Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Quick question. My boxed set of "America's Game: The Superbowl Champions" was stickered "Costco Exclusive! Includes bonus disc 'A Countdown To History'", and contains a promotional disc in a paper sleeve. Do all sets come with it?
Old 07-18-09, 01:41 PM

OMG! In my Ten years of collecting and over 2,300 DVD's. I had my best DVD day ever! And I live In Terre Haute, IN where most Dvd's are made and are very cheap to get in these parts (Columbia House & Sony are here). I stopped by Big Lots this morning and picked up All these for $3:

Tales from the Crypt season 3 & 5
Larry Kings greatest interviews
Lois & Clark season 1, 2, 3
Adventures of Superman 1, 2, 5 & 6 (George Reeves)
Top Cat: Complete Series
Huckleberry Hound Volume 1
Wacky Racers: Complete Series
Josie & The Pussy Cats: Complete Series
Pebbles & Bamm Bamm Show: Complete Series
Flintstones 1,3,4,6 Seasons

plus for $6 I got

Nip Tuck Season 1
Joey: Season 1

And as I was checking out the counter lady said you must love DVD's (no shit) and she said do you want any of these and she rolled out a cart of the $10 sets
and I picked up:

The Looney Tunes Volume 1-5 with Pins
Roots: Complete collection
America's Game:The Superbowl Champions (40 Disc all 40 Super Bowls)
IMAX: The Ultimate Collection 20 disc set

all of the above out the door for $118

they have a huge bin full of the $3.00 sets

They only had one IMAX and One Superbowl set and I just got lucky getting them.

This in addition to what I picked up last week
Flintstones 2 & 3
West Wing Season 2
Tales from crypt 1
4 of the Scooby Doo Sets
Night Court season 1
Tracey Takes On season 1
Sam Kinison
and a Broncos Superbowl DVD

all for a total of under $170 making for the greatest DVD week in my ten years of collecting. I still cant believe these prices. I got all 6 seasons of the Flintstones for $18
long live Big Lots!!!!!
Old 07-18-09, 01:47 PM

Just imagine how much you would have spent if you paid list price. Congrats on the deals.
Old 07-18-09, 01:51 PM
Cool New Member

i am having no luck northside of houston 3 stores so far all picked clean, quick question about the roots set is that the original complete set and if it is wide or fools screen.
Old 07-18-09, 01:53 PM

no $10 sets at either the wallingford or derby spots in CT. Man CT big lots are overall kind of weak.
Old 07-18-09, 02:15 PM

Nothing new at my local store, other than some Nickelodeon cartoons, though the Avatar: The Last Airbender DVDs were $4 each instead of $3 as mentioned elsewhere. No new boxed sets whatsoever.
Old 07-18-09, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghetto_journo
Picked up Tracy Takes On... Season 2 $3

a lot of Top Cat The Complete Series for $3, so that's on my slab for next weekend.
WOW I paid $6 for Tracey takes on in Florida and also found Season 1 of Waiti Till Your Father Gets Home. Not even sure if it was worth picking up,b tu it was the 1st HANNA-BARBARA set i ever saw at Big Lots so i figured what the hell.
Old 07-18-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by highclassrob
no $10 sets at either the wallingford or derby spots in CT. Man CT big lots are overall kind of weak.
You're not whistling dixie. I've resigned myself to the realization that I'm not meant to score on these sets. Even if the Derby store ever does get these sets, I'm not going to get them unless I walk in right when they are shelving the stock. While I was at Derby this morning, there were a couple of other vultures circling around the DVD rack and in the electronics department. I then went to the FYE in Trumbull and there was a kid trading in an obvious Big Lots! haul(West Wing, Nip/Tuck, O.C., etc). No more special trips for me.
Old 07-18-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by highclassrob
Yup, nothing new today at the Big Lots in Newington. Everything was picked clean of what I had seen last time I was there.
Old 07-18-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You're not whistling dixie. I've resigned myself to the realization that I'm not meant to score on these sets. No more special trips for me.
This pretty much sums up my own thoughts on the mission at hand. I've put my want list out to friends and family all over the country, but also emphasized that none of it are "must haves." The 8 or so things on my list would be nice to have, especially at the price, but there isn't anything I can't live without as far as my investment in the hobby goes. I guess I've been rather lucky that nothing so far has really inspired a deep longing to "have to have it."

What I've enjoyed most is the adventure of it and reading all the posts about what everyone has found or not found and the various experiences therein. It's been a lot of fun and I look forward to more of the same. I'm happy for everyone who has found their treasures and send all my best wishes and hopes for those still searching. I'm not giving up, just sitting back to get some perspective before the next round.
Old 07-18-09, 02:58 PM
Banned

Just called the Allentown, PA store. Some jack ass went and spent $500 and wiped them out of all their entire $3 DVD shipment! I wish nothing less then death on him and his entire family! GREEDY MONEY HUNGRY BASTARD!

