Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '09

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '09

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 02:05 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '0

Bestbuy is best place to get AnimeWork Dvds. They sell them cheap than other retailers.
I remember last year BB had a good sale for anime like Robotech - Protoculture Collection for $34,Noein boxset for $14,Tactics $15....

Last edited by hiamiyumi; 01-20-09 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 02:35 PM

Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '0

Originally Posted by fujishig
You could care less?

Anyway, like others have stated, it's not necessarily that Best Buy just has these killer deals, it's that they are a huge seller of anime, and if they all of a sudden stop carrying it, that means bad things for companies that license anime here (less sales, less money to license new shows, etc.) In fact, the sheer number of returns from all the BBs out there would be really, really bad.

I don't buy manga from bookstores like Borders either, but I'm also carefully watching what they do with their manga section...
That assumes no one else picks up Anime if Best Buy dropped it. I just don't see why everyone sees it as total endgame if Best Buy did. I certainly don't.
Old 01-20-09, 05:22 PM

I got my Royal Space Force: The Wings of Hommeamise blu-ray set in the mail today, never thought I would own a copy for that cheap. On a Side Note Space Pirate Mito is 13.99 at Bestbuy.
Old 01-20-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by mordaane
That assumes no one else picks up Anime if Best Buy dropped it. I just don't see why everyone sees it as total endgame if Best Buy did. I certainly don't.
If Bestbuy doesn't find selling anime at B&M stores profitable anymore, what big box retailer would step up to pick up the slack? Will Wal-mart all of a sudden expand past the dozen titles they have? Target? Costco?

The point is moot for now anyway, since the article was retracted. But don't blind yourself to the dependency niche companies have on the bigger stores ordering from them.
Old 01-20-09, 06:34 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 556 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky101
I stop by two Best Buys this week to check on things and I noticed the stores didn't have "Silent Mobius Motion Picture Steelbook" on the shelves. They had at least 4 to 5 copies a couple of weeks ago. Did they pull them to decrease the anime section or did they really sale.
I checked availablity online at Best Buy and it says Limited and none of the stores here in San Antonio carry it. Any word on what might have happened?
Someone @ AoD has said that Best Buy has recently start to pull more anime titles. They are getting sent back. As for the Silent Möbius Motion Picture (LE), they carried the first one. However they never carried the second one.
Old 01-20-09, 06:35 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by hiamiyumi
Bestbuy is best place to get AnimeWork Dvds. They sell them cheap than other retailers.
MB is going through a phase that their releases will be really slowing down. Don't expect much new MB releases @ BB (if at all). It remains to be seen if their live-action titles will stay its course (as there were numerous delays).
Old 01-20-09, 06:37 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Drahksenzu
I got my Royal Space Force: The Wings of Hommeamise blu-ray set in the mail today, never thought I would own a copy for that cheap. On a Side Note Space Pirate Mito is 13.99 at Bestbuy.
It sounds everyone here and over @ AoD got their copy. That's great to hear.

That Space Pirate Mito: Complete Anthology is a Best Buy B&M exclusive (at least at the moment). It's not a bad price to get Space Pirate Mito and Aoi & Mutsuki: A Pair of Queens.
Old 01-20-09, 06:40 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by fujishig
If Bestbuy doesn't find selling anime at B&M stores profitable anymore, what big box retailer would step up to pick up the slack? Will Wal-mart all of a sudden expand past the dozen titles they have? Target? Costco?

The point is moot for now anyway, since the article was retracted. But don't blind yourself to the dependency niche companies have on the bigger stores ordering from them.
Let's please drop this subject in this thread...it's has gone long enough. If you feel like discuss this furthermore, please post them in the Official ANIME Discussion Thread. Thanks...
Old 01-20-09, 07:58 PM

Just got Mushi shi dvd 1 + artbox, 3,4,5,6 in the mail today from Rightstuf. Very happy even though I thought the artbox was glossy like the baki boxes. Anyway, dvd 4 came crumbled like cookies and how do I exchange it? Probably on the site, but at first glance couldn't find it, and am too busy too look up right now? can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by Tenkyoken; 01-20-09 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 08:03 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Tenkyoken
Just got Mushi shi dvd 1 + artbox, 3,4,5,6 in the mail today from Rightstuf. Very happy even though I thought the artbox was glossy like the baki boxes. Anyway, dvd 4 came crumbled like cookies and how do I exchange it? Probably on the site, but at first glance couldn't find it, and am too busy too look up right now? can anyone point me in the right direction?
Call (1.800.338.6827) or email ([email protected]) customer service. They will give you a RA #. If the damage is of their fault or during transit, you will be be able to get your S/H refunded. This page should answer any additional questions.
Old 01-20-09, 08:59 PM

Just wondering?

Was the actual DVD broken or just the case? I got one were the case was smashed to bits but the actual DVD was fine with no scratches. I got them to send me a Blank Case.

* On a side note TRSI restocked a couple Azumanga Daioh and Fate/Stay Night volumes in the bargain bin with very small amounts...Buy em while you can.
Old 01-20-09, 10:02 PM

The case was broken. They sent you a blank case? That's interesting. Was the dvd's slipcover with blank case? I already emailed them, but I'll specify the case was broken next. Thanks for the info mate.
Old 01-20-09, 10:37 PM

The case was broken. They sent you a blank case? That's interesting. Was the dvd's slipcover with blank case? I already emailed them, but I'll specify the case was broken next. Thanks for the info mate.
The DVD itself was fine with no scratches and the slipcover artwork had no damage. All I asked from them was a blank dvd holder (in this case a clear one instead of a black one).

