Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Update Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bar code on the DVD case of my "Dr. No" from Big Lots is 027616-8123-2
and here is a link to DVDEmpire that matches that bar code- http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=245284
I opened it up and the booklet is included and mint and the DVD itself is also perfect shape. Here are the extras listed on the back of the DVD-
"This Ultimate Special Editon of DR. No" includes-
Audio Commentary Featuring Director Terence Young, The Cast and Crew
"Inside Dr. No" Documentary
"Terence Young: Bond Vivant" Documentary
Featurette
Exciting Still Gallery
Original TV Ads
Radio Spots
Original Theatrical Trailers
Collectible "Making-Of" Booklet

Last edited by Keith123; 12-03-08 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 04:22 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stopped by the Independence MO Big Lots today hoping to pick up at least a couple of 007's.
Man,their DVD selection was pitiful
0 Bonds,a couple of Super Daves(i put this one on my Christmas list so I didn't buy it),Lord of the Ringers(??)and just a few others.
I was disappointed but not surprised since they had signs up all over the place announcing that they are closing and everything(i think)is 20% off.
Old 12-03-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rider555
I stopped by the Independence MO Big Lots today hoping to pick up at least a couple of 007's.
0 Bonds,a couple of Super Daves(i put this one on my Christmas list so I didn't buy it),Lord of the Ringers(??)and just a few others.
I was disappointed but not surprised since they had signs up all over the place announcing that they are closing and everything(i think)is 20% off.
The Blue Springs store was overflowing with Bond Monday. It looked like they had damn near every one, including multiple copies of most.
Old 12-03-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought all 20 Bonds and they all have booklets in case anyone was wondering.
Old 12-03-08, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
The Box set I have has slim packs with the inserts and discs, so I doubt these are from a boxset.

The original box sets had keep cases and they looked identical to these discs at Big Lots. If I remeber correctly the keep cases in the original box sets were not sealed individualy and each booklet was included in the keep case. It is very possible these are from the original box sets
Old 12-04-08, 05:45 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by rider555
The store on 95th on the Kansas side is closing as well and had the signs up. Clerk said 3 stores were closing in the KC metro area. Probably no recent shipments cause dvds were depleted. Not a single Bond. I did pick up a few anime titles that I hadn't seen before. I'm going to check out the Nieman Rd location in Shawnee.
Old 12-04-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowlt4
The original box sets had keep cases and they looked identical to these discs at Big Lots. If I remeber correctly the keep cases in the original box sets were not sealed individualy and each booklet was included in the keep case. It is very possible these are from the original box sets
You are correct. That is how my "Volume 2" set was packaged.
Old 12-04-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Another of the 3 BL's in my city got in 1 box of 30 HBO restocks. They told me they're expecting another batch of the $2.00 dvd's tomorrow. I'll post what they are as soon as i see them.
Old 12-05-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got to go through the new $2 batch. It's an assortment of Lion's gate/Artisan titles. I'll try to post some titles later this weekend. Short version is, I've never heard of 90% of the films, though many do have known actors. Absolutely nothing I was really excited by.

The only title I remember off the top of my head is a Special Edition of Shanghai Surprise (not the same as the standard edition BL had a few months ago).
Old 12-05-08, 04:45 PM

Went to the Big Lots in Huber Heights, OH and saw nothing new in DVD stock since last Black Friday. I've got a $10 off coupon from last weeks sale ready to use but same 'ol DVD's. They still have a chunk of Bonds left with multiples of some titles. Dang, I don't want to spend the $10 coupon on food or other stuff I need at Big Lots, I want to blow it on DVD's!
Old 12-05-08, 08:11 PM

Went to Big Lots in Warner Robins GA today found alot of what everyone else has been seeing including all the Bonds. The only one I got that had not been mentioned was (the original) KIng Kong.
Old 12-05-08, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I got to go through the new $2 batch. It's an assortment of Lion's gate/Artisan titles.
None of these at my local store. No Bonds either. Got 10 Warner. Would have got more but the only thing I hate more than snappers is snappers with their UPCs sliced!!! I got 1 snapper and the rest keep-cases.
Old 12-05-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a list of $2 Lions Gate/Artisan Xmas titles I saw:
A Christmas Carol (Hallmark TV 2004)
Hum Bug
Mr. St Nick
Chasing Christmas
Snow Queen (Hallmark)
Koala Brothers Outback Christmas

