DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Old 07-24-09, 06:36 PM
Tap

Re: Big Lots Part 6

Originally Posted by grune View Post
Any more details on which Doctor Who DVDs those are? Considering two different Bakers have played the Doctor saying the Doctor after Baker could be Peter Davison or Sylvester Mccoy. I figure you mean Davison but I'm not certain.
Sorry, got the order of the Doctors mixed up. Meant Pertwee. Swung by on the way back. It's two copies of The Claws of Axos.
Old 07-24-09, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter View Post
I did not go to big lots, today. first time in many days. Rexxriot, happy birthday! I think you should ask for $10 sets, too, and leave a couple for me. I don't know what the deal is with Danvers, but if you can get in and find your way out, Lynn, MA had $3 stuff 2 days ago.

When you hover over the dvd's in the interactive ad online, it says that the $3 dvd sets are good starting on Saturday 7/25. Does Big Lots' ad cover saturday to saturday?
It would be nice to see some of the $10 sets, although the only one I want is Looney Tunes vol 6. In a way, I'm kinda glad I already own vol 1-5 because I think I'd go crazy looking for it. On the other hand, I paid around $190 for them, so if I managed to find one I'd think "damn, I could have saved $180..."

And I think Big Lots sale dates vary by store (or region maybe?). The Massachusetts stores say Saturday to Saturday, so I'm hopeful that the Danvers store will at least have something out tomorrow.
Old 07-24-09, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Svatch View Post
Went to the Derby(CT) store tonight....Quite a few Flinstone S2 Left (most wrapped)
A few Popeye V1...A number of the 9 dollar sets left on top. Some Joey too (4 left)
The set I'm looking to grab is Johnny Quest. With every stop at BL I have been buying some of the others gems (still no JQ) While you are there scenario I might as well buy that--and with what I added to my collection combined with what I paid --can't complain.
Maybe try not looking for it the next time I hit BL and it will be there.
They had a couple JQ on Tuesday. Everything was gone Wednesday though.

Been there 4 days this week. ::sigh::
Old 07-24-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter View Post
I did not go to big lots, today. first time in many days. Rexxriot, happy birthday! I think you should ask for $10 sets, too, and leave a couple for me. I don't know what the deal is with Danvers, but if you can get in and find your way out, Lynn, MA had $3 stuff 2 days ago.

When you hover over the dvd's in the interactive ad online, it says that the $3 dvd sets are good starting on Saturday 7/25. Does Big Lots' ad cover saturday to saturday?
Rexxriot Happy Birthday!!

Big Lots is all over the place with their shipments and sales the cashier told me the sale starts Saturday......But then I thought someone on here said the 26th?
Old 07-24-09, 06:57 PM

I have yet to see any of those $10 sets here in San Diego. Hopefully, I come across that elusive Looney Tunes Vol. 6 someday ... although I'd gladly pay full price for these classic toons ... and I probably will too ... lol.
Old 07-24-09, 07:01 PM
Cool New Member

Wow. Doctor Who for $3. This is BBC stuff distributed in the US by Warner Brothers. The BBC wants an arm, a leg & another arm for their DVDs.
$3 is a steal.

Which has led me to the following question? which DVD companies should we not buy from and wait/hope their product shows up at Big Lots?
Warner Brothers is obviously one. No need to rush out and buy their DVDs knowing that they could show up for $3.
Old 07-24-09, 07:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by theflicker View Post
They had a couple JQ on Tuesday. Everything was gone Wednesday though.

Been there 4 days this week. ::sigh::
...I always miss it by that much
...I give you credit, I don't know if I can take rt 34 four times within the same week(work in Cheshire/Hamden)

Good luck w/ your search.
Old 07-24-09, 07:37 PM

Great day at Big Lots for me today. Aston, PA location.

I bought,
Tales From The Crypt : Seasons 1-6
The Adventures Of Superman : Season 1

They had many Flintstones but mostly Seasons 1-3. Quite a few other Tales From The Crypt seasons. Lois and Clark Seasons 1-4. A few of those Hannah Barbera sets. I also saw many Volume 1 of Popeye. Not much else though.
Old 07-24-09, 07:42 PM

I understand why so many people would want that Looney Tunes 5 volume set. It's a great deal. But I saw them at Costco at Christmas time, and I was not impressed. I'm glad I have the individual sets instead, even though they cost me considerably more.

