DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Originally Posted by biglou114
If only I could order The Golden Age of Television at 50% off.
Yeah, that's the one I most want also. Hopefully, they'll have another 50% off sale in the Spring, and we can get it then!
Old 11-16-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I bought a shit load the last 50% off sale, & so far that Eric Rohmer set was the single best blind-buy I bought. I absolutely love it for the price its at during this sale, I can't recommend it enough.
Old 11-16-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
The films in his Comedies & Proverbs cycle were amongst the first foreign films I ever watched in the mid eighties, back when I was consciously trying to broaden my horizons. I loved his work. Never seen these earlier films.
My viewing habits over the last 15 years or so have veered towards less challenging, lighter 'popcorn' stuff. I don't watch anywhere near the amount of foreign, subbed material that I did in the late 80's/early 90's.
So I wasn't too heartbroken when I missed the SMT set in that DD sale. In fact, I don't think I ever gave it a second thought. But now that I have the set in my hands, I'm looking forward to digging into it. May take a while though. Lot of backlog to get through (even more now after the haul from this sale).
Comedies and Proverbs would be cool for the CC to release. I've only seen one of those. It would make another nice set. Wonder if it's feasible or if they have any interest in doing it.
Old 11-16-09, 09:50 AM

Seeing that blu-ray Criterions are the same prices as standard, I think I'll finally break down and get a blu-ray player.

My television is a 40" Samsung LN40A550.

I'm not as concerned with Wi-Fi, Netflix, and a lot of other special features. I just want a player that has outstanding image and sound quality. Especially important to me is a player that does an excellent job of upconverting standard dvds.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-16-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dining Dead
Seeing that blu-ray Criterions are the same prices as standard, I think I'll finally break down and get a blu-ray player.

My television is a 40" Samsung LN40A550.

I'm not as concerned with Wi-Fi, Netflix, and a lot of other special features. I just want a player that has outstanding image and sound quality. Especially important to me is a player that does an excellent job of upconverting standard dvds.

Any suggestions?
Here's a good thread over in the HD Talk portion of the site that lists players and their capabilities:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/525...er-thread.html

For the price, you're going to hear a lot of pleased Blu-ray enthusiasts swearing by Panasonic's DMP-BD60.
Old 11-16-09, 10:17 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've made 2 online orders, but the last one I made left a bad taste in my mouth. I ordered the third man blu-ray and white dog (over $25 free shipping) - the third man said in stock ships in 24 hours, I then get an e-mail saying they could not complete all of my order and are only charging me for white dog (which is fine) BUT they added shipping costs on to the total and the order shipped before I could cancel it. I know its only a couple dollars, but I'm buying a dozen more criterions over the next week and would have just bundled this with something else for the free shipping. I thought it would be like amazon where when you select free shipping you get it, even if they split the order.
Old 11-16-09, 10:21 AM

quick question - i know there was something in this thread about ordering in-store to receive at home - essentially an online order using the membership/$5 coupons. does this work?
Old 11-16-09, 10:37 AM

oh nevermind - i searched the forum (duh) and one used reported this working so im going to try it. best sale ever.
Old 11-16-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WEEDEDOUT
quick question - i know there was something in this thread about ordering in-store to receive at home - essentially an online order using the membership/$5 coupons. does this work?
It's called a ship to home order. If a B&N store does not have a particular DVD title in stock they can order it for you and ship it to your home. You pay for the order and any applicable shipping charges at the store, and can use the $5 coupons. Shipping is free if your order is $10 or more and have a membership, otherwise it needs to be $25 or more.
Old 11-16-09, 10:43 AM

awesome -
Old 11-16-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Second order just placed for Downhill Racer and Eclipse 18: Makaveyev. Already scheduled to ship tomorrow, when my first order is due to arrive via UPS.

I don't plan on getting more from this sale. If another non-member coupon shows up before the sale ends, I may be sorely tempted though. Anyway, I'll keep browsing the thread; I like to see what everyone else is getting.

Thanks B&N and Criterion for this great sale once again. Hoping for a return engagement in the spring.

EDIT: Was just browsing amazon.com's site and saw this on the page for the Makaveyev Eclipse set:

"While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

"We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

Anyone know what this is about? I'm hoping it is not a defect with the discs themselves or their mastering, considering that I just ordered it.

