Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Already bought Wages of Fear and Wings of Desire. I'm going to buy one more and it's between:

Breathless
M
Kagemusha
Army of Shadows
Playtime

However I am leaning more toward buying a Blu-ray and waiting for the titles I want on DVD to come to Blu-ray.
Old 11-11-09, 11:17 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Maybe I am paranoid I think they are onto me in Austin . . . Stopped at another BN and got Repulsion on Blu and they guy tried scanning the coupon, couldn't, so he typed it in. As he was typing it in he said "You know you can only use this once right?" He gave me the discount anyway. I don't know if there was an internal memo, mass email to other Austin BN stores from the joker who squashed my attempt yesterday, or something is showing up on my account.
I know what you mean, man. I'm in Austin too and got a lot of strange looks when I came with a stack of movies and coupons.
Old 11-11-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is the best way to get an additional discount on top of your member discount? I'm a new member, never purchased in store before.

One $5 coupon? Can you use both different $5 coupons? Any other in store printable member coupons that can be used in combination with the $5 coupons? Help me out, please. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-11-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
What is the best way to get an additional discount on top of your member discount? I'm a new member, never purchased in store before.

One $5 coupon? Can you use both different $5 coupons? Any other in store printable member coupons that can be used in combination with the $5 coupons? Help me out, please. Thanks in advance!
Some cashiers will let you use multiple $5 off of $20 coupons in the same transaction. If you get enough titles to reach $50, then they might also let you use the $5 off of $50 coupon. Here's the link to the in-store printable coupons-

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/...?r=1&PID=31811
Old 11-11-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Proglodite
The coupon worked for me this morning on the blu-rays; not sure why it didn't work yesterday for me. --Peter
Did you happen to use the AAA link yesterday with the coupon? There were several reports of problems using coupons and logging into the AAA web site yesterday.
Old 11-11-09, 11:42 AM

i could not use AAA yesterday - login kept failing
ill try again
Old 11-11-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Went three times, here's my final tally:

Round 1:
Dodeskaden
Ran
($5 coupon applied to both)

Round 2 (separate BN, applied 1 coupon):
Monsoon Wedding (BD)
The Third Man (BD, already own it, holding on to this)

Round 3 (original BN, applied one coupon, all BDs):
Complete Monterey Pop Festival
Howard's End
Pierrot le Fou
Playtime

I'm going to order Wings of Desire online at a later time, and get Gomorrah when that comes out. I was considering getting whatever else I don't have from Kurosawa but I figure it's best to wait for BDs next year since it's his 100th birthday next year. Ran is OOP and Dodeskaden just came out, so those should be safe for now.

Last edited by bluetoast; 11-11-09 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WEEDEDOUT
i could not use AAA yesterday - login kept failing
ill try again
I think it was a temporary glitch since it was working later in the day.
Old 11-11-09, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Not really a $1 filler, but there are several Paramount DVDs that are $3.99 -- Rosemary's Baby, Don't Look Now, Murder on the Orient Express, and a few others.
Thanks everyone for suggestions. Finally went to the advanced searched page and chose the "less than $10" option and got some book fillers under $1. However after thinking it about it, added Gervaise for $8.99 which means it cost me $3.99 + tax.

Total so far: $175

Total in July: $300

These Criterion sales are killing my wallet.
Old 11-11-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will the sale still be on when Gomorrah comes out?

If so, I think it would be 50% off now to pre-order just like Downhill Racer is.
Old 11-11-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Herzog4Life
I know what you mean, man. I'm in Austin too and got a lot of strange looks when I came with a stack of movies and coupons.
Did they do it for you? The Arboretum BN seems to have the best selection I've ever seen of Criterions in a brick and mortar.

EDIT: Oh I just found your lengthy list so I guess so.

Last edited by MBoyd; 11-11-09 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got Monsoon Wedding, Kagemusha, Pierrot le fou and Wings of Desire for $15.93 each with 3 day expedited shipping absolutely free. Being a non-member, i couldn't have asked for more.

Tips:
1. Use military URL - http://www.bn.com/military. When prompted later choose "Personal use". This will take 10% off and give you free 3 day expedited shipping
2. Create a brand new account. This is a pain but the coupon in next step requires it.
3. Enter coupon - F4B9F7R . Gives you 20%. Order 1 title per order for maximum benefit.

Enjoy
Old 11-11-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's hoping we get another 15% off code before the sale ends, I'd like to order one more box set online.
Old 11-11-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by punit
I got Monsoon Wedding, Kagemusha, Pierrot le fou and Wings of Desire for $15.93 each with 3 day expedited shipping absolutely free. Being a non-member, i couldn't have asked for more.

Tips:
1. Use military URL - http://www.bn.com/military. When prompted later choose "Personal use". This will take 10% off and give you free 3 day expedited shipping
2. Create a brand new account. This is a pain but the coupon in next step requires it.
3. Enter coupon - F4B9F7R . Gives you 20%. Order 1 title per order for maximum benefit.