I'm also kinda glad that most of the sets people are very anxious to find are the ones I didn't need in the first place (Wonder Woman, Looney Tunes, Popeye, Super Friends, Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, Birdman) or wasn't interested in anyway.

I will be relieved when this WHV egg finally works its way through the retail snake. But will things return to normal, or is it a harbinger of the future?
Old 07-24-09, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Tucker View Post
I understand why so many people would want that Looney Tunes 5 volume set. It's a great deal. But I saw them at Costco at Christmas time, and I was not impressed. I'm glad I have the individual sets instead, even though they cost me considerably more.

I'm also kinda glad that most of the sets people are very anxious to find are the ones I didn't need in the first place (Wonder Woman, Looney Tunes, Popeye, Super Friends, Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, Birdman) or wasn't interested in anyway.

I will be relieved when this WHV egg finally works its way through the retail snake. But will things return to normal, or is it a harbinger of the future?
Isnt the 5 volume set just the individual volumes in a box? They still have their seperate cases like their single releases. So whats the difference between buying them individually or in this 5 set/
Old 07-24-09, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by yellahoosh View Post
Was this at Oakdale? Went to Prescott for the first time in a week today and it was tapped out. Thankfully it does appear that the $3 sets are held off til Sunday as they had zippo, otherwise I would've missed them while I was out of town!
I don't think Oakdale, Prescott or Turlock has put their new batch yet. Oakdale did have a bunch of new $6 sets today. Don't frequent the Modesto stores to often but was in the neighborhood.
Old 07-24-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could someone who purchased it please post the Big Lots SKU for the Looney Tunes GC 1-5? I've had success in the past emailing BL with the sku & asking if there were any within x miles of me; they require the sku to look it up in there system.
Old 07-24-09, 08:46 PM
Banned

Picked up two copies of Babylon 5: The Movie Collection 5-Disc Set for $6 each. Phoenix area
Old 07-24-09, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by FlamedLiquid View Post
Isnt the 5 volume set just the individual volumes in a box? They still have their seperate cases like their single releases. So whats the difference between buying them individually or in this 5 set?
Other than getting the case and the set of pins, nothing. I thought the packaging was too gimmicky for my tastes.
Old 07-24-09, 08:48 PM

If gimmicky saves me $50, I;m in.
Old 07-24-09, 08:52 PM

In the past week from 5 different Big Lots I have bought the following:

3 powerpuff girls ultimate collections (all 6 seasons)
2 Looney tunes collections 1-5
3 Batman and Superman Animated 2 packs
3 Batman animated season4
3 of each of the Tales from the crypt seasons 2-6
2 each of Adventures of superman vol. 1-6
2 each of Flintstones vol. 1-5
3 Top Cat
2 Huckleberry hound
2 Jonny Quest
5 Popeye
And to top it all off, today I found at my Big lots in Lorain OHIO Looney tunes vol. 6 marked at 3 Dollars!

Folks, I am not a reseller, a hoarder or whatever you people call it. I do know a good deal when I see it and I just bought xmas and birthday gifts for me and my wifes family for the next year! So to all you naysayers who say you should only buy one of each copy and leave the rest for everyone else....TO BAD! SHOULDA GOT THERE QUICKER! and ....TOUGH LUCK!

SEE YOU AT THE SALE TOMORROW BRIGHT AND EARLY!!
Old 07-24-09, 09:11 PM

Picked up a copy of that Roots collection today, but was disappointed to find that the packaging is terrible. The cases are just long cardboard pieces with slots in them for the double-sided discs, 3 or 4 of which were floaters and somewhat scratched up. And to top it off, I'm out of town this weekend, so by the time I get back I'm sure there won't be any copies to exchange it for. Anyone know a way to quickly test 20+ hours of DVD's to see if they're damaged enough that they freeze/skip? Probably not...
Old 07-24-09, 09:14 PM

Other than getting the case and the set of pins, nothing. I thought the packaging was too gimmicky for my tastes.
your complaining about an add-on? just simply dont shelf the box the volumes come in. You can take them out you know. And if you can get them cheaper in the 5 set than why complain?

