Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Does anyone have any opinions on Europa?
Old 11-17-09, 08:33 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Does anyone have any opinions on Europa?
I love it ! Its a great flick with wonderful B/W photography.
Old 11-17-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rpruthee
I love it ! Its a great flick with wonderful B/W photography.
Damn....I guess I'm not done yet.
Old 11-17-09, 11:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Damn....I guess I'm not done yet.
I have seen this movie 3 times in 2 days. I missed lot of things the first time around.
Old 11-18-09, 03:26 AM

i finally got some criterions i had been wanting for a long time i missed the last sale so i couldn't miss this one

i got

slacker
the samurai trilogy
naked lunch
harakiri
videodrome
bicycle thieves

and now i am very happy
Old 11-18-09, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can someone please sum up the current coupons and discounts for Barnes & Nobles.

I placed 2 orders late last week for titles and was going back to the well with the military site + the 20% coupon for around 12 titles (placed individually). That was the plan, but now when I go to the site, the initial discount isn't really 10% (military discount) and the 20% code doesn't seem to be working. I don't see a summary of the working codes, et al, so some assistance is appreciated.

BTW, ideally I don't want to spend even more money to buy a bn membership and I want to buy online.

Looking to get:

Last Days Of Disco
Friends Of Eddie Coyle
La Jetee/Sans Soleil
Blast Of Silence
Le Doulos
Le Deuxieme Souffle
Maitresse
Unfaithfully Yours
I Vitelloni
My Dinner With Andre
Kagemusha
Wages Of Fear
Old 11-18-09, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the military code is not 10% is 6% the AAA is 10%. there is a thread in this very forum. is all in there in the first page.
Old 11-18-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think there has def. been a pow-wow at BN B&M...went to the same store I went to just 6 days ago (picked up 8 titles with the $5 off coupon), to pick up a bunch of $29.99 titles and was denied, although they "made an exception" to allow me to purchase one title with the $5 off coupon.

Should have tried to get the same clerk who was there last week I suppose.
Old 11-18-09, 01:31 PM
X
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts

My store clamped down on using the $5 off $50 along with the $5 off each DVD. But the manager read the $5 off each DVD coupon and said it's fine to use one for each DVD purchased, just no coupon combining of different types of coupons. So an extra $1.25 per DVD from now on.
Old 11-18-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by X
My store clamped down on using the $5 off $50 along with the $5 off each DVD. But the manager read the $5 off each DVD coupon and said it's fine to use one for each DVD purchased, just no coupon combining of different types of coupons. So an extra $1.25 per DVD from now on.
The only way I've been able to use multiple coupons in the same transaction is if they were different. I learned (a bit late) that I could use both the 25% off and the $5. I've never been able to use more than one $5 off coupon since it states clearly on the coupon " Coupon may only be redeemed once per member". I've made multiple trips to multiple stores to max out their usage.

I thought I may have been flagged last night for using them too often, but it turned out to be a crease in the paper when it scanned that was causing the problem. Plan to pick up one or two more discs, return a few others that I changed my mind about, and put this sale out of my mind. With the coupons floating around for the DD sale, There are some big bargains over there on more things that I would probably want to watch sooner and more often than some of these.
Old 11-18-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My store yesterday wouldn't even let me use the $5 coupon on multiple titles. I only bought 1 title (Videodrome) and left my stack to buy another day (hopefully with another cashier, since I don't want to make 10 more trips)
Old 11-18-09, 02:12 PM
X
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I've never been able to use more than one $5 off coupon since it states clearly on the coupon " Coupon may only be redeemed once per member".
I was worried when the manager was reading the coupon very carefully. After all, this is a bookstore where people should have some reading comprehension ability, not Best Buy or something. But he said one per DVD was fine, they just wouldn't combine with the $5 off $50. So that appears to be the final word there. They were apologetic too.
Old 11-18-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
My store yesterday wouldn't even let me use the $5 coupon on multiple titles. I only bought 1 title (Videodrome) and left my stack to buy another day (hopefully with another cashier, since I don't want to make 10 more trips)
I had to do that today as well.
Old 11-18-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
The only way I've been able to use multiple coupons in the same transaction is if they were different. I learned (a bit late) that I could use both the 25% off and the $5. I've never been able to use more than one $5 off coupon since it states clearly on the coupon " Coupon may only be redeemed once per member". I've made multiple trips to multiple stores to max out their usage.