Enjoy
This sounds like what I'm probably going to do for a couple of titles. I'm waiting to see if Amazon is going to match any more prices before I do because I have some credit stored up there. I'm loving these price wars!
Old 11-11-09, 01:34 PM

Damn! Just when I was about to pull the trigger and order The Third Man on Blu, it is now saying that it is unavailable.

I was just looking it at 20 minutes ago and it was in stock.

Last edited by clintilona; 11-11-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Of course now that the Blu-ray pricing is fixed online, Third Man is sold out.
Old 11-11-09, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Will the sale still be on when Gomorrah comes out?

If so, I think it would be 50% off now to pre-order just like Downhill Racer is.
They've been saying it should last two weeks, which would have it end at 3am on 11/24. That's how they did the sale last time, anyway.

Gomorrah is the last title I'm really gunning for as well, so I'm really hoping it all works out. This is exactly how I ordered Repulsion during the last sale, purchasing it between 12:00 and 3:00 am for the discounted price. I saw somebody saying they ordered it mid-sale for the sale price, but I distinctly remembering waiting on pins and needles to see if the price would drop in time to order it.
Old 11-11-09, 02:02 PM

Hey guys. Long time lurker here, who fancies taking advantage of this sale

Im a UK Criterion collector so was going to stick an order in online, not a member of B&N but was going to order a few Blu-Rays and then use to 20% off one item coupon.

Then I realised my parents are actually going to be in the US for the next 10 days, so decided to postpone my online order and ask for some advice here.

You think its work me simply ordering online, or should I get them to pick some up instore and bring them back? Obviously I will save on postage by doing this, but am unsure if it actually works out better- as I am not sure about the instore coupon policy, and the way adding tax to a purchase works!

They are arriving in Boston, spending a few days there (West Springfield, if I remembered that correctly) and are then heading to New York for 5 days. We dont have Barnes and Noble stores in the UK, but the impression I get is that these are a pretty big retailer? Should I ask my parents to nip into one of the stores, should it be fairly easy to come across one?
Old 11-11-09, 02:23 PM

So the $5-off-$20 coupon works on item with $17.99 net selling price after 50% sale and 10% member discounts are applied?
Old 11-11-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by iamjacks
Hey guys. Long time lurker here, who fancies taking advantage of this sale

Im a UK Criterion collector so was going to stick an order in online, not a member of B&N but was going to order a few Blu-Rays and then use to 20% off one item coupon.

Then I realised my parents are actually going to be in the US for the next 10 days, so decided to postpone my online order and ask for some advice here.

You think its work me simply ordering online, or should I get them to pick some up instore and bring them back? Obviously I will save on postage by doing this, but am unsure if it actually works out better- as I am not sure about the instore coupon policy, and the way adding tax to a purchase works!

They are arriving in Boston, spending a few days there (West Springfield, if I remembered that correctly) and are then heading to New York for 5 days. We dont have Barnes and Noble stores in the UK, but the impression I get is that these are a pretty big retailer? Should I ask my parents to nip into one of the stores, should it be fairly easy to come across one?
There are a number of BN stores in Boston, including a couple in high-traffic tourist areas: one on Newbury Street near the Filene's outlet and a much larger one in the Prudential Center shops/mall.

West Springfield isn't exactly Boston. It's further west than Worcester. You might check into some outlets there.

Last edited by Richard Malloy; 11-11-09 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No hassle at the Westport, CT store using the 5 dollar off coupon or even using it multiple times.

I picked up

Chungking Express
Pierrot le fou
Playtime
The Third Man

Each rang up like this on the receipt ...

Playtime (Br)

(1 @39.99) PROMO New Price
(1 @ 20.00) Member Card 10% (2.00)
(1 @ 18.00) MBR Item Cpn $ (5.00)
(1 @ 13.00)

Subtotal 13.00

With state tax = 13.78 each out the door. Works for me.

btw, Westport still had two The Third Man (Blu-ray) in stock after I left.
Old 11-11-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

Did Westport have any other copies of Pierrot le fou Blu-ray? Thanks.
Old 11-11-09, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by iamjacks

They are arriving in Boston, spending a few days there (West Springfield, if I remembered that correctly)
There is a BN store in Holyoke and if they are in staying in West Springfield they should be 5-10 minutes from this store depending on where they are staying exactly.
Old 11-11-09, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by cine
So the $5-off-$20 coupon works on item with $17.99 net selling price after 50% sale and 10% member discounts are applied?
In store, yes. Online, no.
Old 11-11-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
^

Did Westport have any other copies of Pierrot le fou Blu-ray? Thanks.
Yes. At least one. It wasn't with the others but it was on the big display facing the metal detector/entrance to the section. I was going back to grab it but didn't have to because there was another one in the Criterion sale section they set up. There were also Criterions still in the standard blu-ray section as well ... so the stuff is kinda spread out.

I'd call first and have them put it on hold if I were you.

Last edited by ctyankee; 11-11-09 at 03:51 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.