DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Old 07-27-09, 08:20 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 6

slightly off topic, but how many of you that grabbed the 1st 2 tracey ullman seasons from big lots are grabbing that 3rd and 4th season box from dd during thier 25% sale to complete thier collections. its priced pretty good, about $13 after the 25%
Old 07-27-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bcink View Post
I hope one of you DVDTalkers was in the Turfland Big Lots in Lexington, KY about 45 minutes ago. Let me start at the beginning...
Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago View Post
Christ...

No, wasn't me.
Nor me...
Old 07-27-09, 08:41 PM

I went to all 4 of my local stores today. I had gone to a couple here and there over the weekend and there was nothing new. On Sunday, I had become a little worried because pretty much everything was cleaned out in the stores that had a decent selection. That's when the ad went into effect here and I figured the cat was out of the bag, so I'd probably never find a thing again. Still, I thought that I should have time Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this week to go looking, so I decided to go on those days and see what was around. I'm glad I did, too. Although most of the stores didn't seem to have anything new, one did. I picked up:

$6

Animaniacs 1 (Yay! One of the ones I really wanted)
Pinky & the Brain 1, 2 (2 has been around, but I decided that I wasn't going to bother if I couldn't find 1 since I only "kind of" wanted it, then there was 1 today, so I was contractually obligated with myself to get both)
The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies
Thundercats Season 2 Vol. 2 (Yay! Another one that I really wanted)

And then there were two Thundercats sets that were only double-disc and were apparently smaller units of the "volume" sets. One was Season 1, Volume One #1, and the other was Season 1, Volume 2 #3. I felt a little weird paying the same price for two-disc sets as I did for the 6-disc set, but I got them anyway. I didn't have any Thundercats before today and it's one of the things that I really want from this sale. I noticed some seem to have found entire first season volumes unless I've misread or they've mistyped. I figured I'd get them and keep them packaged for a while, so if I come across a full volume set in which they are included, I'll just take them back.

Still REALLY hoping to come across a Veronica Mars Season 2. I'd love to come across more Animaniacs and Thundercats, too, and 6 and 7 of Tales from the Crypt would be good, too, to finish the collection. Any more of the old Scooby shows would be nice, too, I guess. Crud, just when I thought I only had a few things left, I keep thinking of more.

As for new things that I wasn't interested in, the only things that stuck out to me were a Looney Tunes set that I hadn't seen, Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection 2, and a set of 5 of the fairly recent Scooby-Doo movies.

Last edited by twa2; 07-27-09 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 08:43 PM
Cool New Member

Does anyone have any idea of when the next Big Lots ad will drop? It looks like some stores are putting out their stock when the ads come out on the day insiders receive the e-mail of the ad. The first ad had the $6 sets, this last one had $3 sets. Could the next ad possibly have $10 sets?
Old 07-27-09, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by jgorow View Post
slightly off topic, but how many of you that grabbed the 1st 2 tracey ullman seasons from big lots are grabbing that 3rd and 4th season box from dd during thier 25% sale to complete thier collections. its priced pretty good, about $13 after the 25%
I'll be waiting until I've actually watched both 1 and 2, not sure what year that will be at the moment. By then BL may have 3 and 4 for $3 each or I'm willing to bet I'll be able to get a good deal on them, even better than the current DD sale.

Last edited by conehead433; 07-27-09 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by twa2 View Post
I went to all 4 of my local stores today. I had gone to a couple here and there over the weekend and there was nothing new. On Sunday, I had become a little worried because pretty much everything was cleaned out in the stores that had a decent selection. That's then the ad went into effect here and I figured the cat was out of the bag, so I'd probably never find a thing again. Still, I thought that I should have time Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this week to go looking, so I decided to go on those days and see what was around. I'm glad I did, too. Although most of the stores didn't seem to have anything new, one did. I picked up:

$6

Animaniacs 1 (Yay! One of the ones I really wanted)
Pinky & the Brain 1, 2 (2 has been around, but I decided that I wasn't going to bother if I couldn't find 1 since I only "kind of" wanted it, then there was 1 today, so I was contractually obligated with myself to get both)
The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies
Thundercats Season 2 Vol. 2 (Yay! Another one that I really wanted)

And then there were two Thundercats sets that were only double-disc and were apparently smaller units of the "volume" sets. One was Season 1, Volume One #1, and the other was Season 1, Volume 2 #3. I felt a little weird paying the same price for two-disc sets as I did for the 6-disc set, but I got them anyway. I didn't have any Thundercats before today and it's one of the things that I really want from this sale. I noticed some seem to have found entire first season volumes unless I've misread or they've mistyped. I figured I'd get them and keep them packaged for a while, so if I come across a full volume set in which they are included, I'll just take them back.

