Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

I'm going to buy $3000 to clear off the shelves of my local Big Lots. Then they'd HAVE to bring out new TV box sets, right? RIGHT?

I would, of course, return the DVDs later.
Old 07-27-09, 03:32 PM

Last Saturday, an employee at the Kettering, OH Big Lots told me that the Friday before, a customer bought $200 worth of DVD sets from the "back room".
Old 07-27-09, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by wvtechs
Karma is gay.
I had wondered why Karma had put his hand on my knee that time. Quite unsporting of the chap.
Old 07-27-09, 03:36 PM

Big Lots is obviously the root of all evil and bent on destroying DVDTalk by having the members kill one another in foaming hatred. I suspect devious Canadian mind control in some way....

I propose we gather our pool noodles and fight back on the field of battle, however beware the minefield of parking lot burritos.

Advance! Screw your courage to the sticking place! Cry havoc!

Originally Posted by Bose Pro
Why is there so much fighting going on on a Big Lots DVD thread?
Old 07-27-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wvtechs
Karma is gay.
That would explain Earl's mustache.
Old 07-27-09, 04:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

For the most part, when I've visited Big Lots, if there are others looking at DVD's they've been fairly courteous. They'll make room for others to look at stuff, etc. But not in Sanford, NC.

Two weeks ago when the news first broke about these sets my wife was visiting some friends and I had her stop in the Sanford store. Her and her friend were the only ones looking at DVD's, when suddenly two or three others rushed in, pushed themselves in front and began pawing through the discs.

This past weekend I visited the same store in Sanford. This was late Saturday afternoon...if there had been any serious restocking, it would have been in the morning. The DVD's are squeezed in the electronics aisle, so there's not a lot of room. When I walk in, there are two 20-something kids frantically pawing through stuff, and a young woman with a kid in a shopping cart. The kid was maybe two years old - just old enough to make a fuss. One of the 20-something's smacked the kid on the head, which only made it worse. Meanwhile, they're continuing to paw through the DVD's.

I high-tailed it out of there. Everything I hate about the South and rednecks was encapsulated in that little drama.

Peter
Old 07-27-09, 04:25 PM

Spotted KUNG FU season 3 ONLY

$3
Old 07-27-09, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anybody in the Dallas/Fort Worth area found any of the Tales From The Crypt seasons or the $10 sets?
Old 07-27-09, 04:33 PM

Lmao!

Originally Posted by dino88
that would explain earl's mustache.
Old 07-27-09, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bobwil54
Has anybody in the Dallas/Fort Worth area found any of the Tales From The Crypt seasons or the $10 sets?
Yes for TFTC, but in my experiences they have been cleared out at this point. What part of the Metroplex are you looking? No luck at all on the $10.
Old 07-27-09, 04:40 PM

there's some smaller towns in N.Texas, and Southern Oklahoma, that are FULL of SETS- not much $10 though
Old 07-27-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Just want to throw in a to the mods for helping to get this thread back on track.
Old 07-27-09, 04:46 PM
Cool New Member

i have been going to big lots everyday (sometimes twice) since last friday 7/17 to check if they received anything. Finally, one guy told me to check Weds cause that's when the shipment came in. I came, and there was nothing. Friday, someone tells me they received NO dvds and to better check next Weds. So I'm thinking I'm never going to enjoy this deal like all of you have. So I go today just to check it out. The DVD section was the same, but the electronics was stuffed. I ran to the front to grab a cart so i could fill up.

Batman TAS/Superman TAS Vol 1 (Few)
Batman TAS Vol 2 (Few), 4 (Last one)
The Flintstones (1-5) 3 and 5 were open (Dozen of 1 & 2 each)
Popeye (a dozen)
Josie & The Pussy Cats (Few Copies)
Pebbles and Bamm Bamm (Few copies)
Johnny Quest (1 of the last 2)
Wacky Races (Few)
Top Cat (Few)
Tales From the Crypt 1-6 (Few or last one)

They also had a bunch of everwood, war at home, hot wheels, and a few lois and clark, adventures of superman.

For the poster in Thomasville, GA, I'm from the Tallahasse location, so I would check with your store or if your desperate make the drive down to Florida.

No site of $10 sets. The area was totally filled so there doesn't like there would be any room for Looney Tunes, Roots, or the Superbowl Set. I'll keep looking for those.

I bought Tales from the Crypt 1-6 to trade with anyone on the board. I have no interest in the series but I'm sure someone here might. And I'd rather have someone here have them then a hoarder or ebayer. I'll post it in the exchange thread.
Old 07-27-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a few ?s (sorry if they have been answered already):

Are there any (complete) lists of the available/found $6/$3/$10 sets anywhere in these threads or can anyone provide one? Particularly interested in finding out about all the HB sets. Thanks!
Also, I've seen mentioned the Popeye Vol.1 set came with a comic. How was this packaged? I can't tell if the one I got has one or not and would like to find out.
Old 07-27-09, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bose Pro
Why is there so much fighting going on on a Big Lots DVD thread?
The Big Lots DVD bargain thread merged with the Big Lots bitchers, whiners and complainers thread. LOL

My local BL here in Thomasville, GA had put out some of the $3 sets today. I spoke with one of the clerks and he was nice enough to bring out a box from the back to let me look through. He said that they brought out more as they had room on the store's single 4-sided display. During the sale of the $6 boxsets they had set up a small additional dump bin but the regional manager came in and saw it and didn't like it so they moved some of the $6 stock to the back. I guess I'll just find time to go by every day as there was still more in the stockroom that hadn't been brought out. I did manage to pick up :

