DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Originally Posted by Gobear
If you want to watch it before you buy, Downhill Racer will be on TCM tomorrow night at 6 pm EST.
Perfect timing. Thanks, Gobear.
Old 11-20-09, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
You won't be able to get it during this sale. Paris, Texas isn't released until January 26.
Exactly...which is why I was asking if anyone had tried a coupon on a pre-order.
Old 11-20-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougb222
The Manassas store had DVD and BD of The Third Man last night if anyone's interested (I've got the DVD and not going BD any time soon).
I am getting the impression The Third Man DVD won't be a highly sought after Criterion. I've seen them all over Austin stores. The BD though, not once have i seen it. So maybe that's going command the big bucks eventually? I've seen Ran several times too.
Old 11-20-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't use all the coupons at the same time
Old 11-20-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
So, there weren't any BD copies of "For All Mankind" available locally and I was planning on special ordering and doing an in-store pickup, but the clerk told me going that route would void the 50% sale discount - is that actually true?
Really? That is the one BD I have seen in quantities at every store I have visited. I have yet to see a store that does not have at least 3 of these.
Old 11-20-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got The Last Metro BD, The Last Emperor BD, and For All Mankind BD today for $15 plus tax each in two different B&N stores in MD. All blind buys.
Old 11-21-09, 12:28 AM

Got The Last Metro BD and In the Realm OTS BD today at 86th St in NYC, but couldn't find a copy of Wings of Desire BD at any store. If anyone can clue me where to get it in NYC before Sunday, it would be greatly appreciated.

With the 25% coupon which is reusuable (but usually only once with the same cashier) I'm now twice over budget. Have been paying with cash so the SO doesn't freak when the credit card bill arrives.
Old 11-21-09, 12:41 AM

Picked up The Beales of Grey Gardens for $7.49 wth the 25% coupon. Thanks!
Old 11-21-09, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad
So, there weren't any BD copies of "For All Mankind" available locally and I was planning on special ordering and doing an in-store pickup, but the clerk told me going that route would void the 50% sale discount - is that actually true?

Also, does the current $10 and over free shipping promotion for members apply when placing an order in the store and having it shipped? I brought it up and she had absolutely no clue what I was talking about.
Sounds like you found a clueless employee. Ordering at the store should not void the sale. In fact at different stores I had employees who noticed I was browsing the Criterion inventory go out of their way to tell me if I couldn't find what I wanted they could order it for me at the current sale price. I did a ship to home order a week ago from a B&N store and received the 50% discount when I paid. I also was allowed to use both of the $5 coupons.

Also before I placed the ship to home order I asked the gentleman helping me about any shipping charges. At first he said there was a $3 charge to ship a DVD to my home address. I then mentioned the $10 free shipping promotion available online for members and if it applied to ship to home orders. At first he seemed confused, but checked and said shipping was free on the DVD I was ordering. However I decided to add another DVD to the order.
Old 11-21-09, 01:55 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I am getting the impression The Third Man DVD won't be a highly sought after Criterion. I've seen them all over Austin stores. The BD though, not once have i seen it. So maybe that's going command the big bucks eventually? I've seen Ran several times too.
I nabbed a Third Man blu-ray with the new case at the Arboretum location. I figured it'd be cheaper to buy this now and sell my old copy instead of buying a new case from Criterion.

Bought WR: Mysteries of the Organism today and hopefully I'm done now...
Old 11-21-09, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

quick question. how big are the coupons when you print them out? I just want everything to go right. I know it shouldn't technically make a difference, but I wanna use the coupons with the least amount of attention being drawn too them.
Old 11-21-09, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The default settings for the 25% coupons print out full letter size (huge) on my printer. I usually set the 5$ off $20 ones to print at 5 x 7 with shrink to fit so nothing is cropped off.
The size isn't too important as these have been pretty conspicuously used and most cashiers know about them.
Old 11-21-09, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Herzog4Life
I nabbed a Third Man blu-ray with the new case at the Arboretum location. I figured it'd be cheaper to buy this now and sell my old copy instead of buying a new case from Criterion.

Bought WR: Mysteries of the Organism today and hopefully I'm done now...
How is the selection right now? I was thinking of running over there today when I am in the area. Any box sets left?
Old 11-21-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Sounds like you found a clueless employee. Ordering at the store should not void the sale. In fact at different stores I had employees who noticed I was browsing the Criterion inventory go out of their way to tell me if I couldn't find what I wanted they could order it for me at the current sale price. I did a ship to home order a week ago from a B&N store and received the 50% discount when I paid. I also was allowed to use both of the $5 coupons.

Also before I placed the ship to home order I asked the gentleman helping me about any shipping charges. At first he said there was a $3 charge to ship a DVD to my home address. I then mentioned the $10 free shipping promotion available online for members and if it applied to ship to home orders. At first he seemed confused, but checked and said shipping was free on the DVD I was ordering. However I decided to add another DVD to the order.
Thanks. I was fairly certain she was clueless on both counts. The funny thing was she said the 50% was voided only if I picked it up in-store, but it still applied if shipped. And oddly enough she was willing to apply the $5 coupon on the ship-to-home order so I went ahead with it despite the additional shipping charge. I'm planning on going back today anyway and will attempt to get the $2.98 refunded by bringing a printed copy of this which clearly states 'This offer is valid on ship-to-home orders placed in Barnes and Noble retail stores'.