I could understand if they put all the discs in a different casing..but since they're not......
Old 07-24-09, 09:15 PM

This is so full of awesome that it brought me out of retirement from my obsessive-compulsive-DVD-hunting ways. :P

My haul today from the Pensacola/Milton stores in Florida:

$3

Mission Hill Complete Series (saw plenty)
Lois & Clark 2, 3, 4 (already had 1) (saw a good bit of 2 and 3, only a few of 4 at one store; although I wasn't looking for it, I recall a few 1's, too)
Tracey Takes On... Season 1 (saw plenty)
Tales from the Crypt 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (plenty)
also a couple of movies:
The Fog (the original; saw a few at two stores)
Bad Education (only at one store as I recall)

$6

Scooby Doo, Where Are You? Season 3 (got the only one and it was a stray on another shelf not with the others at one store, which is why it was probably still there)

Saw a lot of Flintstones, Dukes of Hazzard, Joey, West Wing, Josie & the Pussycats, Wacky Races, Penelope Pitstop, Birdman and the Galaxy Trio, Pebbles & Bamm Bamm, Popeye, and Adventures of Superman. I'm sure that I'm forgetting some.

My holy grail right now is Veronica Mars. But I'd really like to come across Animaniacs and Thundercats, too.

Last edited by twa2; 07-24-09 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-24-09, 09:19 PM
Cool New Member

Funny thing the 7 BL I visted today all said they have no sale going on this weekend and they have no ad in store.They told me all ad come out wednesday.So I guess each state is differnt.I'm in Florida
Old 07-24-09, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by kingtopher View Post
Anyone know a way to quickly test 20+ hours of DVD's to see if they're damaged enough that they freeze/skip? Probably not...
Not advocating copying, but you may want to see if one of the ripping programs will read them properly. That is sometimes a good indication.

Yeah, what a mess that packaging is...as I said in another post, with that shit packaging that set should have listed at 10 bucks to start with.
Old 07-24-09, 09:24 PM
Cool New Member

Saw Jetson today but it was S1 D1 first 7 episodes only($3.00) I passed
Old 07-24-09, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by FlamedLiquid View Post
your complaining about an add-on? just simply dont shelf the box the volumes come in. You can take them out you know. And if you can get them cheaper in the 5 set than why complain?

I could understand if they put all the discs in a different casing..but since they're not......
And I don't begrudge anyone lucky enough to find it. It is an incredible bargain. But I don't need it since I already bought the sets new as they came out, and I didn't have a desire for the extras.
Old 07-24-09, 09:51 PM

And I don't begrudge anyone lucky enough to find it. It is an incredible bargain. But I don't need it since I already bought the sets new as they came out, and I didn't have a desire for the extras.
well, alrighty than. Yah, I normally buy volumes and seasons as they come out and get ticked at how much Id have saved when complete collections come out.
Old 07-24-09, 10:29 PM

Fort Smith, Arkansas report. I've been just about everyday for the past week. Went last mid week and got West Wing season 2, Dukes of Hazzard season 5 & 6, Night Court S1.

I did notice the Lakers set, a couple OC and of course about 20 Joey sets. I would've liked to have found the Dallas and Knots Landing sets, but none were at this store and none have been found since at this store. Same goes for the Wonder Women set.

As for the $3 sets. I asked on Tuesday about them and the nice worker did not know what I was talking about but went and asked the manager. She came back about 10 minutes later with Lois and Clark S1 & S3, as that was one I told her I was looking for. She said that's all they could find looking through the ad boxes quickly. I asked when they all would go out and she said on Saturday.

Well one not to trust everything told I went back on Wednesday evening and there was 3 carts full just thrown in there and rolled up near the registers. So I dug through and got the Flintstones S3, S4, S5, S6 and Murphy Brown S1. There was several other Hanna titles in the carts and Popeye and some batman stuff. No S2 or S4 of Lois and Clark. So I guess this store did not get any of those, which sucks.

I went back Thursday and Friday and the three carts are now just one cart full of the 3.00 stuff they have left. What is odd is one section of the regular dvd section is completely empty. Well I'll run back by tomorrow and hope the titles I'd still like will show up. This one store is the only one we have the next closest is an hour away.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.