Agatha Christie Collection $3
Dallas S1&2 $6, S3 $6 from the last sale, blind buy for me as I had never watched the show, so please don't tell me who shot J.R, or that it was a frickin' dream - Thanks.
Everwood S1 $3 I had watched a few episodes of this when it aired and thought it was a pretty good show.
The Flintsones - S1, S2, S3, $3 each 0 Season 3 had been opened but was the only copy of it.
Jacques Cousteau River Explorations $3
Murphy Brown S1 $3
The Perils Of Penelope Pitstop - The Complete Series $3
Tales From The Crypt S3, S4, S5 $3 each - There was only one extra copy of one of these
Tracey Takes On S1 $3

Also spotted these but wanted to do some research to see if I wanted any of them:
Superman TAS S1
Superman S1, S5&6
Batman TAS - The Legend Begins & Tales Of The Dark Knight
Birdman & The Galaxy Trio The Complete Series
The War At Home
Mission Hill
Popeye Vol 1 1933- 38
Top Cat
Superfriends $6
Knots Landing $6
Life Goes On $6
Full House $6

Last edited by conehead433; 07-27-09 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 05:07 PM

do you know what season of Full House u saw?
Old 07-27-09, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by sotra
Are there any (complete) lists of the available/found $6/$3/$10 sets
Here is an incomplete quickie list of what some dvdtalk members have reported seeing at Big Lots-
EVERYTHING below $3.00 each at Big Lots unless otherwise noted-

THE HUCKLEBERRY HOUND SHOW
SUPERMAN (George Reeves), TV Season 1,2, 3/4, 5/6
SUPERMAN THEATRICAL Serials Collection (1948 & 1950 shows)
JONNY QUEST, Season 1
TOP CAT, Complete Series
LOIS & CLARK, Seasons 1, 2 and 3
TALES FROM THE CRYPT, Seasons 1, 2,3,4,5,6, 7
MURPHY BROWN, Season 1
POPEYE, Volume 1 1933-1938
Wacky Races complete series
(TWO pack) Batman animated Season 1 plus Superman anim season 1
Flintstones Season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (some are found not sealed)
Josie & the Pussy cats complete series
Looney Tunes- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Academy
Awards Animation Collection -just $3.00(?)
Space Ghost & Dino Boy
Birdman
Pebbles & Bamm Bamm complete series
PowerPuff Girls BOX set- complete series (6 dvd's) yes, $3.00 !
Boxed set of the first 5 Looney Tunes Golden Collection
for $10.00 has Volumes 1 through 5 plus pins of Bugs, Daffy etc.
Looney Tunes volume 6 (not sure of price, $6.00 ???)

Last edited by Keith123; 07-27-09 at 07:32 PM. Reason: I not so good a writer
Old 07-27-09, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up fsujosh. I would definitely grab the Johnny Quest and the Tales From The Crypt seasons I didn't manage to get today. The last time I drove to Tallahassee was sort of a bust as I managed to only find one of the $6 sets I wanted. It's really only worthwhile if I can manage to pick up at least a few titles on the trip. The last time I spoke to a clerk at the Tallahassee store he suggested that they were understaffed and it was sometimes the best they could do to get stuff out and on display a day or so ahead of an advertised sale. I'll wait and see what my store has on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. Post what you find later this week. Thanks.

Last edited by conehead433; 07-27-09 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 05:14 PM

I'm a little ticked. I returned to my local store today to notice all $3 sets were cleaned out from the day before. i was returning to pick up some sets to trade with fellow dvdtalkers.

I asked up front if they had any in the back and they told me to return tomorrow. gah!
Old 07-27-09, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ChadLowe34
do you know what season of Full House u saw?
I thought it was S1, but after looking at the covers at Amazon they all look similar. I'll probably go back tomorrow so I'll post a definitive answer if they still have it. I think only one copy was on the shelf.
Old 07-27-09, 05:16 PM

i went in first thing on sunday, and 3 other people besides me went straight for the dvds, word has spread
Old 07-27-09, 05:36 PM
Cool New Member

there's some smaller towns in N.Texas, and Southern Oklahoma, that are FULL of SETS- not much $10 though
Which ones? I went to several over the weekend in between North Dallas and OKC and found very little - at best, one or two sets that people want (and loads of Joey).
Old 07-27-09, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by U2Cowboy
Yes for TFTC, but in my experiences they have been cleared out at this point. What part of the Metroplex are you looking? No luck at all on the $10.
South Fort Worth and Burleson. I've been to couple of the Arlington stores but havent seen anything.
Old 07-27-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i went in first thing on sunday, and 3 other people besides me went straight for the dvds, word has spread
Yup, same thing here, although I only had one competitor upon opening of the store, as I described in a previous post. It was nice though because we got to look at the sets just before they were put on the shelf...even got to go through some of the shipping cartons. I got a couple of my sets right out of the box, before they even hit the shelf.

Went back after work today to see if anything new had filtered out from the stockroom. Answer: apparently not. There were some leftovers from yesterday, but a lot of the good stuff was gone.

Saw 8-10 copies of Popeye Volume 1 still there, bunch of those Hot Wheels things, whatever they are, Larry King, a few Lois and Clark seasons, Tom and Jerry two-fers, three Cousteau boxes, etc.

They were completely cleaned out of Tom and Jerry three-packs, all the Flintstones except for 3-4 copies of season 2 (I got five out of six seasons at opening yesterday), and only one copy of season 5 of Tales from the Crypt remained. (Saw several copies of at least three or four of the seasons yesterday).
Old 07-27-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Hit my three locals around St. Louis. Nothing new box set wise beyond Tracy Takes On & The Ben Stiller Show for $3 each.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.