Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '09

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '09

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '0

Originally Posted by WTK
This type of situation occurs more often with these type of bargain bin products that keep getting replenished. These are returns taken from other retailers including the likes of Best Buy. That is why they may not be in pristine conditions and/or missing stuff like slipcovers.
I wondered why several of the Vol 1 + Artbox DVDs that I ordered from the Right Stuf bargain bin had Best Buy price stickers on them.
Old 01-21-09, 07:56 PM

Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '0

Originally Posted by strawberry99
My absolutely favorite anime series.

Your best bet is to buy the boxset instead of tracking down volume 4. Wait for rightstuf's sale on Paranoia Agent's boxset. Plus you get a cool box as well.
Yeah, I've considered that too, but I haven't seen it cheap enough yet. How low have you seen the boxset go?
Old 01-21-09, 08:01 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 556 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
Yeah, I've considered that too, but I haven't seen it cheap enough yet. How low have you seen the boxset go?
Up towards 40% to 50% off the retail price. Check TRSI's Weekly Specials. It pops up every now and then.
Old 01-21-09, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
The lowest I have ever seen is $48.99.

A few scenarios you can take.

1. If your discs are in excellent condition without any scratches, buy the boxset at the discounted price (whenever that may be), and sell those new volume 1-3; and insert your already excellent condition into the box holding volume 4. That way your boxset is essentially new, and what you sell is new as well. Buyers always prefer buying new items at a low cost. That way, in a sense, essentially the buyer is *helping* you partially pay for the boxset that comes with volume 4.

2. If your current discs has a few minor issues (e.g. scratches), sell them and use whatever dollars you receive to fund the boxset. If you sell on ebay, be sure to set an acceptable "willing to part with" minimum price. Don't start at $0.99 hoping for a bidding war to boost them (vol 1 - 3) up to $29.99. Not having volume 4 might only bring in at max amount of $20.00 plus or minus. However, you must also take into account both ebay and paypal fees (takes away your actual profit).

3. Buy volume 4 from an available source at markup pricing. Probably not the most cost effective due to the current supply & demand curve for this product. Personally, the combination of having stand alone volumes + the thought of knowing there's an artbox available to house those singles (pardon the french) ... sucks. Thus my suggestion on buying the boxset.

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 01-21-09 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-21-09, 08:17 PM
Cool New Member

i don't know Paranoia Agent Vol.4 is so rare. I just went to my local Suncoast today and they have it for $29.99.
Death Note Boxset 1 for $29.99 and other Viz DVDs for 50% off.
Old 01-21-09, 09:31 PM

Picked up Strait Jacket @ FYE for $9.99

Found a few more titles in the 75% off. There were some Tenchi titles, some of the old DBZ dvds, and the Infinite Ryvius Boxset. Most of the single dvds were $2.50 after discount, the Ryvius boxset was $7.50. FYE pays $13.25 for the boxset, so worse case scenario i could always just sell it back
Old 01-21-09, 09:33 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by hiamiyumi
Death Note Boxset 1 for $29.99 and other Viz DVDs for 50% off.
It's part of the promotion mentioned here.
Old 01-21-09, 09:34 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Bezerker
Picked up Strait Jacket @ FYE for $9.99

Found a few more titles in the 75% off. There were some Tenchi titles, some of the old DBZ dvds, and the Infinite Ryvius Boxset. Most of the single dvds were $2.50 after discount, the Ryvius boxset was $7.50. FYE pays $13.25 for the boxset, so worse case scenario i could always just sell it back
Infinite Ryvius Boxset? That's a good find. Which version is it? Is the chipboard collection with the singles?
Old 01-22-09, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by strawberry99
The lowest I have ever seen is $48.99.

A few scenarios you can take.

1. If your discs are in excellent condition without any scratches, buy the boxset at the discounted price (whenever that may be), and sell those new volume 1-3; and insert your already excellent condition into the box holding volume 4. That way your boxset is essentially new, and what you sell is new as well. Buyers always prefer buying new items at a low cost. That way, in a sense, essentially the buyer is *helping* you partially pay for the boxset that comes with volume 4.

2. If your current discs has a few minor issues (e.g. scratches), sell them and use whatever dollars you receive to fund the boxset. If you sell on ebay, be sure to set an acceptable "willing to part with" minimum price. Don't start at $0.99 hoping for a bidding war to boost them (vol 1 - 3) up to $29.99. Not having volume 4 might only bring in at max amount of $20.00 plus or minus. However, you must also take into account both ebay and paypal fees (takes away your actual profit).

