Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '09

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '09

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '0

And FYI, the Indian Summer listing is a subbed release (TRSI has a typo).
Thanks, WTK, that's good to know.
Old 01-22-09, 07:46 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 546 Likes on 479 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '0

Originally Posted by Tenkyoken
What looks good in this sale? I see Full Metal Panic! Heavy Metal Collection for $54.
I forgot to mention that this release will be in a brick with the disc count reduced to fit the two series. Extras will not be included.

And FYI to those who don't know, ADV won't be using the thinpak packaging anymore. It stated sometime in December '08. So it's standard keepcases and bricks unless indicated otherwise.
Old 01-22-09, 09:36 PM
WTK

Weekly Specials & Bargain Bin / Closeout Items from RightStuf.com

Ongoing:New:
Old 01-22-09, 10:10 PM

From what I hear, the Samurai X Complete Collection is a bare bones release with none of the extras from the older dvds. I think I'll pass on it especially for $60.
Old 01-22-09, 10:38 PM
WTK

From what I hear, the Samurai X Complete Collection is a bare bones release with none of the extras from the older dvds. I think I'll pass on it especially for $60.
You are correct. Extras are stripped with that release. The release that you want then is probably this one. This one though it's OOP. If you really want, you would probably have to get them from auction sites. It very occasionally pop back up on TRSI, but I wouldn't bank on it happening again.
Old 01-22-09, 10:42 PM

I ordered this one from the Best Buy in-store kiosk but the order was eventually canceled. I really like the OVA collection as I see no point of the Director's Cut Editions, and I already have the Motion Picture. I'll keep my eye out for it, but hope is getting thin.

Last edited by Tenkyoken; 01-22-09 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

awwweeesommeee i LOVED BIG LOTS coupons! time to stock up on the ESSENTIALS! groceries and anime!!!!
Old 01-23-09, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by WTK
And FYI to those who don't know, ADV won't be using the thinpak packaging anymore. It stated sometime in December '08. So it's standard keepcases and bricks unless indicated otherwise.
Sorry for the basic terminology question, but what is the difference between the thinpack, standard keepcase, and brick packaging? Thanks.
Old 01-23-09, 08:20 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by beanjer
Sorry for the basic terminology question, but what is the difference between the thinpack, standard keepcase, and brick packaging? Thanks.
Pics (actual packaging and disc count may/will vary): Thinpak | Keepcase | Brick
Old 01-23-09, 11:47 AM
WTK

Noting a couple restocked TRSI Bargain Bin items...

Old 01-23-09, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
Infinite Ryvius Boxset? That's a good find. Which version is it? Is the chipboard collection with the singles?
Yea, its this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Ryviu...2764247&sr=8-3

I would love to get a complete list of all the anime @ 75% off, but unfortunately unlike the B1G1 they're not allowed to let the customers see the list.
Old 01-24-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
has anyone received their Berserk Remastered Box Set from the borders deal (get the remastered set for $24) and if so, do you have pics of it you could post? I have received no e-mail or anything about it shipping and im very curious about what it looks like
Borders just cancelled my order. I'm going to have to contact them to see if they will reinstate this order because I don't want the 40% off coupon that I used to go to waste.
Old 01-25-09, 08:56 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
has anyone received their Berserk Remastered Box Set from the borders deal (get the remastered set for $24) and if so, do you have pics of it you could post? I have received no e-mail or anything about it shipping and im very curious about what it looks like
Borders just cancelled my order. I'm going to have to contact them to see if they will reinstate this order because I don't want the 40% off coupon that I used to go to waste.
Anime Castle has this in-stock now. So it's likely that select online retailers (mostly those that concentrate on anime) will be this in-stock soon.
Old 01-25-09, 02:20 PM

Can anyone break down the different releases of Akira. There are so many I can't wrap my head around them. Especially what's coming up with the new Blu-ray release?
Old 01-25-09, 03:41 PM

Just got back from FYE, found some more 75% off stuff:

Eureka 7 Vol 3 Special Edition - $7.50
Eureka 7 Vol 5 Special Edition - $7.50
Geneshaft Anime Legends Complete Collection - $7.50
Old 01-25-09, 06:25 PM

For the 75% off items, do they show up at the discounted price at the little self-scan kiosks, or does the discount only appear at checkout?
Old 01-25-09, 09:31 PM

Can anyone break down the different releases of Akira. There are so many I can't wrap my head around them. Especially what's coming up with the new Blu-ray release?
In 2001 Pioneer (aka Geneon) released it on DVD in a regular edition, a special edition (with a 2nd DVD of extras), and a limited edition (same as the special edition, but in a steelcase).