Still REALLY hoping to come across a Veronica Mars Season 2. I'd love to come across more Animaniacs and Thundercats, too, and 6 and 7 of Tales from the Crypt would be good, too, to finish the collection. Any more of the old Scooby shows would be nice, too, I guess. Crud, just when I thought I only had a few things left, I keep thinking of more.

As for new things that I wasn't interested in, the only things that stuck out to me were a Looney Tunes set that I hadn't seen, Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection 2, and a set of 5 of the fairly recent Scooby-Doo movies.

Where in Florida? I can get you the Veronice Mars if you need it. What Loony Tunes set? Was it Vol. 6?
Old 07-27-09, 09:00 PM

Has anyone in the St Louis area seen any of the $10 sets? I have been trying to go back through the threads to find out but I figured I would ask since it would save a lot of time. After work all day my eyes can't handle going through all these pages. Thanks for any replies.
Old 07-27-09, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by bcink View Post
I hope one of you DVDTalkers was in the Turfland Big Lots in Lexington, KY about 45 minutes ago.
Christ...
You think he shops at Big Lots?

No, wasn't me.
Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Nor me...
Alas, nor was it I. The only thing I was doing with Big Lots DVDs today was cataloging a couple of the remaining ones from my coworker's haul last Wednesday.
Old 07-27-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Snooples View Post
You think he shops at Big Lots?
Of course... Even Christ needs bargain entertainment.

Well, that leaves mythmaker18 remaining from the usual suspects.

I spend far too much time in the Big Lots threads.
Old 07-27-09, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by House13 View Post
Has anyone in the St Louis area seen any of the $10 sets? I have been trying to go back through the threads to find out but I figured I would ask since it would save a lot of time. After work all day my eyes can't handle going through all these pages. Thanks for any replies.
I have searched the STL area for the last 3 weeks or so and have not seen a $10 set anywhere. I've even asked many a Big Lots employee and the closest I've heard of a big set was the Powerpuff Girls set. It also seems that when the STL stores do get in $3 sets there are nowhere near enough to go around.
Most employees at the stores don't seem to give a rats ass about helping anyone. They are probably inindated on a daily basis with questions about box sets.
Old 07-27-09, 09:23 PM

I just saw on ebay someone has all 4 season of Lois and Clark on sale. Buy it Now..with 4 sets available at a low $166.67!!!!...They are being nice enough to throw in free shipping though.

$12.00 at big lots if you can find all 4 seasons at one store right now....LMAO
Old 07-27-09, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter View Post
I agree, let's stay on topic. Danvers, MA still had popeyes, flintstones and war at homes. There was one jacques cousteau river oddysies. Some tom and jerry two packs and superfriends two packs and tracey takes on.
I keep debating on when I should check the Danvers store. I'm hoping that stuff that hasn't made an appearance will eventually show up. I've almost convinced myself that I should go in on Wednesday afternoon and ask to look at the stuff in the back using the sales tax increase as an excuse, but then I realized we're talking about saving $.04 per $3 set. That's not exactly gonna break the bank.
Old 07-27-09, 09:30 PM

Jones, first of all thanks. Second, about the workers, man the ones at the Kingshighway store are all kinds of crazy. I was in there on Sunday and the lady behind the counter started yelling at the customer. I seriously thought they were gonna fight. Just crazy stuff.
Old 07-27-09, 09:40 PM

Christ...

My last planned Lexington check will be tomorrow evening and possibly Wednesday morning... Your post got me thinking a little though. Wonder if he found it somewhere else in the store other than the usual DVD spots... Grrrr.

Wasn't just you and I that missed it though, I was going to grab it for someone here since I'm not really interested in it and have way too much to spin at this point.
I checked the store over pretty good tonight. If it was in another area, I would expect it to be on an endcap or display. I didn't see anything. I asked the lady and at the checkout if there were any DVDs elsewhere in the store. She mumbled something that indicated that there wasn't.

The thing that I worried about more than another location in the store is that he is an insider and someone got it out of the back for him. The shelves are pretty full there and they could have a bunch of stuff stashed in the back. Not sure. I'm probably just paranoid.

I'll probably check back tomorrow and Wednesday and then quit for a while, unless I need another grill brush or something like that...
Old 07-27-09, 09:44 PM

I love how this post grows by 2 pages every time I come to it.

Has there been any confirmation on Deadwood showing up or True Blood? I figured it was someone being cruel but you never know I guess. Thanks!
Old 07-27-09, 09:50 PM

Even Christ needs bargain entertainment.
No wonder I can't find Angels in America!