Last edited by Superdaddy; 11-16-09 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-16-09, 11:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
I've made 2 online orders, but the last one I made left a bad taste in my mouth. I ordered the third man blu-ray and white dog (over $25 free shipping) - the third man said in stock ships in 24 hours, I then get an e-mail saying they could not complete all of my order and are only charging me for white dog (which is fine) BUT they added shipping costs on to the total and the order shipped before I could cancel it. I know its only a couple dollars, but I'm buying a dozen more criterions over the next week and would have just bundled this with something else for the free shipping. I thought it would be like amazon where when you select free shipping you get it, even if they split the order.
I bet they'd credit the shipping charges to you if you called or sent a polite email.
Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
It's called a ship to home order. If a B&N store does not have a particular DVD title in stock they can order it for you and ship it to your home. You pay for the order and any applicable shipping charges at the store, and can use the $5 coupons. Shipping is free if your order is $10 or more and have a membership, otherwise it needs to be $25 or more.
Good to know, as the pickings in the local stores are getting quite slim.

Are there any new Criterion releases tomorrow?
Old 11-16-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdaddy

EDIT: Was just browsing amazon.com's site and saw this on the page for the Makaveyev Eclipse set:

"While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

"We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

Anyone know what this is about? I'm hoping it is not a defect with the discs themselves or their mastering, considering that I just ordered it.
I wouldn't put much stock in that. Amazon puts up that message rather often. They had that same message up for the Taken Blu-ray and the very next day it was once again available to order directly from Amazon.
Old 11-16-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor

Are there any new Criterion releases tomorrow?
I'll probably grab Downhill Racer on my visit tomorrow.
Old 11-16-09, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I wouldn't put much stock in that. Amazon puts up that message rather often. They had that same message up for the Taken Blu-ray and the very next day it was once again available to order directly from Amazon.
They do use that when there is a possible problem on the Amazon side of the fence. Once I ordered a box of 12 boxes of crackers shortly after they started shipping grocery items. Instead they sent a single box of crackers. This happened with the replacement box as well. They then put up that message on the item until they figured out what the problem was on their end.

It's possible several people reported shipping damage or some other defect on that item, maybe a broken case or something.
Old 11-16-09, 12:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I noticed that the Blu-Rays in the store were typically the digipack versions, while the ones I received through on-line orders were all plastic cases (which I much prefer). Were there plastic-case versions of "Last Emperor" or "Last Metro"? Has Criterion abandoned the digipacks? --Peter
Old 11-16-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Snatched up copies of Viridiana, Z, Elevator to the Gallows, and A Canterbury Tale over the weekend. That might be it.
Old 11-16-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I might do the opposite and buy a bunch of stuff this week. Unfortunately, I only have one bn that accepts the $5 off coupon. So I might have to frequent it several times during this week. I think I've caught the Criterion buying bug!
Old 11-16-09, 02:54 PM
Cool New Member

Ive completed my buying for this sale. Thank goodness

John Cassavetes Five Films
Ingmar Bergman Four Masterworks
Seven Samurai 3 disc
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Dazed and Confused
The Last Metro
Kicking & Screaming
Lacombe, Lucien
The 400 Blows

The Cassavetes was a blind buy. Pretty excited to give them a viewing after hearing all of the positive reviews on this board. Too good of a deal using my membership and the 25% coupon to pass up.
Old 11-16-09, 04:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see...
For All Mankind BR
Seventh Seal BR
Wages of Fear BR
Repulsion BR
Pierrot Le Fou BR
400 Blows BR
Tunes of Glory
Simon of the Desert
Hobson's Choice
Magnificent Obsession
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
F for Fake
Jules & Jim
M
Videodrome
Dazed and Confused
Breathless
Cassavetes Box Set

Also, looking for Kagemusha and Wings of Desire on BR
Old 11-16-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
I noticed that the Blu-Rays in the store were typically the digipack versions, while the ones I received through on-line orders were all plastic cases (which I much prefer). Were there plastic-case versions of "Last Emperor" or "Last Metro"? Has Criterion abandoned the digipacks? --Peter
The only digipack to be reissued in a keep case is Third Man. The others are rumored to be under redesign and reissue for the future. Check Criterion's own website or the Criterion thread in the "HD TALK" Forum for updates.
Old 11-16-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What aggravates me is that "Benjamin Button" is in a standard Blu-ray case instead of the same kind that the rest of the Criterion Blu-rays are in.
Old 11-16-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got back from the Milford store with my last purchase(I'll check the website next Monday night for the pricing on Gomorrah) and was able to pick up 5 more titles with the $5 coupon applied to each one. The cashier wasn't keen on taking the coupons, but she did agree to do it one transaction at a time. Because of this, I wasn't able to toss in the $5 off of $50 coupon. However, I am glad that I was able to finish up my spree.
Old 11-16-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I just got back from the Milford store with my last purchase....was able to pick up 5 more titles with the $5 coupon applied to each one....glad that I was able to finish up my spree.
So what was your latest haul?
Old 11-16-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kory
What aggravates me is that "Benjamin Button" is in a standard Blu-ray case instead of the same kind that the rest of the Criterion Blu-rays are in.
Can't tell in the slip cover. Did they stop doing the slip cover?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.