Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The Official Borders Coupon Thread volume 2 - Updated Weekly

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official Borders Coupon Thread volume 2 - Updated Weekly

The 20% store coupon is interesting as it doesn't apply to just one item and it isn't restricted to List price. It states "discount combines with sale pricing and promotions". I may have to stop by the store as soon as the weather allows and see if I can find some deals.
Old 02-02-11, 10:15 PM

Is anyone else having problems accessing your account at Borders.com, or placing an order at Borders.com?

When I try to log in I get an error message and if I try to place items in a shopping cart I also get a message telling me that I can't place that item in my cart at this time due to "technical difficulties."

This has been going on for three days and I wonder if it is related to their financial problems. I just called their 800-number for customer service and the rep says they are aware of problems and are trying to fix them. But he offered no further details. I also went to my local Borders store earlier today and used up my Borders bucks just in case. The check-out clerk was ignorant regarding website problems. But she said that if they do file for bankruptcy they will close a lot of stores - especially those Borders Express stores - but will continue to operate the better performing stores, so she thinks that gift cards and Borders bucks shouldn't be wiped out. Of course, what does she know? She even asked me if I wanted to upgrade my Borders Rewards membership. I said, "Not at this time."

I would appreciate any info that anyone has.
Old 02-02-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by greylocke5
Is anyone else having problems accessing your account at Borders.com, or placing an order at Borders.com?

When I try to log in I get an error message and if I try to place items in a shopping cart I also get a message telling me that I can't place that item in my cart at this time due to "technical difficulties."

This has been going on for three days and I wonder if it is related to their financial problems. I just called their 800-number for customer service and the rep says they are aware of problems and are trying to fix them. But he offered no further details. I also went to my local Borders store earlier today and used up my Borders bucks just in case. The check-out clerk was ignorant regarding website problems. But she said that if they do file for bankruptcy they will close a lot of stores - especially those Borders Express stores - but will continue to operate the better performing stores, so she thinks that gift cards and Borders bucks shouldn't be wiped out. Of course, what does she know? She even asked me if I wanted to upgrade my Borders Rewards membership. I said, "Not at this time."

I had that problem with Borders.com a few weeks ago and, as I recall, I just had to clear the browser cache. I may have deleted the Borders cookies as well.

I placed an order earlier today so I think the site is fine.
Old 02-03-11, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greylocke5

I haven't had any problems. I placed two orders last night trying to use up my gift cards.

Oh and...

Originally Posted by Randy Hassan
They charge your card immediately--not after the item ships. But your remaining balance will continue to be available, so you'll still have the $5.
Thanks for the response, that worked just fine. One of the few things that the Borders website seems to do that makes sense.
Old 02-03-11, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Thanks! I'll look around and see if these bring anything down to a respectable price. I have all month to use the rewards, so I'm in no real hurry.
Yeah, as others have pointed out, you had better redeem any and all giftcards/reward points/etc. ASAP. I read recently that Borders has hired bankruptcy counsel. It is very possible that the other shoe will drop soon and without notice.
Old 02-04-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For Rewards Plus members only.
40% off list price on any item in store. Good through 2/7/11
Old 02-04-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwstl
For Rewards Plus members only.
40% off list price on any item in store. Good through 2/7/11
I'm surprised that they aren't flooding us with coupons in an attempt to generate a huige cash-flow.

As for gift-cards dying, I just used a gift-card at Blockbuster a few weeks ago and haven't they been in bankruptcy for years?
Old 02-04-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

People seem to equate bankruptcy with going out of business (Chapter 7), but there are other types of bankruptcy. You can file a Chapter 11 bankruptcy which lets you reorganize your business and continue operating. You can even come out of a Chapter 11 and resume normal operation if you get your act together.
Old 02-04-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
People seem to equate bankruptcy with going out of business (Chapter 7), but there are other types of bankruptcy. You can file a Chapter 11 bankruptcy which lets you reorganize your business and continue operating. You can even come out of a Chapter 11 and resume normal operation if you get your act together.
No one knows if it's going to happen and if it does if it will be 7 or 11. All we have right now are educated rumors. I'll continue to buy from them as long as I get coupons and find deals but I'm not going to sit on any Borders Bucks or gift cards.
Old 02-11-11, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Borders Rewards Exclusive Offer
Any One Item 40 % off list price Valid 2/11/11 through 2/14/11

In–Store: Print & Present Coupon
or Show It on Your Mobile Device
At Borders.com:
Use Promo Code

BGU1523U
Old 02-11-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Overpar

or Show It on Your Mobile Device
At Borders.com:
Use Promo Code

BGU1523U
Thanks. I picked up Mother Blu-ray for 9.72 plus tax after coupon and Rewards Plus discount. It's been on my Borders, Amazon and B&N wish lists for awhile but I've held off because it had a list price of $30 with a selling price of $21-$30. Today I noticed the list price at Borders dropped to 17.99 which made it a nice deal with the coupon. Interestingly, it's still selling at Amazon for 20.49 with a list of $30.
Old 02-11-11, 07:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Overpar
BGU1523U
Would love to use this before Borders goes under. OP - can You supply a link to the printable coupon? Thanks!
Old 02-11-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not the OP but I have the link to the store coupon. I also have a second 40% off online code.