And speaking of faith...I'm having trouble believing in that True Blood S1 sighting, too. I guess I'm just going to be a doubting Thomas unless I see it for myself. At least enough people have seen the $10 grail sets that I'm a believer in those.

And of course I've seen Joey with my very own eyes - but I'm still not a convert.

Last edited by Snooples; 07-27-09 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by bobwil54 View Post
South Fort Worth and Burleson. I've been to couple of the Arlington stores but havent seen anything.
I scored at the Arlington store on South Cooper on Friday, but it's been picked clean. Went to the Green Oaks store on Sunday and it didn't have anything. Doesn't look like these things lasted through the weekend.
Old 07-27-09, 09:59 PM

I tried a store in Denton, TX tonight. Was happy to find quite a few Popeye sets and The Assassination of Richard Nixon. Also grabbed Josie and The Pussycats complete series and the entire Wonder Woman series box for $6. I have just about no interest in this but couldn't pass it up.

Also saw some Smallville S. 7 blu-rays, Six Feet Under s.3, and a few other random things. Not the great haul I was hoping for, but decent nonetheless. I'd kill to find some Animaniacs, Looney Tunes, or Pinky and the Brain.
Old 07-27-09, 09:59 PM

Of course... Even Christ needs bargain entertainment.

Well, that leaves mythmaker18 remaining from the usual suspects.
Guess it was a non DVDtalker. Haven't checked out Lexington since last Tuesday.
Old 07-27-09, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by doctaheath78 View Post
Where in Florida? I can get you the Veronice Mars if you need it. What Loony Tunes set? Was it Vol. 6?
Sorry if I caused any confusion, but the Spotlight Collection was the Looney Tunes set. I'm in Pensacola. I think I'm just going to keep looking for a while, thanks. The thrill of the hunt is something that I haven't experienced in a while since I've taken a long break from DVD hunting before this. Sick, I know, but I never claimed to be a well person. :P
Old 07-27-09, 10:03 PM

Has there been anymore than the one sighting of Doctor Who and the Claws of Axos? I'm trying to figure out if its one of those flukes showing up at just one store and weither it was included in a shipment of the $3 boxed sets or it was in a shipment of $3 DVDs.
Old 07-27-09, 10:05 PM

Stopped at the Westerville OH store on the way home and for the first time out of 10 or so visits, that actually had some stuff I was interested in. Picked up Space Ghost (only saw 1 other copy), Josie and the Pussycats (several copies left), and the last copy of Dastardly & Muttley. Also saw the Larry King Interviews, one copy of the Wiggles set, the $10 Looney Tunes 2-movie collection, and several copies of the History of Rock 'n Roll (which I had not seen there before). None of these were there on Saturday.

I have seen the $10 Roots set and the $10 Looney Tunes 2-movie set at multiple locations around here, so they are definitely getting the $10 sets. I just wish I could find one of the elusive IMAX sets.
Old 07-27-09, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by grune View Post
Has there been anymore than the one sighting of Doctor Who and the Claws of Axos? I'm trying to figure out if its one of those flukes showing up at just one store and weither it was included in a shipment of the $3 boxed sets or it was in a shipment of $3 DVDs.
I bought the Claws of Axos also. So I think that makes at least 3 confirmed sightings of it. At the store I was at, it was definitely mixed with the boxed sets.
Old 07-27-09, 10:21 PM

Went to Richmond, KY store today to "get a surge protector" and looked around. Had Flinstones S1/2/3, Tracey Ullman, Popeye (bout 25 of them), Night Court, West Wing, Larry King, Josey, Dastardly & Muttley. Might have been some others but nothing great. Last week I saw some Anamaniacs and Pinky/Brain there. Should have picked them up for trade bait at least apparently; I already bought them when they first came out. Oh, I also saw 2 copies of the $10 Looney Tunes 2 movie set, but I saw that amazon has it for $12 so not sure thats a great grab there...

Last edited by pd071; 07-27-09 at 10:22 PM. Reason: changes
Old 07-27-09, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Infusion07 View Post
Stopped at the Westerville OH store on the way home and for the first time out of 10 or so visits, that actually had some stuff I was interested in. Picked up Space Ghost (only saw 1 other copy), Josie and the Pussycats (several copies left), and the last copy of Dastardly & Muttley. Also saw the Larry King Interviews, one copy of the Wiggles set, the $10 Looney Tunes 2-movie collection, and several copies of the History of Rock 'n Roll (which I had not seen there before). None of these were there on Saturday.

I have seen the $10 Roots set and the $10 Looney Tunes 2-movie set at multiple locations around here, so they are definitely getting the $10 sets. I just wish I could find one of the elusive IMAX sets.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.