I thought I may have been flagged last night for using them too often, but it turned out to be a crease in the paper when it scanned that was causing the problem. Plan to pick up one or two more discs, return a few others that I changed my mind about, and put this sale out of my mind. With the coupons floating around for the DD sale, There are some big bargains over there on more things that I would probably want to watch sooner and more often than some of these.
See it seems like that would be so easy for them to implement, but I guess they haven't. The only time I wondered was when the third clerk said to me "you know you can only use this once?" and I had used it twice before. I hope it doesn't change for the next sale.
Old 11-18-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

If I don't end up returning the majority of what I purchased here, there will likely only be a couple things in the catalog I'm even interested in by the time the next sale starts.
I picked up a whole bunch of Criterions when DD had a B1G1 on these last year, that I still haven't made much of a dent in.

I was also thinking how likely it was that the DVDs in their line will undergo msrp reduction in the not too distant future- making the deals we a getting now seem much less impressive.

As enthusiasm starts to shift to Blu-ray (and player prices this Christmas are going to be a big contributor to this) amongst consumers, I don't think they can maintain the impression that a given DVD is worth as much as an equivalent Bd, despite the fact that most titles still won't have a commensurate Bd release. Plus we are talking about some editions that are getting very long in the tooth. I could be wrong, but I won't be surprised if/when it happens.
Old 11-18-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is criterion. I doubt it. I've never seen 1 MSRP get reduced on a criterion.
Old 11-18-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm probably in the minority, but there isnt really much left that I want to own in the Criterion library that I dont already own. Maybe three or so titles that I havent found locally.
Old 11-18-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jrsl76
Can someone please sum up the current coupons and discounts for Barnes & Noble?

I placed 2 orders late last week for titles and was going back to the well with the military site + the 20% coupon for around 12 titles (placed individually). That was the plan, but now when I go to the site, the initial discount isn't really 10% (military discount) and the 20% code doesn't seem to be working. I don't see a summary of the working codes, et al, so some assistance is appreciated.

BTW, ideally I don't want to spend even more money to buy a BN membership and I want to buy online.

Looking to get:

Last Days Of Disco
Friends Of Eddie Coyle
La Jetee/Sans Soleil
Blast Of Silence
Le Doulos
Le Deuxieme Souffle
Maitresse
Unfaithfully Yours
I Vitelloni
My Dinner With Andre
Kagemusha
Wages Of Fear
First of all, it helps to check-out this post daily. LASERMOVIES does Yeoman's work of keeping it up to date.

Second, online codes can only be used once, unlike in-store coupons, where it's a big YMMV.

Third, if you intend to do as much buying as you indicate, it might make sense for you to bite the bullet on the $25 membership. You'll get an additional 10% off of everything, plus you'll be eligible for additional coupons, not available to non-members.

Mine has payed for itself many times over. I got The Beatles in Mono box set for $150 on release week. Try matching that price anywhere then or now!
Old 11-18-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Clerks are getting wise. Shot down with the $5 coupon on the $29.99 Downhill Racer. But curiously enough she let me use it on a $39.99 disc which also isn't technically $20 after 50% discount.
Old 11-18-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jdpatri
...But curiously enough she let me use it on a $39.99 disc which also isn't technically $20 after 50% discount.
Yes it is.
Old 11-18-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
I'm probably in the minority, but there isnt really much left that I want to own in the Criterion library that I dont already own. Maybe three or so titles that I havent found locally.
Nope, look at my posts in this thread. Few bougth more than me during the first go around with this sale. This time, I've still only bought 2 movies.
Old 11-18-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I've reached that point with Blu-rays, although I'm still on the fence on whether or not to upgrade Kagemusha. There are some $29.99 DVDs (mostly noirs) that aren't available locally I might special order.
Old 11-18-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Outside of recent releases, I've only picked up one or two catalog flicks. The previous sale was, of course, another story.
Old 11-18-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well placed my orders and got:

Last Days Of Disco
Friends Of Eddie Coyle
La Jetee/Sans Soleil
Blast Of Silence
Le Doulos
Le Deuxieme Souffle
Maitresse
Unfaithfully Yours
I Vitelloni
My Dinner With Andre
Kagemusha
Wages Of Fear

There are a few more I kind of want, but I'm done for this sale. That was already way, way past what I intended.
Old 11-18-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what's the difference between Janus films and Criterion?

I'm sorry if this is not the proper place, but i notice some titles available for both release, but since Janus films are cheaper, so i bought the Janus films ones

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.