40% Store Coupon

40% off online through 2/14/11: BXP8221X
Old 02-11-11, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ Thank You!
For some reason Borders doesn't like to send me e-mails, so this is appreciated.
Old 02-11-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Chapter 11 filing beginning as early as Monday:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...865644420.html
Old 02-11-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am SOOOO glad I returned my Rewards Plus membership. I bought it 12/31, but after hearing bankruptcy rumors, I returned it on 1/30, the last possible day. But I'll still get them my business for now, thanks to the coupons. I just hope Rewards Bucks don't disappear anytime soon, since I have $15 to redeem in March (from E-rewards that I cashed in).
Old 02-12-11, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I am SOOOO glad I returned my Rewards Plus membership. I bought it 12/31, but after hearing bankruptcy rumors, I returned it on 1/30, the last possible day. But I'll still get them my business for now, thanks to the coupons. I just hope Rewards Bucks don't disappear anytime soon, since I have $15 to redeem in March (from E-rewards that I cashed in).
Why return the membership if you still plan to buy from them? They aren't going anywhere in the next few months and it's not like you are out much if they do go out of business. I've only had my membership a short time but I've saved much more than the $25 it cost so even if they were gone tomorrow I'm still ahead. I think they gave me $20 in Borders Bucks when I joined so I didn't have to spend much to make my money back. I hope they can fix things because I have good memories of Borders, but the affects of so many bad decisions will be hard to overcome.
Old 02-12-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

There is some interesting stuff here. Inferno (BD) is $23.99 and standard DVD is $15.99. With 40% off coupon the BD comes out to $14.40 + tax. These are both pre order prices. I believe the BD of Vampire Circus is the same $23.99 price.

Last Tango in Paris (BD) is $17.99 before 40% so there are deal's to be had here.
Old 02-12-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jwstl
Why return the membership if you still plan to buy from them? They aren't going anywhere in the next few months and it's not like you are out much if they do go out of business. I've only had my membership a short time but I've saved much more than the $25 it cost so even if they were gone tomorrow I'm still ahead. I think they gave me $20 in Borders Bucks when I joined so I didn't have to spend much to make my money back. I hope they can fix things because I have good memories of Borders, but the affects of so many bad decisions will be hard to overcome.
I'm not going to be spending $200 there, which is what I'd have to spend to recoup the $20 membership fee...
Old 02-12-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by illennium
Chapter 11 filing beginning as early as Monday:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...865644420.html
Bad news for my friends that still work for the company.

Though it's odd to finally see some concrete news, rather than the constant rumors about the company's future that have been brewing for the past 1.5 years.
Old 02-12-11, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Does anyone know why Borders upped the minimum for FS to $40? It used to be $25 for standard Borders Rewards members like myself.
Old 02-12-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Does anyone know why Borders upped the minimum for FS to $40? It used to be $25 for standard Borders Rewards members like myself.
It's still $25 for standard Borders Rewards. It's $40 if you're a non-member.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/..._free-shipping
Old 02-12-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
It's still $25 for standard Borders Rewards. It's $40 if you're a non-member.
Another keen decision from the astute business minds of Borders' management.
Old 02-12-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see them going under by year's end. Slowly but surely they'll be closing up shop for good in the coming months time.
Old 02-12-11, 07:43 PM

Wall Street Journal 2/12:

The troubled Ann Arbor, Mich., bookseller could file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy-protection as soon as Monday or Tuesday, paving the way for hundreds of store closings and thousands of job losses, said people familiar with the matter.

Now, Borders is preparing for a costly and time-consuming trip through bankruptcy court, where it will seek to close about a third of its 674 Borders and Waldenbooks stores, the people familiar with the matter said. Borders also would cut swathes of its 19,500 staff as it attempts to reinvent itself to compete with Amazon and its hot-selling Kindle reader, and Barnes & Noble Inc., the nation's largest bookstore chain and maker of the Nook e-reader.

Borders recently hired turnaround firm AlixPartners and has been talking to bankruptcy advisers from law firm Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman and investment bank Jefferies & Co. for several weeks.Liquidators are currently bidding to earn the right to close about 200 of Borders' stores, with an option to shutter another 50 or so on similar terms, according to people familiar with the company's plans.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.