never even bothered, as WB neglected to send me an e-mail notification of the BF sale {hmmmmpfff!}.
Was this yet another of their 5-for-50 sales on "Select" titles? I'm not liking that particular trend...
Old 11-27-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

It's on every title- including new releases- as long as they are single discs.
Old 11-27-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark
She
The Outfit
Legends Of The Superheroes
Killer Party

I had my heart set on Carny until I saw the trailer for Killer Party.
Old 11-27-11, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickactual
I never even bothered, as WB neglected to send me an e-mail notification of the BF sale {hmmmmpfff!}.
Was this yet another of their 5-for-50 sales on "Select" titles? I'm not liking that particular trend...
Usually their sales include all the single disk titles except some of the most recent ones. This one seems to include all of them, however. They do have genre sales which involve sale prices on particular types of films (horror/sci fi for example), but those tend to be less of a sale than the across-the-board sales like this one..
Old 11-27-11, 07:40 PM

Grabbed a few things Ive had my eye on, thanks for the sale info!

Legends of the Superheroes
The Phantom Tollbooth
Dark of the Sun
Hit Man
Night of the Lepus
Old 11-27-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know how to remove a $5 off coupon from Wbshop? I tried one to see if it would stack with the sale and now all items are at full price with no apparent way to remove the $5 coupon so I can get the 5 for $50 deal.
Old 11-27-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
Anyone know how to remove a $5 off coupon from Wbshop? I tried one to see if it would stack with the sale and now all items are at full price with no apparent way to remove the $5 coupon so I can get the 5 for $50 deal.
Have you tried clearing your cookies?
Old 11-27-11, 08:43 PM

I had the same problem. As I recall the solution that worked for me was a combination of deleting all items from my cart, clearing my cache, deleting cookies and logging out and then logging back in.
Old 11-27-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First Order
The Constant Nymph
The Phantom of Hollywood
The Burning Hills
The Catered Affair
Safe In Hell

Second Order
The Fox
It Started With A Kiss
The Gazebo
Get Yourself A College Girl
The Outfit
Don Juan (1926)
Story Of Three Loves
Black Zoo
The Legend of Lylah Clare
The Carey Treatment
Night School
Night Watch
No Blade of Grass
The Pack
The Traveling Executioner
Romance Of Rosy Ridge
Northwest Passage
Death Of A Scoundrel
Kona Coast
7 Faces Of Dr Lao
Old 11-29-11, 09:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

25% off select Multi-disc sets and free ground shipping.
Old 11-29-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may have to bite on the Falcon set now. I doubt it's going to get any cheaper with free shipping.
Old 11-29-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even though I already over did it with the movies, I would have been mighty tempted to get off another order if Daktari had been included. Thankfully, it isn't.
Old 11-29-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I already bought too much from Black Friday sales, but I couldn't resist getting Medical Center: The Complete First Season. WBshop so rarely has sales on its multidisc sets with free shipping.

The sale has been extended through today, BTW.
Old 11-29-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Picked up the Falcon and the Saint sets.
Old 11-29-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great haul, Paul! We certainly have a lot of the same tastes in film as art and as fun. GET YOURSELF A COLLEGE GIRL is one of my favorite winter films. Nancy Sinatra and Stan Getz in the same movie!
Old 11-29-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With the exception of Don Juan, which finally replaces a beloved LD, all of those are blind buys. There are bound to be a few that won't click with me, but the excitement of discovering something new that does, like Kongo did, is a powerful motivator to over indulge.
College Girl sounds like fun. One of the things I enjoy about these sales, and what I used to love about the old DDD sales, is the ability to grab a broad spectrum of material all at once. Now, to just find the time to enjoy it all...

And thanks (or, rather- Damn You!) for mentioning Black Moon. I ended up ordering that too after all, along with Burn Witch, Burn, from DD for a few bucks less than either WB or Amazon. Very eager to finally see both of those.
Old 11-29-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Picked up the Falcon and the Saint sets.
I didn't pick up the Saint series as the nifty French box set does me just fine. But I caved on the Falcon, despite owning two of the films on UK DVD.
Old 11-29-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Saint and Falcon are also on my list for a future sale.

