Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Liquidation Deals (post your finds here)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City Liquidation Deals (post your finds here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 03:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Deals (post your finds here)

Policy was 30 days when I bought it. I see a polite but firm confrontation looming.
Old 01-24-09, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a $50 GC for Christmas so I stopped by Wednesday to see if I could find a decent stand for my 46" plasma.

The store was still pretty much fully stocked. I counted four employees in the entire store. One at CS, one at checkout, a manager floating around, and a sales associate who was occupied by another customer. This ain't a small store either, so it was sorta surprising.

After looking around for a while, I found an adjustable floor stand that I liked. Last one and a floor model though. Grabbed the price tag, went up front to CS, and asked about it. She said there wasn't any additional discount beyond what the tag said (clearance item) and no returns. I said that was fine so long as they still had the instruction manual and whatever additional parts that came with the thing. After consulting another employee, she told me she was pretty sure they didn't have anything else in the back for it. Not willing to risk it, I just ended up leaving.

I think I'm just going to give the GC to my brother. Let him do what he wants with it...
Old 01-24-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Policy was 30 days when I bought it. I see a polite but firm confrontation looming.
Since the store technically isn't owned by CC anymore... Good luck!
Old 02-04-09, 06:39 PM

Has anyone been to a store recently to see if they are still getting new releases on CD and DVD?
Old 02-04-09, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by taco5
Has anyone been to a store recently to see if they are still getting new releases on CD and DVD?
they didnt get this weeks new releases.
Old 02-04-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The fact there are posts about ten days apart tells me not to even bother going to CC anymore. I was hoping to hear of some great deals but it seems like the liquidators are just running the business as usual.
Old 02-04-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by taco5
I believe earlier in the thread someone said they are not. The store is no longer being run by CC. The liquidation company has taken over and all they do is sell what's there.
Old 02-04-09, 08:39 PM

before CC announced their closings, my local had a polk sound bar (forget the model). It was scratch and dent in rough shape. I have been wanting to try something like this for the bedroom on the cheap. No price tag so I ask for a price. It is $149.00. I wait hoping it will go down.

First week-end of liquidation I ask again. it is $199 - 10% discount.

This week I asked again. It is $249 - 10% discount.

After I explained the above to a sales guy he said, sorry but this ($249) is the price.I told him, once it hits $329 I am jumping all over it.
Old 02-04-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw
before CC announced their closings, my local had a polk sound bar (forget the model). It was scratch and dent in rough shape. I have been wanting to try something like this for the bedroom on the cheap. No price tag so I ask for a price. It is $149.00. I wait hoping it will go down.

First week-end of liquidation I ask again. it is $199 - 10% discount.

This week I asked again. It is $249 - 10% discount.

After I explained the above to a sales guy he said, sorry but this ($249) is the price.I told him, once it hits $329 I am jumping all over it.
Come on, what are you thinking? That's a helluva deal! The first week you'd only have saved $20, but the second week was going to save you $25! How is that now awesome? You're totally right to wait until you can save $33. With operations like this, how did this store not close out BB?
Old 02-04-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I checked out my local one today & it's still worthless....
Old 02-04-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Since the store technically isn't owned by CC anymore... Good luck!
So... how did that go?
Old 02-05-09, 01:01 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by RedTail
I got a $50 GC for Christmas so I stopped by Wednesday to see if I could find a decent stand for my 46" plasma.

The store was still pretty much fully stocked. I counted four employees in the entire store. One at CS, one at checkout, a manager floating around, and a sales associate who was occupied by another customer. This ain't a small store either, so it was sorta surprising.

After looking around for a while, I found an adjustable floor stand that I liked. Last one and a floor model though. Grabbed the price tag, went up front to CS, and asked about it. She said there wasn't any additional discount beyond what the tag said (clearance item) and no returns. I said that was fine so long as they still had the instruction manual and whatever additional parts that came with the thing. After consulting another employee, she told me she was pretty sure they didn't have anything else in the back for it. Not willing to risk it, I just ended up leaving.

I think I'm just going to give the GC to my brother. Let him do what he wants with it...
As somebody who regularly has to assemble stands for Best Buy, I can honestly tell you that there are no extra parts that come with those things, and the instruction manual is usually in broken English with inadequate diagrams. What were you expecting to get? The thing is already assembled, so I can't imagine what good an instruction manual will do.

Whenever people are looking for a good deal on stands, shelving, and storage for media equipment, I always tell them to check a massive hardware store like Home Depot. If you are looking for a bare bones stand or book shelf to store DVDs, they have a pretty decent selection of garage style storage that is extremely durable and very cheap. It doesn't look the best, but you get what you pay for. I have been using a 20 dollar garage corner rack for an AV Tower for about 4 years now, and since the setup is in my basement, I don't really care about appearance. Obviously you don't want a big metal rail rack in the middle of your living room, but it sure works great for dorm rooms!
Old 02-05-09, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Let me just say that I think it's hilarious that this thread has gotten to 4 pages and there hasn't been a single "find".
Old 02-05-09, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Let me just say that I think it's hilarious that this thread has gotten to 4 pages and there hasn't been a single "find".
I am not surprised. Going out of business sales are never worth it. You are always taking a chance because you can't return what you buy in the hopes of getting a big bargain. With low prices, free shipping, and no sales tax buying on line is the place to get a bargain. I think you have as much chance of getting bargain as winning the lottery.
Old 02-05-09, 10:10 AM
Cool New Member

There are no deals unless you know of something that does not go on sale very often and has a high resale value. My deals have been ink cartridges at 20% off (it's the combo packs that are typically excluded from sales) and a Tivo HD for 20% off (which most stores sold out at 10% off) which is more than the reman model on Tivo (less than a new model) but doesn't require a commit to service for 3 years at a higher rate.

