Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

At my store there is under ten Criterion Blu's in total. It seems like most stores have more than that. Anyway, The Third Man was there and that's what I really wanted since its OOP. Everything else can be had in future sales.
Old 11-11-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee

I'd call first and have them put it on hold if I were you.
But then I would have to try and pronounce Pierrot le fou. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-11-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
But then I would have to try and pronounce Pierrot le fou. Thanks for the info.
You should be able to reserve it online at your local store. I did that during the last sale on several OOP Criterions I wanted.
Old 11-11-09, 04:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

I have 7 items in my cart on B&N.com (decided to remove Complete Monterey Pop). All titles are 19.99, shipping is about $17 (to Canada), and tax is about $7.00. I used a coupon code for $5 off an order over $50 (tried to calculate if I'd save anything by splitting the order in two, but because of shipping, I'd only save $1 (IF I can even use the code twice... not sure)

A membership is out of the question since I'd only be saving $17 (membership is $25).

I want to complete the order... but I can't bring myself to click the button. What's wrong with me?
Old 11-11-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Of course now that the Blu-ray pricing is fixed online, Third Man is sold out.
That pisses me off, I waited when it was supposed to go on sale on Tuesday and now they mark it down at some random time and now I can't get it.
Old 11-11-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Of course now that the Blu-ray pricing is fixed online, Third Man is sold out.
ctyankee spotted a couple of copies this afternoon at the Westport store. If you decide to make the trip from Hartford, you should call and reserve it before leaving.
Old 11-11-09, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
There are a number of BN stores in Boston, including a couple in high-traffic tourist areas: one on Newbury Street near the Filene's outlet and a much larger one in the Prudential Center shops/mall.

West Springfield isn't exactly Boston. It's further west than Worcester. You might check into some outlets there.
Originally Posted by so it goes
There is a BN store in Holyoke and if they are in staying in West Springfield they should be 5-10 minutes from this store depending on where they are staying exactly.
Thanks a lot for the info guys. Prices in store will match the prices online wont they?
Old 11-11-09, 04:56 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Last time I was able to order Criterions that were online only, that the store did not carry. I was able to still use the coupon on those orders.

What I'm wondering, these coupons for $5 off a $10 CD, if I would also to be able to reuse these constantly like the $5 ones for the DVDs? Their online prices for CDs are like $5-$8 cheaper than their in store prices.If that's the case, I can order 2 Cds to get the free shipping on orders over $25 and end up paying like $7 for each CD. Anyone try this yet?
Old 11-11-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
No hassle at the Westport, CT store using the 5 dollar off coupon or even using it multiple times.

I picked up

The Third Man

btw, Westport still had two The Third Man (Blu-ray) in stock after I left.
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
ctyankee spotted a couple of copies this afternoon at the Westport store. If you decide to make the trip from Hartford, you should call and reserve it before leaving.
I am visiting family in Fairfield on Friday, so I put one on hold. I just need to make sure they have the keep case and not the stupid digipack....

ctyankee: Can you confirm keep case on remaining stock?

I do have a reserved keep case copy on hold at the Enfield store if Westport doesn't come through, but that is a hike I'd like to avoid.
Old 11-11-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dotstarss
Thanks a lot for the info guys. Prices in store will match the prices online wont they?
Yes. You might want your parents to sign you up for a B&N membership before they do any heavy buying. It's $25 USD, but you get an additional 10% off and are eligible to use the $5 off coupons.

A $40 title will end up costing $13 + sales tax.
Old 11-11-09, 05:27 PM

Too bad for Gomorrah. Pre orders for releases 11/23 and up are not eligible. This according to the recently emailed Criterion newsletter.
Old 11-11-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up:

- House of Games
- Ice Storm
- If....

$13 each + tax
Old 11-11-09, 05:55 PM

So many excellent Criterion's at my local B&N.

Many Kurosawa's
Videodrome
The Life Aquatic w/ Steve Zissou
Vampyr
The Third Man DVD & Blu-ray
Fear and Loathing
Dazed and Confused and many many more

I will be going back to pick up many, don't have my membership yet and need to print off those $5 coupons.
Old 11-11-09, 06:00 PM

Dang, tried a second B&N in a northern Denver suburb and not only was their selection pretty meager, they too were quite insistent that I couldn't use the coupons other than their stated one-time-only restriction. Still, got Marienbad and the Human Condition plus a CD, used 3 coupons, saved $15 extra. The $80 + $40 (MSRP) combo plus $5 coupon gets you to $48.99 as I think others may have noted, so be ready to toss in at least another $1.01 to add the $5 off $50 coupon. As a bonus, had to go by 2 different Big Lots to get to that store, and one of them had a rather massive new display of mostly the same old stuff.