I'm just astounded at not only how many of these clerks are completely oblivious to these offers, but how they automatically jump to the conclusion that I'm the clueless one without even attempting to do any sort of research.
Old 11-21-09, 02:47 PM

Picked up Kagemusha BD and Wages of Fear BD, which means I think I have all the BD I want. I might try to grab Marienbad and 400 Blows before the weekend is over, but no rush. I've picked up 14 BDs during this sale. I might go for the Postwar Kurosawa set because I know of one store that has it.
Old 11-21-09, 06:13 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks to whoever pointed out Downhill Racer was on TCM tonight, watching now. pretty good so far, but not something i need to have on my shelf.
Old 11-21-09, 07:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

Alas, my collector-gene kicked in on Christmas CDs this sale. $3 to $6 per CD was too low to resist, and I've picked up another 20 or so for my November through December holiday music marathons.
Old 11-21-09, 08:38 PM

Well I visited the Aboretum BN and found several box sets I could have used the 25% coupon with for maximum value. Went with Monsters and Madmen. I actually went in there thinking I'd buy the Jean Renoir set. Of course Berlin Alexanderplatz is probably at the only price I would consider it right now and I was tempted. I really like the Fassbinder set I already have.

if I can get Gomorrah at 50% off I'll do it, but otherwise I think I am done. no really, done. REALLY!
Old 11-21-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found Last Emperor 4-Disc and Seven Samurai 3-Disc, both on DVD, today. Cashier let me use the 25% off and the $5 off coupons.
Old 11-21-09, 09:58 PM

I have been twice now and had two different cashiers with no problems at all. They have let me use all the $5 off coupons and the 25% off in one transaction. No problems. They were even kind enough to make sure they used the 25% off coupon on an Eclipse set with a $60 MSRP so that I got the most out of my coupons. I don't know if it really matters but I am usually just extra nice and talkative and just politely ask them if I can use these new coupons I got for recently becoming a member. I work in retail and the one thing I hate more than anything from customers is their sense of entitlement...as if I owe them something.

Another thing of interest was that on the second visit [yesterday] the clerk told me that the sale is going on for awhile..."to either the day before Christmas or the day after" Well, I highly doubt that is the case but....
Old 11-22-09, 01:01 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Is Empire of Passion worth a blind buy (I haven't seen In the Realm of the Senses either)?

So far have picked up:

Videodrome
Haxan
Vampyr
Carnival of Souls
Empire of Passion

No luck stacking coupons for me (in the Austin, TX area).
Old 11-22-09, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVDHound
Got The Last Metro BD and In the Realm OTS BD today at 86th St in NYC, but couldn't find a copy of Wings of Desire BD at any store. If anyone can clue me where to get it in NYC before Sunday, it would be greatly appreciated.

With the 25% coupon which is reusuable (but usually only once with the same cashier) I'm now twice over budget. Have been paying with cash so the SO doesn't freak when the credit card bill arrives.
I saw a bunch of copies of Wings of Desire at the Union Sq location but this was the week of release and before the sale started so I don't know how many they have now.
Old 11-22-09, 07:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
thanks to whoever pointed out Downhill Racer was on TCM tonight, watching now. pretty good so far, but not something i need to have on my shelf.
This is how Criterion is hyping Downhill Racer:

With its thrilling cinematography, kinetic editing, and charismatic star performance from Robert Redford, Michael Ritchie’s Downhill Racer is one of cinema's most critically acclaimed examinations of the life of an athlete, one that Roger Ebert called “the best movie ever made about sports.” Not that audiences noticed at the time: this masterly look at competitive skiing was perhaps too uncompromising in its depiction of the lengths to which an athlete must go to be the best, and too artful in its sensibility, to connect at the box office in 1969.
Ah, no. It missed the mark when I saw it on the big screen then and it misses the mark now. This film couldn't make the list of the top 30 best films made about sports. I'm not saying it's a stinker, I'm saying this is a rental.
Old 11-22-09, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmonTwin
I work in retail and the one thing I hate more than anything from customers is their sense of entitlement...as if I owe them something.
I think we can agree that politeness goes both ways. I've been to stores/businesses where the staff acts like I just ruined their fun (they're either busy gabbing with each other or simply just don't want to be bothered) by showing up and wanting help or to simply make a purchase.

With that, the cashier was more than pleasant with me when I purchased my two blu Criterions, Wages of Fear and For all Mankind. I didn't try to do any stacking, just used the $5 coupon on one and the 25% on the other.
Old 11-22-09, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Is Empire of Passion worth a blind buy (I haven't seen In the Realm of the Senses either)?
As much as I enjoyed "In The Realm Of The Senses," I find that I personally enjoy "Empire Of Passion" much more. To sum it up quickly, "In The Realm Of The Senses" deals with obsession while "Empire Of Passion" is a ghost story. It's criminal, I think, that "Empire Of Passion" did not get a blu-ray release because the color palette in the film is magnificent. You'll probably get more replay value out of "Empire Of Passion."

CC

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.