In 2002 Pioneer released a single disc version with DTS audio.

In 2004 Geneon re-released the 2001 regular edition as part of their signature series.

All of those releases are Out Of Print.

Next month Honneamise is releasing Akira on blu-ray in a regular and limited edition (with a slipcover and booklet).
The bad news is that the limited edition is just the first print run of the regular edition.

Per their official blog:
In any case, I’ve been reading (and been told) that there is some confusions about the first press and where to get it from. The AKIRA BD First Press Edition will not be an exclusive to any particular store! If you have a particular store you like to shop, as long as they placed their order with us on time, they should be receiving it *hopefully*! After the first pressing is done, the booklet and slipcase will no longer be available!
Old 01-26-09, 01:13 AM

Is there any difference between Nurse Witch Komugi DVD 1 &2 and the boxset? They have a few left in stock of the old ones, and I wanted to grab them depending on the answer to this question. I'm also wondering if there is something missing because TRSI has Dvd 1& 2 both listed at 90 mins while the boxset is only 120 Thanks!
Old 01-26-09, 05:39 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by bmoore
Is there any difference between Nurse Witch Komugi DVD 1 &2 and the boxset? They have a few left in stock of the old ones, and I wanted to grab them depending on the answer to this question. I'm also wondering if there is something missing because TRSI has Dvd 1& 2 both listed at 90 mins while the boxset is only 120 Thanks!
There is no difference between the discs. The complete collection is supposed to include 6 episodes (5 from TV, 1 from side story) with extras. The running time though is off.
Old 01-26-09, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by TimTucker
For the 75% off items, do they show up at the discounted price at the little self-scan kiosks, or does the discount only appear at checkout?
All of the 75% items have new price stickers that end in 88 cents and say "clearance". The tags are before the 75% off, but as they are marked $49.88, $29.88, and $9.88, you can pretty much figure what they'll be after the discount & BSP.

I found some Haruhi Vol 1 LE's without the clearance stickers. Even though they are on the clearance list, they "weren't allowed" to print out the clearance stickers for the items. They did a temporary price drop this week on the set to $44.99, which is probably why they wont want to sell it on the clearance for $12.50.
Old 01-26-09, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
Thanks for the quick reply DVDmaniac14. I've tried the 4 FYEs that are even remotely close to me (within 100 miles) and they don't have it. Volumes 1-3 are still readily available for $8 on TRSI (and have been readily available elsewhere), but Volume 4 appears to be pretty scarce. I'm guessing they didn't make as many.
I went to FYE today and they had a copy of Volume 4 from Paranoia Agent. I purchased it considering how folks were saying it was so hard to find. They also had volumes 2 and 3.

FYE is also having a Buy 1 get 1 half off on Jan 31 2009 for Anime.
Old 01-26-09, 07:50 PM

Okay, here's a hypothetical situation: I buy something from Bestbuy.com, can I have them price match the in store kiosk price later or not? On another note, there are 2 Fye sales, one at 75% off marked items right now, and another Buy 1 Get 1 Half off as off 1-31-09?
Old 01-26-09, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, here's a hypothetical situation: I buy something from Bestbuy.com, can I have them price match the in store kiosk price later or not? On another note, there are 2 Fye sales, one at 75% off marked items right now, and another Buy 1 Get 1 Half off as off 1-31-09?
I highly doubt that BB will price match a kiosk price after the fact. The 75% off at FYE is for storewide clearance. Anime titles will vary by store. The buy 1, get 1 1/2 off on January 31 is one of their Animania events at participating locations.
Old 01-26-09, 08:02 PM

I decided to stop by FYE and Moviestop because I hadn't been there in a while. There wasn't any sales going on Anime wise at Moviestop. FYE had the 50% off selected Anime and the $10.00 off Geneon title sale going on here too. I did not see anything 75% off...then again I wasn't really looking for it either. I mainly went there looking for specific titles to complete some sets that I bought from TRSI.

While browsing I saw a sign stating on Jan 31, 2009 they are having a Buy 1 get 1 half off sale...along with some sort of cosplay contest.
Old 01-26-09, 08:03 PM

Gotcha, thanks guys.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.