Last edited by dkedvd; 07-18-09 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-18-09, 03:01 PM
Banned

PS: Keep en eye out for the next shipment to your store. I called a local store and the manager knew about the DVD but said they wouldn't arrive until Monday.
Old 07-18-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Didn't find anything new at my Big Lots today, but I stopped by the flea market this afternoon and hit the jackpot. There was a local video store that closed and had their ENTIRE inventory out there for $1/DVD and $2/Boxed Set (tv series mainly). Spent several hundred dollars and even that was holding myself back.
Old 07-18-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL. The Austin Arboretum Big Lots had a ton of $6 DVD Boxsets but they were ALL the Dukes of Hazard.

I picked up (for $3)
The Right Stuff (2-Disc SE)
The Wild Bunch (2-Disc SE)
Empire Records: Remix Edition
Pleasantville (keepcase, woo)

... will check out the other N Austin location near Fry's today or tomorrow. Also got the 20% coupon at checkout.
Old 07-18-09, 04:00 PM

Has anyone seen anything around Orange County, CA? I feel the majority of the best finds are either in the mid to east coast. Or maybe I'm just unlucky--all the stores I get to are all gutted and all I'm left with are Dukes of Hazard and Joey (boo!).
Old 07-18-09, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Just called the Allentown, PA store. Some jack ass went and spent $500 and wiped them out of all their entire $3 DVD shipment! I wish nothing less then death on him and his entire family! GREEDY MONEY HUNGRY BASTARD!
Must have been a reseller. I am having similar problems with the three Big Lots in my area. People pick them clean almost as soon as they are restocked.

However, I did manage to get just over 50 dvd titles for $3 each today. Sadly, there were no decent boxed sets to be found. Maybe next week will be better.

My want list includes:

The Kubrick Collection
Roots Complete Collection (not next generation, have it)
Looney Tunes Golden Collection (1-5 pack?)
Babylon 5 Movie Collection
Appleseed ex machina (steelbook 2-disc?)

Last edited by wvtechs; 07-18-09 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 07-18-09, 04:09 PM

Anyone else notice Roots Complete Collection with an extra book shrinkwrapped on the outside of the box with it?
Old 07-18-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 2sday
Anyone else notice Roots Complete Collection with an extra book shrinkwrapped on the outside of the box with it?
Yes, that's the version I picked up today at the Newport, KY store. It's a bonus book (and software?) called 1-2-3 Family Tree from Ancestry Publishing. There were at least a dozen Roots sets at this store, about half with the bonus book.

A ton of TV series sets at this store, most of them shoved on an endcap near the electronics. No Looney Toons sets, unfortunately.
Old 07-18-09, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by creaturefeature
i am having no luck northside of houston 3 stores so far all picked clean, quick question about the roots set is that the original complete set and if it is wide or fools screen.
The original Roots miniseries is presented in standard screen format because that is how it was broadcast.
Old 07-18-09, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by printerati
Yes, that's the version I picked up today at the Newport, KY store. It's a bonus book (and software?) called 1-2-3 Family Tree from Ancestry Publishing. There were at least a dozen Roots sets at this store, about half with the bonus book.

A ton of TV series sets at this store, most of them shoved on an endcap near the electronics. No Looney Toons sets, unfortunately.
Is it true that some stores put the boxed sets like Roots in another location separate from the main DVD display?
Old 07-18-09, 04:47 PM

Stopped by three more Big Lots today, and nothing new. As everyone else is reporting, the only box sets still in stock from the last batch are the multitude of Dukes of Hazzard, Joey, Night Court ... ha ha.

So I have to agree with some of the folks here that are reporting the WB cartoon box sets will probably hit San Diego store shelves next week, in time for the next Big Lots ad. In my experience, Big Lots stores put out their dvd sales stuff a few days before the sale goes into effect. So I'm going to hope that by Thursday/Friday, we should start seeing the goodies.

Keep the faith, everyone ... we'll hit the dvd jackpot eventually. And thanks to those posters who have made me laugh like crazy with their candid words about Big Lots dvd resellers (ex. vultures circling around the dvds, wishing death on resellers and their families, etc.) ... LOL!!!
Old 07-18-09, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sammy Banderas
Stopped by three more Big Lots today, and nothing new. As everyone else is reporting, the only box sets still in stock from the last batch are the multitude of Dukes of Hazzard, Joey, Night Court ... ha ha.
Now if we can only determine when those ever-so-popular and seemingly non-existent DVD boxed sets will hit the store shelves again and get to them before the vultures do.
Old 07-18-09, 04:58 PM

Don't remember seeing these listed, but I just picked up; The Ben Stiller Show complete and Justice League Season One Blu-Ray for $3 ea.
Old 07-18-09, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by wvtechs
Now if we can only determine when those ever-so-popular and seemingly non-existent DVD boxed sets will hit the store shelves again and get to them before the vultures do.
DVD Vultures ... I love it!!! We should have t-shirts made ... "Say no to vultures!"
Old 07-18-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by turnondafun
I found Friends Season 1 but that was on the 9th. I'm still looking for 2 and 10 to complete my set too.
Cool... hope to find a season 1 in my hunt... Thanks..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.