I just did not see the point in sending it all back when all I needed was a blank dvd case. Half of the pegs were broken that holds the disc in place and the case was cracked.

I told them to place it in one of my orders since I have been ordering stuff almost every week with them so they could save shipping but they shipped it a part from my other Anime orders.

It just so happens the DVD in question was Mushi-Shi Volume 1 with me. I actually ordered two copies of Volume 1 and both arrived with similar damage which led me to complain.
Old 01-20-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't believe I missed out on the Naruto set
Old 01-20-09, 11:22 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Abe.
Can't believe I missed out on the Naruto set
Well, on the plus side you save $220. Regardless it was one of the better prices I have seen per set.
Old 01-20-09, 11:25 PM

The DVD itself was fine with no scratches and the slipcover artwork had no damage. All I asked from them was a blank dvd holder (in this case a clear one instead of a black one).

I just did not see the point in sending it all back when all I needed was a blank dvd case. Half of the pegs were broken that holds the disc in place and the case was cracked.

I told them to place it in one of my orders since I have been ordering stuff almost every week with them so they could save shipping but they shipped it a part from my other Anime orders.

It just so happens the DVD in question was Mushi-Shi Volume 1 with me. I actually ordered two copies of Volume 1 and both arrived with similar damage which led me to complain.
Unfortunately, the slipcover was torn down the spine as well. In Volume 3, somehow the inserts ended up torn in half as well, without any damage to the actual case. I think it might have been the security tape on the side that punctured the inserts. I' really happy that I got seemingly the last copy of the Artbox, but a little miffed, that the case was damaged and the inserst on the other one crumply. I'd rather not go through all the hassle of return and exchange but we'll see.
Old 01-20-09, 11:25 PM

Me too, little depressed on missing that set. $22 per set is not bad.
Old 01-20-09, 11:27 PM
WTK

Unfortunately, the slipcover was torn down the spine as well. In Volume 3, somehow the inserts ended up torn in half as well, without any damage to the actual case. I think it might have been the security tape on the side that punctured the inserts. I' really happy that I got seemingly the last copy of the Artbox, but a little miffed, that the case was damaged and the inserst on the other one crumply. I'd rather not go through all the hassle of return and exchange but we'll see.
This type of situation occurs more often with these type of bargain bin products that keep getting replenished. These are returns taken from other retailers including the likes of Best Buy. That is why they may not be in pristine conditions and/or missing stuff like slipcovers.
Old 01-20-09, 11:30 PM

I have no problem not getting gold medal worthy dvds, after all I am paying $5 apiece. Just expected a little better than cracks down spines.
Old 01-21-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't gotten Royal Space Force: The Wings of Hommeamise BD yet. In fact, it's still back-ordered for me. I hope they ship it soon.

I still haven't gotten a shipping notice for the Jin-Roh set I ordered from Anime Nation either. Both companies already charged me for the items... so it's a waiting game.
Old 01-21-09, 07:33 AM

Anyone know where I can find Paranoia Agent Vol. 4 on the cheap? I bought Volumes 1 & 2 cheap quite a while ago, but never got around to buying 3 & 4. I see that TRSI has Vol. 3 for $8, but I can't seem to find anything less than $38 plus shipping for Vol. 4 and that's a single seller on eBay.
Old 01-21-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
Anyone know where I can find Paranoia Agent Vol. 4 on the cheap? I bought Volumes 1 & 2 cheap quite a while ago, but never got around to buying 3 & 4. I see that TRSI has Vol. 3 for $8, but I can't seem to find anything less than $38 plus shipping for Vol. 4 and that's a single seller on eBay.
Paranoia Agent was a Geneon title that has been OOP for a while now...it has yet to be reacquired (tho i have NO IDEA WHY..such a great series). But im sure it will be difficult to track down vol. 4. Your best bet is going to be FYE (if you have one near you) as their anime section is usually pretty plentiful and there's a promo going on where you can get $10 off all geneon anime (sometimes 50% off but it's YMMV depending on store)
Old 01-21-09, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
Paranoia Agent was a Geneon title that has been OOP for a while now...it has yet to be reacquired (tho i have NO IDEA WHY..such a great series). But im sure it will be difficult to track down vol. 4. Your best bet is going to be FYE (if you have one near you) as their anime section is usually pretty plentiful and there's a promo going on where you can get $10 off all geneon anime (sometimes 50% off but it's YMMV depending on store)
Thanks for the quick reply DVDmaniac14. I've tried the 4 FYEs that are even remotely close to me (within 100 miles) and they don't have it. Volumes 1-3 are still readily available for $8 on TRSI (and have been readily available elsewhere), but Volume 4 appears to be pretty scarce. I'm guessing they didn't make as many.
Old 01-21-09, 09:07 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Thanks for the quick reply DVDmaniac14. I've tried the 4 FYEs that are even remotely close to me (within 100 miles) and they don't have it. Volumes 1-3 are still readily available for $8 on TRSI (and have been readily available elsewhere), but Volume 4 appears to be pretty scarce. I'm guessing they didn't make as many.
try half.com or the amazon marketplace. (however even there it's going for like $60)
Old 01-21-09, 01:26 PM

My absolutely favorite anime series.

Your best bet is to buy the boxset instead of tracking down volume 4. Wait for rightstuf's sale on Paranoia Agent's boxset. Plus you get a cool box as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.