BTW-was delighted to find a good copy of Brian Aherne's long OoP "A Dreadful Man" for sale cheap back in October. From what I understand it's not as good as Sanders own autobiography, but I was happy to run across it all the same.
Old 11-30-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
BTW-was delighted to find a good copy of Brian Aherne's long OoP "A Dreadful Man" for sale cheap back in October. From what I understand it's not as good as Sanders own autobiography, but I was happy to run across it all the same.
Hah! I was just looking these up yesterday. I still have the paperback of A Dreadful Man I found in a thrift shop twenty years ago. After reading it, I've always kept my eye out for a copy of Sanders' autobiography that wouldn't require a mortgage to purchase.
Old 11-30-11, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Paul, if you can, please be sure to report back or send me a PM with your impressions of BLACK MOON, COLLEGE GIRL and others that were blind buys. It's always cool to hear how virtually unknown choices pan out. But I know you got some great stuff, so enjoy.
Old 11-30-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure thing.
Speaking of Brian Aherne, I just watched The Swan last night in which he has a good supporting role. I picked this up in last years BF sale, and had never seen it before. I get the impression that this is thought of as one of Grace Kelly's lesser vehicles, but for me it hit on every cylinder. Honestly funny comedy of manners with Kelly being groomed to be married off to future king Alec Guiness, with Louis Jordan's commoner/tutor throwing in a kink. The casting across the board was excellent with Guiness especially being a standout. Watching how charming, and fleet, he is here with comedy it's easy to understand his annoyance at only being known for Star Wars. Good part for Kelly too- tailor made for the ice princess vibe she projected though it's actually the third remake of the material- the first stretching back to the silents. Ironically, this near 60 year old film felt utterly refreshing because- unlike the typical modern take on this kind of material, it didn't stack the deck in terms of making Guiness' Prince a big catch with a fatal flaw. Also the ending to me was absolutely note perfect. Thanks to the elegant scripting and skill of the performers, the low key ending really packed a whallop.
Spoiler:
Although, in retrospect the ending is perfect precisely because the character wasn't dumbed down for a formulaic resolution.

My only disappointment came from the limitations of the standard def format. This looks to be a 2.55 AR and would significantly benefit from a Bd upgrade. A big shame it will never get one. Nevertheless, highly recommended when the next sale comes around.
Old 12-01-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Andy Hardy Volume 1 is up at the archive. Six films for $60. Free Shipping.
First 400 sets sold autographed by Mickey Rooney.

http://www.wbshop.com/Andy-Hardy-Col...,pd.html?cgid=

From the WBshop website.

* Andy Hardy Collection: Volume 1 autographed by Mickey Rooney! Limit 1 per customer. Only 400 copies available. Discounts are not valid on this product.

Andy Hardy, the original teen supreme, comes careening to your screen in the first of a series of collections! MGM’s 1937 adaptation of Aurania Rouverol’s play Skidding, A Family Affair, proved such a stunning success that production commenced on a series inspired by it almost immediately. Carrying over three of A Family Affair’s cast members (Mickey Rooney as Andy Hardy, Cecilia Parker as sister Marian, and Sara Haden as Aunt Milly), the Hardy series was launched in 1937 with You’re Only Young Once and the addition of Lewis Stone (Judge Hardy), Fay Holden (Mrs. Hardy) and Ann Rutherford (Polly Benedict). It was not long before Rooney’s boundless energy and talent stole the show (and the hearts of teenage girls all over the USA), and Andy Hardy took over the series. Not that anyone minded!

This collection features a sextet of sensational picks from the Hardy series, none of which have ever been available on DVD, some not available in any format. Each film comes packaged in its own DVD case, complete with artwork based on the original posters. Each film has either been newly remastered, or digitally upgraded from a recent progressive master source, specifically for this new DVD release. All best-available film elements have been used in the creation of this collection, and athough none of these films have been 'fully restored', the result is a distinct improvement in quality for each picture, and the first new work done to any of these films in over 20 years.

You’re Only Young Once (1937) On vacation with his family on California’s Catalina Island, Andy Hardy falls head over swim fins for a sophisticated young beauty (Eleanor Lynn). Judge Hardy warns his son that she is too fast for him.

Out West with the Hardys (1938) The Hardys out west! While Judge Hardy gets into a legal wrangle to save an old friend’s ranch, Andy tries to turn a bronco into a jalopy and Marian tries to lasso herself a cowpoke.

Judge Hardy and Son (1939) Tasked by Judge Hardy with locating the estranged daughter of an elderly immigrant couple, Andy Hardy finds himself juggling four different girls when his mother falls seriously ill. With Maria Ouspenskaya.

Andy Hardy Meets Debutante (1940) When Andy falls for the picture of a glamorous debutante (Diana Lewis) he tags along with Judge Hardy’s crusade to save a NYC orphanage in hopes of meeting her. Lucky for Andy he has gal pal Betsy Booth (Judy Garland) around to help out.

Andy Hardy's Private Secretary (1941) All set to graduate from high school and Andy flunks his English exam – in spite of the fact that the Judge has gone to all the trouble of getting him his very own private secretary (captivating Kathryn Grayson in her screen debut).

Life Begins for Andy Hardy (1941) After graduating from high school, Andy heads for New York, giddy with visions of high finance, chic women and posh nightclubs. But the big city is tough on a small-town boy. With Judy Garland in her final appearance as Betsy Booth.

Last edited by Classic Films; 12-01-11 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 04:40 PM

Been waiting a long time for this! And Mickey is the true definition of a "living legend". Really the only A-list male star from the 1930s who is still alive. Here's an interview with him about the set (and you'll have to excuse the interviewer- one of the most annoying guys I've ever listened to. Doesn't let Mickey finish a single sentence.)
http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbol/us/dd..._Interview.mp3
Old 12-01-11, 05:16 PM
Cool New Member

Having problems loading the podcast but nearly ALL the WA interviews are with George Feltenstein. And it's G-E-O-R-G-E who we can thank for ALL the WA releases. He is the guy who gets them to restore and issue these things. Not the greatest voice, I'll admit, but George is OUR friend!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.