Because I just haven't bought enough DVDs at discount lately.
Old 11-11-09, 06:01 PM

The Third Man BD just showed back up online as available. I picked up a copy today at my B&M, and, even though it is a little banged up, I don't want to go through the hassle of ordering online and then dealing with a return, coupon, etc.

Anyway, I hope some of you are able to get a copy after seeing this.

Last edited by CardiffGiant; 11-11-09 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Be glad you didn't buy Last Year at Marienbad. I despise that film.
I was excited to watch this film a while back, but when I saw this man I was very disappointed. I had no idea what was going on in this film. It's only like 90 minutes but it seemed far longer.

That pisses me off, I waited when it was supposed to go on sale on Tuesday and now they mark it down at some random time and now I can't get it.
I would just have the store order it and hope it comes before the 23rd. That's what I did with the Wings of Desire Bluray that was out of stock at the BN I frequent.

A membership is out of the question since I'd only be saving $17 (membership is $25).

I want to complete the order... but I can't bring myself to click the button. What's wrong with me?

They have another sale in Spring/Early Summer. Purchase a membership now and you can participate in both sales and save yourself more than $25. Who knows Criterion might release some films you like later on?
Old 11-11-09, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by hearing1
I want to know weather the audio quality depends upon the DVD or DVD player.suggest me if any.
Yes and yes.
Old 11-11-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts

Just placed my order:
Kagemusha (BD)
Harakiri
Rebel Samurai box set

After an organizational discount through my employer that basically cancels out the sales tax and the $5 off $50 coupon, it came to about $14 per title - an excellent value for a significant bolster to my samurai film collection.
Old 11-11-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelowry
Too bad for Gomorrah. Pre orders for releases 11/23 and up are not eligible. This according to the recently emailed Criterion newsletter.
I was planning to Netflix Gomorrah first anyway, but I had my heart set on acquiring The Golden Age of Television. Eh, well, I'm still catching up with the Criterions I've bought now and in the last sale.

Today: The Most Dangerous Game--a really good pre-Code suspense film (crazy Russian general hunts human prey on a remote island). With coupon, I got it for ~$8.
Old 11-11-09, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Slave2Blu
Not exactly the filler you are looking for but... If you have any interest in books you could do the BOGO coupon on BN Classics.

Not to hijack the thread, but where can we find this coupon?
Old 11-11-09, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by skidmark
Not to hijack the thread, but where can we find this coupon?
Same place as the other new member coupons, I can't post URLs. But check the OP on the Barnes and Noble coupons thread. Check the links under "Membership Purchase and Renewal Coupons - Valid only with the purchase or renewal of a B&N membership".
Old 11-11-09, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My B&N would only honor the $5 off $50 coupon and kept telling me that all of the other coupons "wouldn't scan". Pretty crappy.
Old 11-11-09, 08:10 PM

To anyone who took advantage of B&N's last 50% Criterion sale:

Do they restock in-store or just let them all sell until the end of the sale? I was really hoping to get Metropolitan and my local B&N didn't have it. Is there a chance they'll get it before the sale ends?

I was able to get Days of Heaven, 3 Women, and Stranger than Paradise tonight for $13 a piece. The lady who rang me up wasn't going to let me use the $5 off coupon at first. I then told her a small fib and said that they had let me do it before. At that, she called her manager and he said it was fine.

I really wanted to get Hoop Dreams but she wouldn't allow that since it rang up under $20. Oh, well...3 out of 4 isn't bad.
Old 11-11-09, 08:18 PM
Cool New Member

Got the Third Man on blu-ray today and was told they would not except anymore coupons at that store. Ouch.
Old 11-11-09, 08:20 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Did they do it for you? The Arboretum BN seems to have the best selection I've ever seen of Criterions in a brick and mortar.

EDIT: Oh I just found your lengthy list so I guess so.
Yeah the Arboretum is the location close to my apartment. They had so many eclipse sets there, I was pleased.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.