We all rant about how there are no deals and how crazy people are for buying what they have. I guess I can't complain . . . if I was the liquidator, I'd be trying to make every dollar I could, as long as people are buying, why drop my prices.

So long story short, you need to have a specific need on a very specific product to get a deal. By the time the real deals start hitting, YMMV will be posted on every thread and everyone will be complaining they didn't find it at their store. Guess there's nothing positive about going out of business (yes that's sarcasm).
Old 02-05-09, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichBecker
Whenever people are looking for a good deal on stands, shelving, and storage for media equipment, I always tell them to check a massive hardware store like Home Depot. If you are looking for a bare bones stand or book shelf to store DVDs, they have a pretty decent selection of garage style storage that is extremely durable and very cheap. It doesn't look the best, but you get what you pay for. I have been using a 20 dollar garage corner rack for an AV Tower for about 4 years now, and since the setup is in my basement, I don't really care about appearance. Obviously you don't want a big metal rail rack in the middle of your living room, but it sure works great for dorm rooms!
I did the same thing for a stand when I got my HDTV. I bought two short garage cabinets from Walmart and put them side by side. They were like $80 a piece, but 2 of them was still cheaper than getting a fancy HDTV stand at the time. Only problem I've had with them is those stupid pins the shelves are supposed to sit on got loose. I moved stuff around one day, and put the shelves back in. When I went to set a DVD player on a shelf, the damn thing dropped straight to the floor. Good thing it's only about a 1 foot fall. I got some corner brackets and short screws from Home Depot for like $4. Needless to say, it's not exactly an adjustable shelf anymore.
Old 02-05-09, 11:33 AM

Still no deals? I am not even bothering to drive half an hour to see if they have any decent deals.
Old 02-05-09, 12:38 PM

Went in a few minutes ago. still quite a bit of stuff in the store, but nothing that was an "OMG i need to buy this now". i went in looking for a new RB guitar (which was 20% off while everything else in video games was 30%) and just a few other things. Sad thing was their 30% off prices were still higher than i can get some of the stuff normally.
Old 02-05-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I posted this in the other CC liquidation thread, but my local CC had 30% off of Wii points cards late last week. Since the cards are essentially the same as money (granted, you can only spend them on Wii Ware games and Virtual Console titles), I picked up 3 cards. After tax, the cost of each card was $15 (for $20 worth of points).

BTW, they didn't have pre-packaged Microsoft Points cards, only the ones that have to be activated at the register, and there was no discount on those, so...the Wii points deal was the only good deal I could find.
Old 02-05-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw a TV commercial that said all CD's/DVD's are now 40% off. This was in the Nashville area.
Old 02-05-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsmath
I just saw a TV commercial that said all CD's/DVD's are now 40% off. This was in the Nashville area.
A commercial here in Rochester omitted all media from the list
Old 02-05-09, 09:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
SOCOM Confrontation bundle for $45 out the door. Not bad considering the headset alone is $50 new.

Movies at 30% now STILL are higher than Amazon.
Old 02-05-09, 11:45 PM

I went last weekend and might go this weekend for DVDs and CDs if there are any deals to be found. I know what I'm looking for, and I know what amazon/best buy prices them at, and last weekend, after paying a mark up of $2-$4, it would have put the discount at the same retail price everywhere else. I got great deals from the CC across the street from my job when they closed about 2 months ago, I got a ton of stuff 40-70% off and went weekly as the %'s went up, but by the end of it there was pretty much nothing left to look at. I wish people wouldn't buy all of this stuff now and wait until the %'s get higher, but, what are you going to do? They see $ off and think it's a good deal, when they are really just paying retail.
Old 02-05-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saw a commercial that's 30% off media. Lame.

Are the car audio deals any good or could I found something cheaper elsewhere? I want a new Pioneer deck for my car.
Old 02-06-09, 03:19 PM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bought a few things and, while they weren't huge bargains, I thought they were fairly decent deals.

When the store was still at 20%, I picked up the CC exclusive of TDK (stickered at $34.99) for $23.99, plus tax. Cheaper than I thought it would ring up.
I went back a few days ago and though there was still tons of stock left, the markdown was only 25%. I picked up Iron Man 2-discs for $22.49 (only 50 cents cheaper than Amazon) and The 4400 Season 4 for $22.49 (Amazon price: $28.99).
I had some giftcards to spend so it was worth it for me, and I'll probably stop by in a week or so to see if anything of value's left.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.