3. Buy volume 4 from an available source at markup pricing. Probably not the most cost effective due to the current supply & demand curve for this product. Personally, the combination of having stand alone volumes + the thought of knowing there's an artbox available to house those singles (pardon the french) ... sucks. Thus my suggestion on buying the boxset.
Thanks for the ideas guys. I really appreciate the help. I only own 1 & 2 right now. So, I'll probably wait for the boxset to show up at 40-50% off on TRSI, like WTK suggested. Then, I'll part with 1 & 2 somehow.
Old 01-22-09, 09:35 AM
WTK

Join the Battle for Bargains on DVDs from ADV Films @ RightStuf.com

Are you on a mission to stretch your anime dollar? Right Stuf is your ally in the battle for bargains with a not-so-secret cache of deals on titles from ADV Films – from their latest announcements (Clannad, Princess Resurrection, Kiba, Indian Summer) to rescued gems (Mahoromatic, Tsukihime, Pet Shop of Horrors) and long-time favorites in new collections (Full Metal Panic!, Kaleido Star, RahXephon).

From now through February 2, take 40% OFF the retail prices of all DVDs and 33% OFF the retail prices of merchandise from and distributed by ADV Films. (This includes pre-orders!)

How? Just use the following reusable coupon code when you check out through RightStuf.com:

Coupon Code: battle
Expires: February 2, 2009 at 11:59 p.m. CST

REMEMBER: If you’re a Got Anime member, you can stack your discounts for even more savings! (This means you have the potential to save up to 46% OFF the MSRP on DVDs and up to 40% off other merchandise from ADV Films. Check out www.gotanime.com for details.)

* Not sure which products are included in the sale? To get started, just click on the “Battle for Bargains” graphic on RightStuf.com: It will take you to a list of all of the ADV Films items we carry! (Please note: Bargain Bin, Weekly Special and Closeout items are not eligible for this sale because they’re already awesome deals, and this will be noted on the individual product pages for these items!)
Old 01-22-09, 01:13 PM

Ouch....Just when I thought I'd get a little reprieve....along comes an ADV sale.

Oh well....it's only money....food....shelter....clothing....

Kiba....you're mine!!
Old 01-22-09, 01:30 PM
Cool New Member

ADV sale! What are they doing?
Old 01-22-09, 01:31 PM

thanks
Old 01-22-09, 02:28 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by hiamiyumi
ADV sale! What are they doing?
This is to push out their upcoming titles under the Sentai Filmworks label that includes Clannad, Indian Summer, and Princess Resurrection.
Old 01-22-09, 03:43 PM

What looks good in this sale? I see Full Metal Panic! Heavy Metal Collection for $54. Are any Samurai X DVD's in this sale?
Old 01-22-09, 06:40 PM
WTK

Restocked and/or Newly Added to the Bargain Bin...

Old 01-22-09, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts

Well, however good their ADV sale is, it still isn't as good as ADV's was just shy a month ago, where most of us cleaned up. They are essentially ADV wholesale supplier/shipper anyways, so there really is no point in buying ADV products from them anymore.
Old 01-22-09, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
Restocked and/or Newly Added to the Bargain Bin...

Heh,

Gunsword. Bought and Done!
Old 01-22-09, 07:17 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Tenkyoken
What looks good in this sale? I see Full Metal Panic! Heavy Metal Collection for $54. Are any Samurai X DVD's in this sale?
Check some of the recent/upcoming releases under the Sentai Filmworks label...
Keep an eye of the re-release collections and those that were previously hard to find/OOP. Some of them are cheaper than the previous releaseas. And below, I noted a couple more things...
And lastly, is this the one that you were looking for?
Old 01-22-09, 07:19 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Eric F
Well, however good their ADV sale is, it still isn't as good as ADV's was just shy a month ago, where most of us cleaned up. They are essentially ADV wholesale supplier/shipper anyways, so there really is no point in buying ADV products from them anymore.
I'm not sure what your point is here, especially about TRSI being ADV's supplier/shipper. Bargain bin item are obviously marked down (and sometime heavily marked down). However Bargain Bin products are not eligible for studio sales.
Old 01-22-09, 07:24 PM

This is to push out their upcoming titles under the Sentai Filmworks label that includes Clannad, Indian Summer, and Princess Resurrection.
I'm just disappointed that these series are subtitled only, but I understand a company needs to save money. Of course, many people will be happy about subtitles....I think I may be in the minority.
Old 01-22-09, 07:26 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by anifan
Originally Posted by WTK
I'm just disappointed that these series are subtitled only, but I understand a company needs to save money. Of course, many people will be happy about subtitles....I think I may be in the minority.
I don't mind subbed releases. However, it would have been nice if these series got dubbed, especially for Clannad. And FYI, the Indian Summer listing is a subbed release (TRSI has a typo).
Old 01-22-09, 07:27 PM

I saw that too and came darn close to buying it...am still thinking about it.
Old 01-22-09, 07:33 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by mordaane
I saw that too and came darn close to buying it...am still thinking about it.
This release is getting hard to find (not including marketplaces like eBay/Half.com/Amazon.com Marketplace). It's not quite OOP, but there are fewer and fewer retailers stocking this particular release.
Old 01-22-09, 07:34 PM
WTK

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.