Will post non-xmas Lions Gate titles soon.
Old 12-06-08, 12:10 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

since about 40% of the posts in this thread concern The Notorious Bettie Page, i thought i'd just pass on that today the real Bettie Page had heart attack and is in a coma now.
Old 12-06-08, 02:18 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081206/...e_hospitalized
('The Notorious Bettie Page' is awful bytheway)
Old 12-06-08, 04:03 AM

Hit up 3 stores in the Fresno area to see if any of the 007 movies were left and there were none to be found.
Old 12-06-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bonds are gone here too. Because of the way the local BL puts out sale items (Wed. ad items go out for Sunday sale!?!) there were only 4 on the shelf the day I visited and one of those was "hidden" with the regular DVDs. I'm hoping someone will put the "Ultimate Edition" sets on sale for ~$20 again this year as I was tapped out when that happened last year. With 5 films/set it works out to be the same price as BL but packaged in slim packs.
Old 12-06-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm hoping someone will put the "Ultimate Edition" sets on sale for ~$20 again this year as I was tapped out when that happened last year. With 5 films/set it works out to be the same price as BL but packaged in slim packs.
FYI - The Ultimate sets were on sale at Best Buy last week for $24.99, and are $29.99 this week. Two discs per movie, plus 2 movie tickets to see QoS on each package. May only be available in store, though.
Old 12-06-08, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081206/...e_hospitalized
('The Notorious Bettie Page' is awful bytheway)
I liked it........But then again, hot naked women tend to cloud my judgement.
Old 12-06-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
FYI - The Ultimate sets were on sale at Best Buy last week for $24.99, and are $29.99 this week. Two discs per movie, plus 2 movie tickets to see QoS on each package. May only be available in store, though.
Yes, I saw that in Speedy's BB ad post, but that's more than I'm willing to pay (even with the tickets as I have no interest in seeing anything in a theater anymore. Too many cell phones, rude people who feel the need to constantly talk, babies, noisy kids, etc...), plus sales tax and shipping kills it. The closest BB is over 80 miles from my house. Thanks anyway!

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-06-08 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-06-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Warner display is up at Knollwood (St. Louis Park.) My haul:

Band Wagon (2 disc SE)
Diner
East of Eden (2 disc SE)
Eyes Wide Shut
Exorcist (25th Anniversary)
Gigi
Look, Up In the Sky: Amazing Story of Superman
Mighty Joe Young
Network
Petrified Forest
Strange Brew
Tall In the Saddle
Old 12-06-08, 06:03 PM
Cool New Member

Stopped into my local BL to maybe grab a couple of Bonds (specifically DR NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE), and when I walked in, I was passed by a woman on her way out who had just bought (according to a cashier I know) literally every copy of every Bond in the store.

Word spread like wildfire to the people going through the DVDs. I've never seen so many walk out of a store so quickly.
Old 12-06-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by EarlB
Stopped into my local BL to maybe grab a couple of Bonds (specifically DR NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE), and when I walked in, I was passed by a woman on her way out who had just bought (according to a cashier I know) literally every copy of every Bond in the store.

Word spread like wildfire to the people going through the DVDs. I've never seen so many walk out of a store so quickly.
And they are probably all already on ebay. I did buy 20 of the $2 movies, half for me and half as stocking stuffers, so maybe she was too? But then again I did get specific things for specific people and not just grab them all.
Old 12-06-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EarlB

Man, I hate it when people do that.
Old 12-07-08, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hard Hunted ASF
I thought it was odd that Big Lots or MGM would sell used copies & not have a notice on the packages. Thanks.
I hit the 3 BL's within driving distance here in NJ a few days ago.
S. Plainfield had no Bonds. A few Warner's.
Springfield had a few stray Bonds - mostly Moore's and Dalton's. No Warner's.
Clifton = no Warner's but a Bond jackpot! They had every film from Dr. No to Die Another Day. 2-3 of copies of each. I bought six of them:
Dr No.
From Russia With Love
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (this is the one I wanted most)
Diamonds Are Forever

Didn't buy Goldfinger cos I already have it. I really wish these had been the new frame-by-frame restoration versions - but I'm still happy to have them.

None of mine have title stickers, and they look like shrinkwrap instead of fold-cornered factory seal. I haven't opened any yet. I'd rather think they were from box sets than used. They should be marked as such if they are.

I haven't seen any other mention of this here, but the Springfield store had a few titles that were selling for $8, and were clearly marked as "previously viewed". I can't recall them all, but I know I saw Cloverfield and 3:10 To Yuma (Bale/Crowe).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.